"The Oven" by Hendyamps and Maor Appelbaum
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
"The Oven" by Hendyamps and Maor Appelbaum

https://hendyamps.com/the-oven

As a new member of a presently very small club of owners, I think a thread about this box might be merited.

'What's it do?" - The description on the website is very good, and here are some of my impressions:

The solid state saturation "Temp" can enhance perceived transients/punch and it interacts with the "Burners" for shaping that effect. So you're simultaneously EQing and transient-shaping. A little goes a long way. For mastering I haven't had Temp past 2, usually closer to 1, with gentle use of the Burners to direct it where I want it. The effect survives limiting well and breathes life into tracks. It's a tight, lively sound.

The tube saturation "Cook" is a warmth knob that can elegantly counterbalance the tightness of the Temp. It can be set to "Bake" which is more of a gooey glowy vibe, or "Broil" which is tighter/punchier warmth. I've been mostly using Bake so far because I love how it enhances the low end, midrange glow and dimension. A sweet, controllable tube flavor. It also interacts with the Burners. I haven't had Cook beyond 2 on a master.

I haven't tried it on individual tracks or subgroups yet, but I expect that's where higher settings would be useful.

"Sizzle" is kind of like "Air" on the Michelangelo but with a different flavor. Hard to describe, but very nice and open.

The "Flow" control is a trim but it also interacts with the whole circuit, so it's also a "less effect" knob. That's really useful in practice - to be able to dial it back a little, almost like I would use a parallel mix control but it's not that. Usually set in the 9 to 10 range so far.

Basically, everything interacts with everything else on this box. It doesn't have frequency or decibel markings, making it a "use your ears" kind of processor. It's a unique piece that does new things for me, adding nice options I didn't have before.

I wanted to post files but honestly I don't think that would be useful. This thing requires interaction to get what it's all about. It reveals itself differently on each project. I bought it on Maor's recommendation and thankfully it worked out!
Attached Thumbnails
"The Oven" by Hendyamps and Maor Appelbaum-oven.jpg   "The Oven" by Hendyamps and Maor Appelbaum-ovenl.jpg   "The Oven" by Hendyamps and Maor Appelbaum-ovenr.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
how is the noise floor and headroom compared to the michelangelo? i always wanted to use the michel more in mastering but just couldn't get it to work in my chain either cus the noise floor was too high for the beginning of the chain or the headroom wasn't enough for the end-- got too colored/mushy.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogoftears ➡️
how is the noise floor and headroom compared to the michelangelo? i always wanted to use the michel more in mastering but just couldn't get it to work in my chain either cus the noise floor was too high for the beginning of the chain or the headroom wasn't enough for the end-- got too colored/mushy.
There's no published specs on it but the noise floor seems to be in the mid -80s and a couple dB lower than my MA. Neither of their noise floors have been an issue for me.

I haven't noticed any headroom issues. I had it late in the chain at first and it was fine. Now it's first in chain. The L/R calibration knobs give you some flexibility with gain staging if you want.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I’ve had it in my room a couple times.

Two main strengths is the low end and sizzle. Has an amazing ability to tighten kicks and get them to cut through a mix- while also getting poked out sub notes or bass guitar notes to sit supremely nice and even. Makes typical problem solving techniques like low band compression or dynamic eq essentially a non issue.

Also- The high end- making nasty ITB mixed hi hats and cymbals sound Alive and analog, especially after limiting, is also a natural strength of the box.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisminzer ➡️
I’ve had it in my room a couple times.

Two main strengths is the low end and sizzle. Has an amazing ability to tighten kicks and get them to cut through a mix- while also getting poked out sub notes or bass guitar notes to sit supremely nice and even. Makes typical problem solving techniques like low band compression or dynamic eq essentially a non issue.

Also- The high end- making nasty ITB mixed hi hats and cymbals sound Alive and analog, especially after limiting, is also a natural strength of the box.
Yeah I agree - I mainly use it to treat the lows and highs, though after doing that the mids tend to sit better too.

A little Temp with the Low Burner slightly boosted, combined with a little Bake/Gas can really make the low end come alive in a punchy, even and dimensional way.

Sizzle does indeed have a smooth and very open sound. It makes the Michelangelo's Air sound hard in comparison, and that's sayin' somethin'. I use it often. But the Top Burner is also great for opening up a mix while making the snare crack cut through the limiting.

A couple times I've found myself boosting lows or highs with The Oven on tracks that didn't need the boost, just for what it does to the sound, then cutting with the BAX to bring it back down while retaining the new flavor.

Clients are digging the results so far...
📝 Reply