Quantcast
Any love for the Dangerous Music Compressor? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any love for the Dangerous Music Compressor?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Any love for the Dangerous Music Compressor?

Looking for something to use with my Weiss EQ-1Mk II and happened upon the Dangerous Music Compressor but could not find any real info here. There are some reviews on line and on YouTube. (Some old info here Dangerous Compressor - New at AES) Thanks in advance for any info from anyone who has used one. Also what would be a good A to D-D to A converter to use with it???
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
Looking for something to use with my Weiss EQ-1Mk II and happened upon the Dangerous Music Compressor but could not find any real info here. There are some reviews on line and on YouTube. (Some old info here Dangerous Compressor - New at AES) Thanks in advance for any info from anyone who has used one. Also what would be a good A to D-D to A converter to use with it???
Odd that you've not gotten any replies here. I have not tried one but did consider purchasing one a few years ago, but the consensus that I saw here and on other forums was that the unit seemed great on paper (Dangerous' marketing on this unit really speaks to my biases) but user experiences seemed to convey that the unit was a little thin/narrow and had a 'meh' factor. For that reason I declined to buy.

Most of the comments on the unit seemed to be from people using it in a mixing master buss context rather than a ME context, so for some reason, the unit doesn't seem to have gained much traction with MEs. Maybe not expensive enough?

I see a lot of them pop up on Reverb for good prices, so the cost of acquisition isn't too bad if you want to dip your toe in the water. And if you don't like it you could probably flip it for a nominal loss (if any).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
It's a nice unit. I use it on some but not all projects. No complaints.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd go analog specifically to use it if I didn't already have worthy DA/AD to go analog and back and wasn't already going out of the box for other things.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Verified Member
I really like this unit. For certain programs like electronic music, modern pop or anything that has 808 style beats it is usually unbeatable. Having said that, for everything else that’s not that it’s usually not that great sounding and can indeed be a boring unit. But I have other compressors, so that’s not a problem for me.

It’s definitely not a hugely versatile compressor, maybe that’s why it doesn’t get a lot of mentions here?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I like it… but would swap it for an STC8 in a heartbeat. Love for the BAX all day long, though. As mentioned, it can be great for electronic music, but I prefer some digital compressors quite often.

I would say it’s versatile though, it’s never going to wreck the program material, and will control the dynamics as well as other similar workhorse compressors. The footprint is minimal - it’ll work with anything half-decent, AD/DA-wise, in the sense that it doesn’t get in the way.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm a big fan of the dangerous compressor.

I've only had it a few weeks but its spectacular.

If you want something with "more of a sound" maybe a vari mu or something more characterful might fit the bill. I find it nice and clean which is what I needed and sounds really polished. I'd typically get my grit or sound from something else in the chain but it seems to gel the sound well. Also been using as a 2nd comp on vocals after the tree audio lc 1

Running into modded / upgraded lucid 88192 converters
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
When it first appeared at AES, dangerous had told me that they had planned on releasing a professional version for mastering with switches, like the bax. For whatever reason I guess they couldn't figure it out and it never materialized.

And on top of it, strangely enough when you link it, the gain and threshold link but not the attack and release so you can set different times for the left and right (and it even says that in the manual). I'm not sure about anyone else, but can't remember a single situation where I had to set a compressor with different attack and release times for the left and right. I'd rather them be ganged if the knobs are pots and not easily matched.

I'm more of a stickler for accurate recall so I like stuff that's usually switched, and if not, at least professional grade stepped pots like Alps. It seems like a great unit and I'm sure at its core it is but it seems to be somewhat handicapped with it's interface in my opinion. With the Bax, dangerous showed that they had what it takes to make mastering grade equipment. I'm not sure what happened with the compressor - It feels like they just ran out of steam. And Dangerous' god awful advertising "Replace guess with yes for rapid fire results" and using lines like, "Radio ready results" kinda turned me off from the beginning.

Still, if I ever see one at a low enough price I might still give it a shot. I'd leave it in preset att/rel mode, permanently glue down the threshold and gain so they never move, and just control the amount of compression by the adjusting the output level of the gear preceding it. That's the only way it'd be recallable enough to make it into my setup. And it seems like it has pretty high headroom so it's not a bad way to use it by gluing the knobs down and just hitting it hotter if I want more compression.

It still might be worth giving it a shot one day. That dual slope smart dynamic thing looks pretty cool - I'd still like to see it in action.
📝 Reply