Quantcast
Roll Music System RMS 755 - Why Is It Hardly Known? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roll Music System RMS 755 - Why Is It Hardly Known?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Roll Music System RMS 755 - Why Is It Hardly Known?

Today i was able to try out a Roll Music System rms755.
I compared the compressor with my other vca's - foote 3ps, tk-audio bc2-me, dramastic obsidian, bettermaker c502v, wes-audio dione, elysia x-pressor.
The RMS755 makes a fantastic figure. Very lively, large, enormously good stereo image, nice glue, very musical control behavior and good adjustability, excellent technical values - it simply sounds much more expensive than it is.
I am amazed that this device is not better known!

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Been a favourite since 2010ish!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Looks to be out of production. No search results except just one used one on Reverb...
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx ➡️
Looks to be out of production. No search results except just one used one on Reverb...
yes, at least it is "out of stock"
Old 3 weeks ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Justin posts on here on Gearspace if you want to ask him questions or send him a PM...
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo ➡️
Justin posts on here on Gearspace if you want to ask him questions or send him a PM...
I sent him a link to this thread
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...and look, it only took me a week to check in!

We're a very small company. There are few smaller. And the Super Stereo does fly under the radar, but not entirely:

Here's a fairly high-profile artist talking about it in the press:
https://www.soundonsound.com/people/pendulum

And here's a review of the Super Stereo in that same press:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roll-music-rms755

There are others, but I'm not here to name drop. Just want you to know it's not completely unknown. But it is currently out of production.

The reason it's out of production is because the meter went obsolete. It was an expensive, finicky meter and I'm not sad to see it go, but we can't build any more Super Stereo compressors until I come up with an alternative. That will most likely be an LED meter integrated into the unit, which means a pretty significant redesign. While I'm at it I will update the user interface, perhaps add a modern feature or three. But I won't change the way it sounds. Promise.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses ➡️
...and look, it only took me a week to check in!

We're a very small company. There are few smaller. And the Super Stereo does fly under the radar, but not entirely:

Here's a fairly high-profile artist talking about it in the press:
https://www.soundonsound.com/people/pendulum

And here's a review of the Super Stereo in that same press:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roll-music-rms755

There are others, but I'm not here to name drop. Just want you to know it's not completely unknown. But it is currently out of production.

The reason it's out of production is because the meter went obsolete. It was an expensive, finicky meter and I'm not sad to see it go, but we can't build any more Super Stereo compressors until I come up with an alternative. That will most likely be an LED meter integrated into the unit, which means a pretty significant redesign. While I'm at it I will update the user interface, perhaps add a modern feature or three. But I won't change the way it sounds. Promise.
if i could wish for something for a new edition, it would be:
a smaller gainrange for treshold and gain, but in steps or dents - preferably 1/4dB
instead of a ratio of 10 one of 1.25
sonically I must say that the device simply blew me away - and that in the first 10 seconds and since then more and more - I know many vca, really many, I also have a whole pack - but the rms755 has a special position in terms of glue, bass & the stereo image - and a noble basic sound, which almost reminds a little of a tube device, but at the same time very transparent and neutral in the best sense.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Improving the resolution, accuracy, and replicability of gain and threshold settings is absolutely one of the improvements I intend to implement. I won't mention the other features I've got on the drawing board, in case they don't make the final cut.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
yes a handy tool!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Improving the resolution, accuracy, and replicability of gain and threshold settings is absolutely one of the improvements I intend to implement. I won't mention the other features I've got on the drawing board, in case they don't make the final cut.
Hi Justin

I don't suppose there's an ETA on when your new version is likely to be in the wild?

Cheers
Tobias
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum ➡️
I compared the compressor with my other vca's - foote 3ps, tk-audio bc2-me, dramastic obsidian, bettermaker c502v, wes-audio dione, elysia x-pressor
Would be interested to hear your thoughts specifically on this compared to the TK. I run a mu into a vca on mixbus (not mastering) and settled on the TK BC1-THD*

*After owning (or demoing) obsidian, nekotronics ssl clone, api 2500+ and smart C2.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50-pence ➡️
Would be interested to hear your thoughts specifically on this compared to the TK. I run a mu into a vca on mixbus (not mastering) and settled on the TK BC1-THD*

*After owning (or demoing) obsidian, nekotronics ssl clone, api 2500+ and smart C2.
i have the tk bc2-me, not the bc-1thd, i don't know how much the 2 differ.

the tk and the roll are somewhat similar in direction, they are both vca compressors that have a more rounded, smooth character compared to an ssl - sometimes almost a bit reminiscent of an opto compressor.

the tk is more versatile on paper, partly because of the blend control.

even though it doesn't color much, it has an "electronic" sound in some ways - you can hear that it's an ic-based device - even if they are good ic's.
the rms755 has much less of that ic sound - it actually hardly sounds like an ic, more like a discret device - or a tube device, but without having a "tube coloration" - the "light", the "lively", "not dry", that is more reminiscent of tube than ic.
roll advertises a short signal path and high quality components in the audio chain - it sounds that way.

in addition, there is a feel of a "bigger knee", the compressor seems to attract a bit of sub information, almost like a vari mu.
in addition, the basses are felt to be larger and the stereo image wider, but this is not confirmed by measurement - this impression also had my assistant immediately.

at adjusted level, the signal is felt larger, wider and somewhat louder, more present with a nice finishing glue - not harsh at all.
someone once wrote that the sound sounds a little like when you press against a pillow - it is not a compressor that sounds like others like concrete, wood or rubber, it sounds more like "well filled pillow" - without smearing.

Last edited by teebaum; 2 weeks ago at 11:38 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you for such a detailed reply. Really interesting. As I said I use a VCA in a chain, after a Phoenix. The TK was my favourite in that chain. I may have to look out for one of these in the future to compare!
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you for such a detailed reply. Really interesting. As I said I use a VCA in a chain, after a Phoenix. The TK was my favourite in that chain. I may have to look out for one of these in the future to compare!
i use the roll before the knif pure mu, the foote (parallel) after - and a airfield liminator before the roll - but for sure nearly never all 4 at the same mix.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum ➡️
i use the roll before the knif pure mu, the foote (parallel) after - and a airfield liminator before the roll - but for sure nearly never all 4 at the same mix.
Nice. I can see why in mastering you might have the vca first. Could never get that to work for me in mixing. So is the Foote pumping on extreme settings and subtly blended in for level?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nice. I can see why in mastering you might have the vca first. Could never get that to work for me in mixing. So is the Foote pumping on extreme settings and subtly blended in for level?
the roll makes glue and size - and sometimes replaces the vari mu, the foote is with long attack and short release, only about 0.5 - 1db gain reduction and then usually only 20-30% blended in - just gives a little snap and contour - and has something nice in the lowmids
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone ➡️
I don't suppose there's an ETA on when your new version is likely to be in the wild?
No, I don't suppose that either.

But I'll let you know when I find out when I'll be able to let you know.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
rms755-081 owner here, it would be nice having an external hpf selector switch to save opening up the unit, could a mod for that be made possible?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by graph ➡️
rms755-081 owner here, it would be nice having an external hpf selector switch to save opening up the unit, could a mod for that be made possible?
That is not the worst idea I've heard today. Not a mod for your existing unit, but a revision for future production. I'll put it on my list!
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
That is not the worst idea I've heard today. Not a mod for your existing unit, but a revision for future production. I'll put it on my list!
i'm actually quite happy with the frequency chosen for the high pass, but making it adjustable might be beneficial for some styles.
I would find it more interesting if the knee could be adjusted in 2-3 steps.

but sometimes it also makes sense to leave a really good device as it is and not to overload it with additional setting options.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can’t wait to see the new version when it is finished! I’ve been using mine in my mastering chain much more often lately (usually into a Cranesong Ibis into a pair of requisite pal+ for output gain only). I’ve been using it on the drum bus (and sometimes tracking kick drum for aggressive music) for years, making it easier to recall would be awesome! It manages to be punchy and smooth, with a deep sounding musical bottom end and a sweet silky top end, all at the same time. I’m glad to hear the sound won’t change, only features and ergonomics.

I’d bet anything Justin designs sounds good, his tubule preamps sound fantastic, they compete with my requisite pal+ pair which is really saying something for a 500 series unit. I’ve got a pair and could use about 8 more lol. Keep up the good work Justin!
📝 Reply