Quantcast
Bettermaker Mastering Limiter issue - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bettermaker Mastering Limiter issue
Old 9th May 2021
  #31
Lives for gear
Is the unit calibrated with your converters?
Old 9th May 2021 | Show parent
  #32
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 ➡️
How hot is the signal your feeding it? You know these things don’t have a lot of headroom, right?

But if others have had the same issue it might be a batch effect.
calibrated it a couple times so it's very close and the input hitting the BM is never over -6ish
Old 9th May 2021 | Show parent
  #33
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan ➡️
Is the unit calibrated with your converters?
yes
Old 10th May 2021
  #34
Gear Head
 
jtvrdy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
maybe the problem is on the output and you are cliping your AD converter?
Old 10th May 2021
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Maybe take a short 1 minute iphone video toggling between normal and MS mode and post it here.
Old 18th May 2021 | Show parent
  #36
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 ➡️
Maybe take a short 1 minute iphone video toggling between normal and MS mode and post it here.
Yeah I just find this thing finicky man... I have to listen so close to my masters now to make sure there's no peaks that clip. Never had an issue before with just the Neve MBP and the Elysia Xfilter. Def can't get the level I want out of the BM either without it distorting.
Just not sure what to do at this point...
Old 18th May 2021 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by braun3000 ➡️
Yeah I just find this thing finicky man... I have to listen so close to my masters now to make sure there's no peaks that clip. Never had an issue before with just the Neve MBP and the Elysia Xfilter. Def can't get the level I want out of the BM either without it distorting.
Just not sure what to do at this point...
Weird. Mine doesn’t exhibit this sort of behavior. I generally have >80% clipper and release near the 50ms range. Stays pretty nice and clean even with heavy 808 music including in MS mode. Perhaps Marek from BM can stop by here and comment. Or you can try to send him a direct message. Hope you get it worked out. It’s been great here in my studio.
Old 18th May 2021 | Show parent
  #38
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 ➡️
Weird. Mine doesn’t exhibit this sort of behavior. I generally have >80% clipper and release near the 50ms range. Stays pretty nice and clean even with heavy 808 music including in MS mode. Perhaps Marek from BM can stop by here and comment. Or you can try to send him a direct message. Hope you get it worked out. It’s been great here in my studio.
Yeah, i've been in touch with Merek.
Not much help to be honest.. I already did a test of the previous unit that they are now saying wasn't done right even though I did it exactly as they asked me to.

So where does your input sit when it's hitting your BM limiter and how much gain are you applying to it with the BM?
Old 18th May 2021 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by braun3000 ➡️
Yeah, i've been in touch with Merek.
Not much help to be honest.. I already did a test of the previous unit that they are now saying wasn't done right even though I did it exactly as they asked me to.

So where does your input sit when it's hitting your BM limiter and how much gain are you applying to it with the BM?
I’ll play around with something feeding different levels in stereo and mid side mode maybe tonight and get back to you.
Old 19th May 2021 | Show parent
  #40
Bettermaker
 
Marogru's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hello everyone.

We are trying to solve the issue for braun3000 since some time. Unfortunately, after trying 2 different working units there are still some issues with the workflow.
braun3000, we politely asked you to run some very basic tests with your signal chain so we could be sure that the reason lies on two of our Limiters you have tested one by one. Unfortunately you have refused to run the tests to help us help you.

Addressing the metering with Clipitter on: When the limiter is in between the sates of clipping ang limiting at the same time it's impossible to show a proper reading of these two meters at once. Take notice that the scale of the clipper is also an approximate scale as it's not a reduction scale but an amount you clip the signal which is very signal dependent. Adding to that, yes, clipping is a kind of distortion that is pleasing in some cases and in some cases not. Some mixes might be not able to reach the desired loudness because of the mix structure, but as we have over 1500 users of the Mastering Limiter so far in mastering and mixing studios all over the world, I might e thinking that this kind of distortion might be pleasing for them. I'm sure it's not for everyone, and some folks might find it too aggressive, or not in their taste.

Anyway, I hope we will solve the issue fast and will have another happy user 🙂
Old 19th May 2021 | Show parent
  #41
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marogru ➡️
Hello everyone.

We are trying to solve the issue for braun3000 since some time. Unfortunately, after trying 2 different working units there are still some issues with the workflow.
braun3000, we politely asked you to run some very basic tests with your signal chain so we could be sure that the reason lies on two of our Limiters you have tested one by one. Unfortunately you have refused to run the tests to help us help you.

Addressing the metering with Clipitter on: When the limiter is in between the sates of clipping ang limiting at the same time it's impossible to show a proper reading of these two meters at once. Take notice that the scale of the clipper is also an approximate scale as it's not a reduction scale but an amount you clip the signal which is very signal dependent. Adding to that, yes, clipping is a kind of distortion that is pleasing in some cases and in some cases not. Some mixes might be not able to reach the desired loudness because of the mix structure, but as we have over 1500 users of the Mastering Limiter so far in mastering and mixing studios all over the world, I might e thinking that this kind of distortion might be pleasing for them. I'm sure it's not for everyone, and some folks might find it too aggressive, or not in their taste.

Anyway, I hope we will solve the issue fast and will have another happy user 🙂
2 different working units?..
I'm sorry I wasn't aware you came to that conclusion?
That's news to me!

This is not an issue with taste, no one would want the distortion that I'm getting...

I really don't feel like I've been treated properly here.
Old 19th May 2021 | Show parent
  #42
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marogru ➡️
Hello everyone.

We are trying to solve the issue for braun3000 since some time. Unfortunately, after trying 2 different working units there are still some issues with the workflow.
braun3000, we politely asked you to run some very basic tests with your signal chain so we could be sure that the reason lies on two of our Limiters you have tested one by one. Unfortunately you have refused to run the tests to help us help you.

Addressing the metering with Clipitter on: When the limiter is in between the sates of clipping ang limiting at the same time it's impossible to show a proper reading of these two meters at once. Take notice that the scale of the clipper is also an approximate scale as it's not a reduction scale but an amount you clip the signal which is very signal dependent. Adding to that, yes, clipping is a kind of distortion that is pleasing in some cases and in some cases not. Some mixes might be not able to reach the desired loudness because of the mix structure, but as we have over 1500 users of the Mastering Limiter so far in mastering and mixing studios all over the world, I might e thinking that this kind of distortion might be pleasing for them. I'm sure it's not for everyone, and some folks might find it too aggressive, or not in their taste.

Anyway, I hope we will solve the issue fast and will have another happy user 🙂
Wait! you just said I refused the tests??

That is an actual lie...
I said I was busy last week. I just emailed you tests this morning before you posted this response...

wow.
Old 20th May 2021 | Show parent
  #43
Bettermaker
 
Marogru's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by braun3000 ➡️
2 different working units?..
I'm sorry I wasn't aware you came to that conclusion?
That's news to me!

This is not an issue with taste, no one would want the distortion that I'm getting...

I really don't feel like I've been treated properly here.
Yes, you unit has been replaced for a new one by the dealer and you have confirmed it in the emails.
Old 20th May 2021 | Show parent
  #44
Bettermaker
 
Marogru's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by braun3000 ➡️
Wait! you just said I refused the tests??

That is an actual lie...
I said I was busy last week. I just emailed you tests this morning before you posted this response...

wow.
Sorry to say it, but as I look at that timeline, we did not get a response form you while you continued to troubleshoot here. Correct me if I'm wrong but the last contact from your side was on 11th of May. I know you must be very busy and we are really trying to help you, but without us knowing some basic data, we are not able to do so. I talked with Mat and I know that you are solving this right now. I'm very happy that we are moving forward and am sorry again for all the inconvenience.
Old 20th May 2021 | Show parent
  #45
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marogru ➡️
Yes, you unit has been replaced for a new one by the dealer and you have confirmed it in the emails.
you understand the difference between "new" and "working" right?
Old 20th May 2021 | Show parent
  #46
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marogru ➡️
Sorry to say it, but as I look at that timeline, we did not get a response form you while you continued to troubleshoot here. Correct me if I'm wrong but the last contact from your side was on 11th of May. I know you must be very busy and we are really trying to help you, but without us knowing some basic data, we are not able to do so. I talked with Mat and I know that you are solving this right now. I'm very happy that we are moving forward and am sorry again for all the inconvenience.
This whole reply chain by you guys is just odd.
Again, I never refused anything, I have the email chain.
You didn't mention in your response how I sent a test back weeks ago but was given the wrong info on how to do it correctly by your people..

Anyway, I sent the test (for the second time) yesterday.

Coming on here and publicly posting incorrect info does not rectify anything. I'm posting facts.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #47
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
How are you getting on with this?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #48
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump ➡️
How are you getting on with this?
I returned it.

I've been DM'ing with someone else on here with the same issues as me yet BM is telling me "no one else has ever reported this".. Strange.

Anyway, their post above was just weird to me. They haven't handled the situation well and the unit is just not dependable for me in my studio.

I removed the BM from my chain and everything went back to normal. Sounds great.
Not sure why it didn't work for me, seems many do love it. But sadly for me, it didn't work.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by braun3000 ➡️
Not sure why it didn't work for me, seems many do love it. But sadly for me, it didn't work.
Why not post a song file to let the community test it to see our results?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #50
Here for the gear
 
Deptronic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by braun3000 ➡️
That's very interesting actually...
What did he say?

My second unit seems better but the M/S is still quite finicky with low-end material..

It really should handle what I'm doing.
Tried to sell me their new mastering buss comp
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #51
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptronic ➡️
Tried to sell me their new mastering buss comp
Probably because you "called him out" about it during an interview, at NAMM. Seems a bit silly and lowbrow tbh.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #52
Gear Head
Have to laugh at the way some people go about troubleshooting hardware on public forums while simultaneously (or possibily before) contacting the manufactuer, or even during interviews at trade shows.

With any listenable / viewable details, the topic just a bit boring.

Share some examples of issues you're experiencing and the settings and methodology if you're willing to come on a forum and just start questioning it's viability as a limiter, slagging off the company, all the while it's basically the only topic you've ever engaged in on this forum.

Certainly the operation of the BM limiter is far more complicated than posting a short cellphone video to imgur (for example).

I'm curious as you mentioned earlier you are clipping 50% - 80%. Do you mean a percentage of the clipping meter? Seems like a lot.

I've had the Darthlimiter since it's release and it's been stellar, I would never go without it and hit it hard without any issue. M/S mode does not do anything detrimental to the signal, I use a touch of it almost every time.

There are thousands of people using this limiter. It can handle normal bus processing conditions.

Just to add in regards to the communication with Bettermaker...
last year I had some concerns about noise coming from my EQ232P, a discontinued product. I sent sound examples and freq. analysis, they were prompt via email with detailed responses.

They offered to check it out, so I sent it to Poland for a check up.

Even though I bought it used, and that was already 4-5 years old, they checked it out no questions asked, tested it, sent me the unit back along with test results. All of that free of charge.

So I bought the mastering compressor.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #53
Here for the gear
 
Deptronic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ttila ➡️
Probably because you "called him out" about it during an interview, at NAMM. Seems a bit silly and lowbrow tbh.
I didn’t mean to, I was sharing feedback about a product I had used and he happened to be in the crowd. I value honesty and customer-centricity in my business so the information I was providing was based on my own experience.

It could be considered low brow to someone who takes things personally, rather than seeing that feedback as data and an opportunity to improve.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #54
Here for the gear
 
Deptronic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ttila ➡️
Have to laugh at the way some people go about troubleshooting hardware on public forums while simultaneously (or possibily before) contacting the manufactuer, or even during interviews at trade shows.

With any listenable / viewable details, the topic just a bit boring.

Share some examples of issues you're experiencing and the settings and methodology if you're willing to come on a forum and just start questioning it's viability as a limiter, slagging off the company, all the while it's basically the only topic you've ever engaged in on this forum.

Certainly the operation of the BM limiter is far more complicated than posting a short cellphone video to imgur (for example).

I'm curious as you mentioned earlier you are clipping 50% - 80%. Do you mean a percentage of the clipping meter? Seems like a lot.

I've had the Darthlimiter since it's release and it's been stellar, I would never go without it and hit it hard without any issue. M/S mode does not do anything detrimental to the signal, I use a touch of it almost every time.

There are thousands of people using this limiter. It can handle normal bus processing conditions.

Just to add in regards to the communication with Bettermaker...
last year I had some concerns about noise coming from my EQ232P, a discontinued product. I sent sound examples and freq. analysis, they were prompt via email with detailed responses.

They offered to check it out, so I sent it to Poland for a check up.

Even though I bought it used, and that was already 4-5 years old, they checked it out no questions asked, tested it, sent me the unit back along with test results. All of that free of charge.

So I bought the mastering compressor.
Never said it was a bad piece of gear! I love it so much I have two!

I keep a backup because it’s unreliable and I cannot afford downtime. The product is great. The customer service and reliability of the product is not.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #55
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptronic ➡️
I didn’t mean to, I was sharing feedback about a product I had used and he happened to be in the crowd. I value honesty and customer-centricity in my business so the information I was providing was based on my own experience.

It could be considered low brow to someone who takes things personally, rather than seeing that feedback as data and an opportunity to improve.
ah sorry, thought you were interviewing him about his stuff at NAMM. My bad!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #56
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptronic ➡️
Never said it was a bad piece of gear! I love it so much I have two!

I keep a backup because it’s unreliable and I cannot afford downtime. The product is great. The customer service and reliability of the product is not.
Yeah fair play.

For the record I didn't mean that you were calling it bad gear, i was referring to Braun's comments.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #57
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ttila ➡️
Yeah fair play.

For the record I didn't mean that you were calling it bad gear, i was referring to Braun's comments.
glad you love your darthlimiter and had a good experience with them, I did not. Your post is almost blaming me for that which is sort of weird..

Anyway, I did not post here before contacting them, not even close.
I've explained myself plenty, they handled the situation really poorly. Vintage King agreed with me.

I've moved on
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #58
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptronic ➡️
Never said it was a bad piece of gear! I love it so much I have two!

I keep a backup because it’s unreliable and I cannot afford downtime. The product is great. The customer service and reliability of the product is not.
no.... I meant the percentage of clipping to limiting. I'd never have 80% reduction on the meter..

Listen, it's obvious lots of people love it, I never argued that.
Undertstand that I am not a BM hater.
I saved up for the unit and wanted it for a year or so.
My posts were solely based on my experience with them during this, and then seeing the odd post they made here saying I ignored them, which was not true at all.

The unit is gone, my setup works great again.
I'm fine, I can use something else.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #59
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ttila ➡️
Have to laugh at the way some people go about troubleshooting hardware on public forums while simultaneously (or possibily before) contacting the manufactuer, or even during interviews at trade shows.

With any listenable / viewable details, the topic just a bit boring.

Share some examples of issues you're experiencing and the settings and methodology if you're willing to come on a forum and just start questioning it's viability as a limiter, slagging off the company, all the while it's basically the only topic you've ever engaged in on this forum.

Certainly the operation of the BM limiter is far more complicated than posting a short cellphone video to imgur (for example).

I'm curious as you mentioned earlier you are clipping 50% - 80%. Do you mean a percentage of the clipping meter? Seems like a lot.

I've had the Darthlimiter since it's release and it's been stellar, I would never go without it and hit it hard without any issue. M/S mode does not do anything detrimental to the signal, I use a touch of it almost every time.

There are thousands of people using this limiter. It can handle normal bus processing conditions.

Just to add in regards to the communication with Bettermaker...
last year I had some concerns about noise coming from my EQ232P, a discontinued product. I sent sound examples and freq. analysis, they were prompt via email with detailed responses.

They offered to check it out, so I sent it to Poland for a check up.

Even though I bought it used, and that was already 4-5 years old, they checked it out no questions asked, tested it, sent me the unit back along with test results. All of that free of charge.

So I bought the mastering compressor.
Are you shaming me for not posting on Gear Space every week? I actually make music too. Maybe it means I've never needed to post here before..

I really don't understand your point here.
You had a nice experience so everyone else should?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #60
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ttila ➡️
Have to laugh at the way some people go about troubleshooting hardware on public forums while simultaneously (or possibily before) contacting the manufactuer, or even during interviews at trade shows.

With any listenable / viewable details, the topic just a bit boring.

Share some examples of issues you're experiencing and the settings and methodology if you're willing to come on a forum and just start questioning it's viability as a limiter, slagging off the company, all the while it's basically the only topic you've ever engaged in on this forum.

Certainly the operation of the BM limiter is far more complicated than posting a short cellphone video to imgur (for example).

I'm curious as you mentioned earlier you are clipping 50% - 80%. Do you mean a percentage of the clipping meter? Seems like a lot.

I've had the Darthlimiter since it's release and it's been stellar, I would never go without it and hit it hard without any issue. M/S mode does not do anything detrimental to the signal, I use a touch of it almost every time.

There are thousands of people using this limiter. It can handle normal bus processing conditions.

Just to add in regards to the communication with Bettermaker...
last year I had some concerns about noise coming from my EQ232P, a discontinued product. I sent sound examples and freq. analysis, they were prompt via email with detailed responses.

They offered to check it out, so I sent it to Poland for a check up.

Even though I bought it used, and that was already 4-5 years old, they checked it out no questions asked, tested it, sent me the unit back along with test results. All of that free of charge.

So I bought the mastering compressor.
My initial question here was honest with no foul intent.
As things progressed, I voiced my frustrations here.

You blaming me (without speaking to me at all) and sticking up for the company is exactly what's wrong with this community. I'll go ahead and not post here again to save you any more key strokes.

Have a great one!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 28833 views: 3058289
Avatar for 79adam79
79adam79 5 hours ago
replies: 102 views: 12910
Avatar for ARIEL
ARIEL 5th April 2021
replies: 25 views: 6189
Avatar for HansMues
HansMues 2nd March 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump