The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereo width smaller with outboard
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Stereo width smaller with outboard

I have this strange problem, that the stereo width of a track gets smaller, when I use outboard equipment. I really tried everything:

RME Fireface 802 outs into converter (Lavry Gold AD122-96 MX

Fireface adat out into RME M16 (DA Converter)
Into Maxx BCL and back into Fireface (AES)

I also tried every combination with different outboard equipment like SSL XLogic G Series comoressor, Millennia NSEQ-2, Dangerous 2 Bus.

In every situation the pure ITB mix is wider than the mix with outboard. Does someone knows why? Or is it me doing something wrong?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Double check all of the cables. Look for a lifted or shorted leg.
Old 3 weeks ago
Village Idiot

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDoorRecords ➑️
I have this strange problem, that the stereo width of a track gets smaller, when I use outboard equipment. I really tried everything:

RME Fireface 802 outs into converter (Lavry Gold AD122-96 MX

Fireface adat out into RME M16 (DA Converter)
Into Maxx BCL and back into Fireface (AES)

I also tried every combination with different outboard equipment like SSL XLogic G Series comoressor, Millennia NSEQ-2, Dangerous 2 Bus.

In every situation the pure ITB mix is wider than the mix with outboard. Does someone knows why? Or is it me doing something wrong?
Did you try just a cable loop (out, in). That will elimiate variables other than converters and routing.

Can you pick the difference in an A/B blind test, and consistently?

If you are able to do so with just a transfer loop, try posting the A/B files here.

Gustav
Old 3 weeks ago
I experienced this too. Pretty much collapsed the mix. What I think happened was is since i didnt use dual mono channels, a left and a right and instead used a single stereo channel, both L and R on one fader. So i think some kind of internal phase shifting happened. Smallifying the mix.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ok, thank you! I'll try this. πŸ‘
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer ➑️
I experienced this too. Pretty much collapsed the mix. What I think happened was is since i didnt use dual mono channels, a left and a right and instead used a single stereo channel, both L and R on one fader. So i think some kind of internal phase shifting happened. Smallifying the mix.
This would not be an issue on any properly set up DAW. A stereo channel and separate L/R should be identical.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
From a purely theoretical perspective, this is only possible due to excessive crossfeed effects, somewhere in the chain (left mixed a bit into right, right mixed a bit into left = less stereo overall).
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Do you mean the use of the channels in a DAW or in the internal mixer of the interface?
Old 3 weeks ago
I'm talking about the use of outboard (analog), specifically, the use of a mixing console. I believe the stereo image/width would have been preserved if I used dual mono instead of a single stereo channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering ➑️
This would not be an issue on any properly set up DAW. A stereo channel and separate L/R should be identical.
True statement: There are no issues if there are no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR ➑️
From a purely theoretical perspective, this is only possible due to excessive crossfeed effects, somewhere in the chain (left mixed a bit into right, right mixed a bit into left = less stereo overall).
this is more like it. Pretty much exactly what I think is goin on. The left and the right are literally combined onto one fader. Ultimately ending up with left mixed into the right and vice versa.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm talking about the use of outboard (analog), specifically, the use of a mixing console. I believe the stereo image/width would have been preserved if I used dual mono instead of a single stereo channel.

True statement: There are no issues if there are no problems.

this is more like it. Pretty much exactly what I think is goin on. The left and the right are literally combined onto one fader. Ultimately ending up with left mixed into the right and vice versa.
Apologies, I thought you were referring to DAW channels.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What I think happened was is since i didnt use dual mono channels, a left and a right and instead used a single stereo channel, both L and R on one fader. So i think some kind of internal phase shifting happened. Smallifying the mix.
If you were using dual mono channels {unlinked} instead of a stereo compressor then that's precisely what could reduce stereo image...
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_Vinatea ➑️
If you were using dual mono channels {unlinked} instead of a stereo compressor then that's precisely what could reduce stereo image...
Ok, that's interesting. I only know the effect of unlinking channels with a compressor or limiter. Some have the option to dial in the independance from 0 - 100 %. But here the stereo width gets bigger the more you reach complete independance (and your bass begins to sound weak :-)) Do you think its a similar effect with stereo and dual mono channels?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDoorRecords ➑️
Ok, that's interesting. I only know the effect of unlinking channels with a compressor or limiter. Some have the option to dial in the independance from 0 - 100 %. But here the stereo width gets bigger the more you reach complete independance (and your bass begins to sound weak :-)) Do you think its a similar effect with stereo and dual mono channels?
I was referring to a compressor with un-linked channels.

If you don't hear image narrowing/widening/bass weakening effect, etc in bypass mode, then there is your culprit.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_Vinatea ➑️

I was going to say the opposite. Unlink any compression/limiting and your image will be wider.

As far as what Corey is talking about, stereo recording track vs 2 mono ones makes 0 difference. Just do a null test with that one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➑️
I was going to say the opposite. Unlink any compression/limiting and your image will be wider.
Both modes can have an adverse effect on the stereo image, being un-linked dual mono channel compression the worst due to the stereo image will wander about in an un-linked compressor.
πŸ“ Reply