Quantcast
Knif SOMA and what Mastering EQ Complimentary Each Other? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Knif SOMA and what Mastering EQ Complimentary Each Other?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsonic ➡️
Thanks for the reply Ben. I think I read on here a while back that you prefer the MLA-3 to MLA-4?
interesting...I also think it would be interesting to know if you think that the MLA-3 sound better than the MLA-4.

Thank
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsonic ➡️
Thanks for the reply Ben. I think I read on here a while back that you prefer the MLA-3 to MLA-4? I'll keep an eye out if one happens to pop up domestically (I'm in Melbourne). Hope the lockdown is treating you ok up there. Cheers.
The early MLA-3 with the non Elma knobs sound a bit more constrained than the later Elma knob version to my ears. Same with the MPL-2. I use an MLA-4 and love it. Leif says there is no difference but I think there is.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F ➡️
The early MLA-3 with the non Elma knobs sound a bit more constrained than the later Elma knob version to my ears. Same with the MPL-2. I use an MLA-4 and love it. Leif says there is no difference but I think there is.
Thanks for the reply Ben
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm also using the MLA-3 with the silver knobs and it's a very good compressor, thinking of it it's probably the unit which has lasting the longest time in my chain, I've never compared it with the newer revisions and can replace it with plugins pretty often but I still like it a lot

I thought I'd use it less when I've got my Elysia Alpha but that never happened, maybe it's because of some design problems in my Alpha which are making the unit less usable for me (I can see you also have one)
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan ➡️
I'm also using the MLA-3 with the silver knobs and it's a very good compressor, thinking of it it's probably the unit which has lasting the longest time in my chain, I've never compared it with the newer revisions and can replace it with plugins pretty often but I still like it a lot

I thought I'd use it less when I've got my Elysia Alpha but that never happened, maybe it's because of some design problems in my Alpha which are making the unit less usable for me (I can see you also have one)
Design problems in the Alpha ? You mean the unit is "faulty" or the way it is designed makes it less usable ?
Looking at it I always wished the clipper section would be placed before the compressor section, it would make more sense to me.
Otherwise this unit is impressive to say the least
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Pand Sound Mastering ➡️
Design problems in the Alpha ? You mean the unit is "faulty" or the way it is designed makes it less usable ?
Looking at it I always wished the clipper section would be placed before the compressor section, it would make more sense to me.
Otherwise this unit is impressive to say the least
The Alpha is a fantastic piece of gear but it has some problems maybe a certain batch is faulty but it has passed their QC anyway and my unit hasn’t been replaced.

for example, whenever I engage the active button the phase is being flipped, I’ve been told it’s due to a wiring problem within the transformers that hasn’t been checked so whenever I pass audio through the unit the phase is flipped.

Problem number two is a very nasty distortion when I pass 20Hz sinus waves through the unit, it distorts much more than my Pultecs, Vacuvox and TC Phoenix combined which is not what one would expect from a clean mastering VCA compressor, it happens also when the unit is on bypass mode

Problem number three is, although the manual says the operating level is up to +28dBu it is in fact up to +22dBu and than it stops like there’s a brick wall limiter on the output

So unfortunately there are too many things to be considered when using my Alpha like using a HPF before the signal hits the unit, flip the phase of the signal pre or post process, use bass boost only post compression and not exceed +22dBu to avoid limiting

All doable of course but I usually prefer using a HPF post analog process and want to have more freedom when it comes to gain staging and process order, it’s also confusing when comparing between bypass and active modes when the phase is being flipped

Still usable though, but not as usable as I thought it would be
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Whaaat

Omg I feel sorry for you, at that price this is unbelievable (and honestly unacceptable). Couldn't you send the unit back so it would be fixed ?? I mean, the 20hz problem, the headroom etc means there must be a fault somewhere in the circuit. I remember François at Sonics Mastering said somewhere this unit has crazy headroom, so you must have faulty components or something. Any other users experiencing problems like this ??

Quote:
The Alpha is a fantastic piece of gear but it has some problems maybe a certain batch is faulty but it has passed their QC anyway and my unit hasn’t been replaced.

for example, whenever I engage the active button the phase is being flipped, I’ve been told it’s due to a wiring problem within the transformers that hasn’t been checked so whenever I pass audio through the unit the phase is flipped.

Problem number two is a very nasty distortion when I pass 20Hz sinus waves through the unit, it distorts much more than my Pultecs, Vacuvox and TC Phoenix combined which is not what one would expect from a clean mastering VCA compressor, it happens also when the unit is on bypass mode

Problem number three is, although the manual says the operating level is up to +28dBu it is in fact up to +22dBu and than it stops like there’s a brick wall limiter on the output

So unfortunately there are too many things to be considered when using my Alpha like using a HPF before the signal hits the unit, flip the phase of the signal pre or post process and not exceed +22dBu to avoid limiting, all doable of course but I usually prefer using a HPF post analog process and want to have more freedom when it comes to gain staging.. it’s also confusing when comparing between bypass and active when the phase is being flipped
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Pand Sound Mastering ➡️
Whaaat

Omg I feel sorry for you, at that price this is unbelievable (and honestly unacceptable). Couldn't you send the unit back so it would be fixed ?? I mean, the 20hz problem, the headroom etc means there must be a fault somewhere in the circuit. I remember François at Sonics Mastering said somewhere this unit has crazy headroom, so you must have faulty components or something. Any other users experiencing problems like this ??
Thanks man, yes given the Alpha price this is very surprising
I think François has a unit from the same batch because we got our units the same week or so, I can't remember how François has his converters set up, if you do up to +20dBu there's no problem at all

I wanted to change the level of my converters to +24dBu after getting a pair of Vari Mu compressors which François is also using in order to reduce some noise floor and at that point I've discovered the headroom problem with the Alpha

Another thing with the Alpha is although the manual states it has true bypass it's not the case with the unit since the signal is running through the output transformers in bypass mode as well, not an issue for those of us who are using a mastering console but I find it strange to write disinformation in a unit's manual

I can send the unit to be fixed but it would be a long and expensive procedure, I was told by Elysia they will send me a replacement unit but that never happened.
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks man, yes given the Alpha price this is very surprising
I think François has a unit from the same batch because we got our units the same week or so, I can't remember how François has his converters set up, if you do up to +20dBu there's no problem at all

I wanted to change the level of my converters to +24dBu after getting a pair of Vari Mu compressors which François is also using in order to reduce some noise floor and at that point I've discovered the headroom problem with the Alpha

Another thing with the Alpha is although the manual states it has true bypass it's not the case with the unit since the signal is running through the output transformers in bypass mode as well, not an issue for those of us who are using a mastering console but I find it strange to write disinformation in a unit's manual

I can send the unit to be fixed but it would be a long and expensive procedure, I was told by Elysia they will send me a replacement unit but that never happened.
Hopefully you'll get your unit fixed or replaced soon.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for the reply.
📝 Reply