2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Best clipper is stilwell evenhorizon period
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering ➡️
It's not technically a raw clipper, but I find that Fabfilter Pro-L in 'Aggressive' mode sounds very much like clipping but with fewer negative artefacts.
+1 for FF Aggressive mode. It's become an essential part of my workflow, for mixing as well as mastering. I'll push into it like a compressor, on buses as well as the master bus. Using FF Aggressive on a "music master" subgroup — all of the instruments, none of the vocals — and hitting it like 6dB or so just effortlessly keeps the bass and kick away from each other in electronic music, without really any pumping, and while taking 6dB of transients out of the master bus compressor. Everything just floats. And then you can contour the kick drum with the release time. It's like a magic trick.

+1 also for StandardClip. I tend to use it at 8x oversampling. I also tend to see first whether I can get away with a little of the soft-clip saturator, because sometimes it gives things a simultaneous density and space, which I know sounds contradictory. If I can't get a sound I like with that, I'll pull that slider down to 0 and just do soft clipping. I never really use any mode on this other than Soft Clip Classic.

I'll do clipping anywhere in the chain, really. Most often before the final limiter. Second most often that but with an EQ in between. Third most often up before the compressor, if I'm using a compressor and if it's reacting a bit too much. It doesn't seem to my ears personally as though there are a lot of wrong answers here.

And +1 on not really feeling KClip3. I really did try. But I'm back to KClip1.

Last edited by hilljam; 1 week ago at 10:21 AM.. Reason: clarity in the second paragraph
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe ➡️
Totally overlooked: Airwindows ClipOnly2. Best and most transparent clipper ever, even better than Standard Clip. And you can't mess it up with wrong values for any parameters...
I've been using AdClip7 quite a lot.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal ➡️
Best clipper is stilwell evenhorizon period
Yep, also enjoying this one a lot, can't seem to get any other clipper to sound quite like it.
Lives for gear

SLM2 V2 by TBProAudio has a nice clipper.
📝 Reply