Quantcast
Streaming Volume vs My Master ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Streaming Volume vs My Master ?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Streaming Volume vs My Master ?

If YouTube Music plays all music at the same basic LUFS, let's say -13 , then why does the music I master to an average of basically the same LUFS, play back from my phone Bluetooth at significantly lower volume than a commercial song directly from YouTube Music?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
YT normalization reference level is (currently) -14LUFS. Just FYI.

It's hard to say without hearing your tracks. It could be imbalances in the frequency response or lack of clarity/vividness. Competing with the majors ain't easy.

But there are also many stories of people who mastered to streaming "targets" and then found their tracks didn't stack up with commercial tracks that were mastered much hotter and then normalized down. You might experiment with mastering to different levels and see what happens on YT.
Old 1 day ago
While YouTube employs mandatory loudness normalization with a target level of -14 LUFS, YouTube Music does not support loudness normalization. So you are listening to those commercial tracks at their original levels.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindtree ➡️
While YouTube employs mandatory loudness normalization with a target level of -14 LUFS, YouTube Music does not support loudness normalization. So you are listening to those commercial tracks at their original levels.
Ah, good point! I always forget about YouTube Music as a separate entity from YouTube. Yeah, that'll do it alright! Most of those tracks will sound nearly twice as loud and the OP's -13 masters...
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindtree ➡️
I was unaware that YouTube Music was playing back tracks at their original levels. In my case I was referencing a Taylor Swift song (Red). I simply record it from YouTube Music into my interface, then into Cubase. Not perfect, what with the extra conversion... but I'm showing it at around -6 LUFS! Geese, no wonder.. even when I pull the volume down on the reference, to my current mix LUFS, it still sounds much louder.
📝 Reply