Wholegrain DynPEQ
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Wholegrain DynPEQ

Hi members,

Does anybody ever heard about this company ?

http://www.wholegrain-ds.com/products/dynpeq/

I began working with Trio ( 3 bands only compared to another plugin called Quartet=4) for mastering tasks & I must say that this plugin is absolutely amazing !

I experienced weird GUI due to the dark mode in Pro Tools. Except that issue the sound is very transparent & reactive in a way I didn't hear before compared to my Flux Alchemist, Sonnox DynEQ etc...

Surprisingly I didn't see lots of comments here on Gearslutz in the mastering forum. Is there any ME familiar with it ? I couldn't find lots of tutorials or ressources on youTube for learning about Trio.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Arnold
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldorodeo ➡️
Hi members,

Does anybody ever heard about this company ?

http://www.wholegrain-ds.com/products/dynpeq/

I began working with Trio ( 3 bands only compared to another plugin called Quartet=4) for mastering tasks & I must say that this plugin is absolutely amazing !

I experienced weird GUI due to the dark mode in Pro Tools. Except that issue the sound is very transparent & reactive in a way I didn't hear before compared to my Flux Alchemist, Sonnox DynEQ etc...

Surprisingly I didn't see lots of comments here on Gearslutz in the mastering forum. Is there any ME familiar with it ? I couldn't find lots of tutorials or ressources on youTube for learning about Trio.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Arnold
I don't think this is a very popular plugin. Reasons being 1. It's a strange GUI for most, too low fi, people like their whiz-bang looking tools. And this can lead some to think the plugin must also sound lesser than... 2. It used to be insanely expensive for a plugin. Although the price has been considerably lowered, it's still pretty pricey. 3. It's not the most straight forward user experience. The dynamics section can be confusing for those who don't want to read manuals etc. 4. The bottom panel where presets are stored etc. is not the most intuitive.

I got into an email dialog with the developer early on in the plugins release. Basically what I took away from the conversation was, is that he didn't want to sacrifice any power in the plugins performance or quality. So things like overall look, ballistics in the dynamics section, as well as some other elements that were discussed and that I no longer remember, took a bit of a backseat so to speak. I do think that he's resolved some things. But in my opinion, until he makes it look like your typical modern visual vibe of plugins these days. Makes certain aspects of the plugin more user friendly and dumbed down, many will continue to steer away from it.

In my own experience, there aren't too many plugins that can match the performance of this tool on program material. It's a DEEP plugin, and covers a lot of ground. I tend to use it for clean up and control duties. Dynamic eq to tighten up the bottom end, or clean up some low mid muck. I'll do some subtle boosts in the upper mids, but simultaneously do some dynamic eq ducking in that same region. I'll also do some expansion as well if I find something like a snare needs to poke, but I don't want anything else effected. I've also used it as a de-esser due to it's ridiculously high ratio capabilities when other's I usually lean on fail. As well as dynamically control overall noise issues. In my opinion, this is like a Weiss dynamic eq meets a Finalizer...sorta. I've even used the Limiter to good effect when I've need a touch of limiting prior to a brick wall limiter to ease up some of the peaks going in...

Killer plugin...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It looks like it has a plethora of useful features, and I take engmix's word that it's killer, but honestly I wouldn't be able to withstand looking at it every day. The color literally turns my stomach. Blech!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx ➡️
It looks like it has a plethora of useful features, and I take engmix's word that it's killer, but honestly I wouldn't be able to withstand looking at it every day. The color literally turns my stomach. Blech!
Much appreciated...and I hear ya. It's hard to take sometimes. I put the slider for the color in the brightest mode, and only then can I see the parameters. Hopefully the developer is keeping an eye out on this thread and will take your comment to heart. Engineers of your level are their potential clientele. He's really missing out...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix ➡️
I don't think this is a very popular plugin. Reasons being 1. It's a strange GUI for most, too low fi, people like their whiz-bang looking tools. And this can lead some to think the plugin must also sound lesser than... 2. It used to be insanely expensive for a plugin. Although the price has been considerably lowered, it's still pretty pricey. 3. It's not the most straight forward user experience. The dynamics section can be confusing for those who don't want to read manuals etc. 4. The bottom panel where presets are stored etc. is not the most intuitive.

I got into an email dialog with the developer early on in the plugins release. Basically what I took away from the conversation was, is that he didn't want to sacrifice any power in the plugins performance or quality. So things like overall look, ballistics in the dynamics section, as well as some other elements that were discussed and that I no longer remember, took a bit of a backseat so to speak. I do think that he's resolved some things. But in my opinion, until he makes it look like your typical modern visual vibe of plugins these days. Makes certain aspects of the plugin more user friendly and dumbed down, many will continue to steer away from it.

In my own experience, there aren't too many plugins that can match the performance of this tool on program material. It's a DEEP plugin, and covers a lot of ground. I tend to use it for clean up and control duties. Dynamic eq to tighten up the bottom end, or clean up some low mid muck. I'll do some subtle boosts in the upper mids, but simultaneously do some dynamic eq ducking in that same region. I'll also do some expansion as well if I find something like a snare needs to poke, but I don't want anything else effected. I've also used it as a de-esser due to it's ridiculously high ratio capabilities when other's I usually lean on fail. As well as dynamically control overall noise issues. In my opinion, this is like a Weiss dynamic eq meets a Finalizer...sorta. I've even used the Limiter to good effect when I've need a touch of limiting prior to a brick wall limiter to ease up some of the peaks going in...

Killer plugin...
How does it compare to multiplicity for example? I can look at a god awful gui if it sounds amazing. So much cheaper than it used to be!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Btw, are you getting much milage from your Drawmer EQ?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Much appreciated...and I hear ya. It's hard to take sometimes. I put the slider for the color in the brightest mode, and only then can I see the parameters. Hopefully the developer is keeping an eye out on this thread and will take your comment to heart. Engineers of your level are their potential clientele. He's really missing out...
I'm no coder but AFAIK it's pretty simple to give the user choices of different "skins". So if someone likes the current puke color they can keep it, but I could choose poop color!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
How does it compare to multiplicity for example? I can look at a god awful gui if it sounds amazing. So much cheaper than it used to be!
I've never used Multiplicity, so I can't chime in on that question. It seems like although there are some similarities, there are also some aspects of each plugin that do vary from one another. It's possible that it comes down to user needs and how one works. For me, I have found myself not clicking with DMG products. I even own their Track Comp...and I find myself not using it. Perhaps when you get to this level of quality, it comes down to some minute x-factors, just like with hardware.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Btw, are you getting much milage from your Drawmer EQ?
Absolutely. I've been using a 1961 since 1996 so I know how to get a lot of nice sounds out of it. Loads of character. Even set flat it adds great harmonics throughout the spectrum. The drawback is fine adjustments and recall because of the small knobs, but I'm used to that. Now that I have The Oven and Michelangelo, the 1961 is set flat more often than it used to be, but it still saves the day at least once a week, and it's boxtone is integral to my chain.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm no coder but AFAIK it's pretty simple to give the user choices of different "skins". So if someone likes the current puke color they can keep it, but I could choose poop color!
Well when you put it like that, yeah of course, more poop color!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely. I've been using a 1961 since 1996 so I know how to get a lot of nice sounds out of it. Loads of character. Even set flat it adds great harmonics throughout the spectrum. The drawback is fine adjustments and recall because of the small knobs, but I'm used to that. Now that I have The Oven and Michelangelo, the 1961 is set flat more often than it used to be, but it still saves the day at least once a week, and it's boxtone is integral to my chain.
I'm not really mastering all that much these days, mostly mixing and producing. But I have a similar experience with my Drawmer 1973. I have a really hard time not slinging it on the tail end of my mix bus. It has that something something that never seems to fail. It's not a tube or heavy transformer unit. But still, it's got a vibe.
📝 Reply