The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fabfilter Pro Q3
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Fabfilter Pro Q3

Just installed Fabfilter Pro Q3, and like it: I tried it on one of the tracks for tomorrow's attended EP to get a feel for the songs, and the plug-in was pretty much an instant hit - it's 'as simple as it needs to be but no simpler', sounds great and helps turn a mental image of where I want to go into reality without fuss.

Much as I love Equilibrium's results - which I'll continue to enjoy, notably when notching - I've struggled with the interface for reasons I can't easily explain. As an everyday digital EQ, Q3 will sit alongside TDR Slick EQ M in the toolbox (they feel usefully different to me) and complement my analogue choices.

Incidentally, I was keen on the Magpha EQ for a while with its smooth analogue-like top end in particular, but operational oddities combined with the developer no longer supporting it have meant I've moved on, except for revisiting older projects that use it.

Last edited by lowland; 1 week ago at 07:33 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland ➡️
helps turn a mental image of where I want to go into reality without fuss.
Hey Nigel, this is a great description and the thing that has kept Pro-Q as my main digital EQ for a number of years. It doesn't get in the way and allows me to translate the mental image super fast.

I'm still on Pro-Q2 as I prefer the workflow. The only other digital EQ I use is Magpha. Generally Pro-Q on the pre DAC side for any cleanup and Magpha for any post ADC touch-ups, or as a nice combo when working ITB.

Like you, I found Equilibrium's UI a bit cumbersome and it's no longer installed on my machine.

Last edited by SmoothTone; 1 week ago at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Added link
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Equilibrium works best, in my opinion, when you have made presets for it that have all the needed EQ nodes and everything else already setup and ready to go.

This is especially easy to do in Reaper where I use Reaper's own preset system. My current default for mastering with Equilibrium is 5 parallel nodes of the 250 EQ model, each set at various useful ranges with ready to go Q values tailored for each range.. so basically all I do is load Equilibrium and move the nodes. Done.

I've also setup a few extra presets that are tailored for cutting resonances both in the bass and high-mid range, ready to go.

All of these presets have their own settings for the analyzer as well. The resonance cutting presets will have detailed and non-filtered analysis setup whereas my "broad strokes 250" setup has a highly filtered and very averaged and slow analyzer going in the background.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Changed everything for MAAT Eq Red. The Blue for mixing & the Red for mastering.
The Weiss Eq (Softube) is great too.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Interesting. Equilibrium I just add a band, right click and choose whatever I’m hearing. I always thought pro q sounded inferior, but maybe I’m wrong?
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
I always thought pro q sounded inferior, but maybe I’m wrong?
IMO you're not wrong.

Not that Pro-Q is bad, but if you're willing to put in a little time experimenting and saving custom presets, Equilibrium often sounds even better to me.

Pro-Q wins for quick easy GUI, Low latency and CPU usage. Equilibrium wins for sound quality.

YMMV, FWIW, etc., yada yada.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Interesting to see these responses, Equilibrium's always seemed dead-simple to me.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
My Equilibrium "user default" preset opens it up with 8 disabled bands tailored for certain purposes, then I just enable the band(s) I need and go to work. Pretty easy.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs ➡️
Interesting to see these responses, Equilibrium's always seemed dead-simple to me.
In my case, I was well accustomed to Pro-Q by the time EQuilibrium was released. So it was harder to step away from that super fast workflow. I tried to get used to EQuilibrium but at the end of the day I just needed to get work done. Pro-Q makes me happy.

There are times when I do a quick EQ with Pro-Q, intending to replace a band or 2 with the SPL PQ but end up preferring the sound of the FabFilter.

At this point Pro-Q is the proverbial old friend.
📝 Reply