Quantcast
In my email this morning - another on line mastering site - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
In my email this morning - another on line mastering site
Old 20 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx ➡️
That's all fine. Really the point I started out trying to make is that commercial success re promoting budgets has little bearing on why most clients want quality mastering. They would want it even if the music was just for friends and family.
I never see this. It seems that my potential clients are always looking for the cheapest rates and the fastest turnaround. Never understood why someone spends months or years on recording and mixing a project and wants to spend $0.00 to get it mastered which could make the difference between a good song and a GREAT song. I guess I will never understand why a majority of my clients are looking for nothing more than "cheap rates". It is very upsetting...

I guess I am doing something really wrong when it comes to attracting "good" clients who want the best for their music. I see people I really respect here on this forum saying that business is GREAT and they have more work than they know what to do with. I know that is not the case here and hasn't really been that way since 2008 and economic downturn that affected so many in this geographic area. We use to be super busy with video and audio remote recordings, masterings and restoration/transfer work. Once the 2008 recession hit and all the large manufacturing plants closed down around here people who wanted mastering seemed to disappear almost overnight. These were local artist who did music on the weekends and at night and we had a steady stream of people wanting their CDs mastered. We were also doing a lot of on location recordings but the groups were financially impacted by the recession and had to find alternative ways of getting their concerts recorded that did not include us. Not sure what is going on but...it is not good!

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 19 hours ago at 12:39 PM..
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Good - Cheap - Fast…. pick any two!

(to the exclusion of the other)

aka Cheap & Fast… but Not Good.

cheers, jt
Old 20 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb ➡️
Good - Cheap - Fast…. pick any two!

(to the exclusion of the other)

aka Cheap & Fast… but Not Good.

cheers, jt
I have this sign on my wall in my mastering studio. I also have a plaque that says "Pick Two"
Attached Thumbnails
In my email this morning - another on line mastering site-fase-cheap-good.gif  
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
I love it! Almost reminds me of the rules my friends and I follow when considering gigs: good hang, good music, good money; gotta have at least two of the three. But very rarely do all three happen.
Old 12 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The more I think about this development, the less I think the chances of most of these services surviving the next 5 years are.

Basically I think it will boil down to automatic 'mastering' (processing) being built into the big distribution platforms.
Probably as part of a bigger enterprise-level B2B contract.

Think something along the lines like Apple making a deal with Dolby to support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on their platform, and as part of the package also licensing Dolby.io for batch-processing audio content. As soundcloud already did.

Another part will maybe be that the big media software companies (Adobe, Blackmagic, Avid) develop or buy solutions and build them into their products as export functions.

Most of these services don't have a bright future as stand-alone services. Too many manual round-trips for real conveniance.
Probably a lot of them hope being the one being bought up by the bigger players.
Old 12 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hyperparameterization around a moving target never ends well, especially when it comes to codebases.
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
I have this sign on my wall in my mastering studio. I also have a plaque that says "Pick Two"
Mobius Triangle!

Best, JT
Attached Thumbnails
In my email this morning - another on line mastering site-2ab71b54-7597-43da-8810-6a2c8429a446.jpeg  

Last edited by Jerry Tubb; 9 hours ago at 11:21 PM..
📝 Reply