The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FabFilter Pro-L2 Control Surface?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

FabFilter Pro-L2 Control Surface?

I'm curious if anyone has any interesting solutions for a FabFilter Pro-L2 Control Surface?

I need it for an otherwise 100% analog mastering rig. I need some brickwall limiting post-converter that I can use, and I don't want to grab the mouse or even look at a computer screen.

The only 2 parameters on the Pro-L2 that I use is the gain slider and the Styles. I'm not sure how I could tell what style I'm on with a midi controller.

If anyone has any interesting solutions, I'm all ears...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevemachine ➡️
I'm curious if anyone has any interesting solutions for a FabFilter Pro-L2 Control Surface?

I need it for an otherwise 100% analog mastering rig. I need some brickwall limiting post-converter that I can use, and I don't want to grab the mouse or even look at a computer screen.

The only 2 parameters on the Pro-L2 that I use is the gain slider and the Styles. I'm not sure how I could tell what style I'm on with a midi controller.

+1

Even I am curious about this
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Interesting Question!

As a long time ME, i almost shudder to think of the time, thousands of hours, i’ve wasted over the decades wrestling with mouse, keyboard, & monitor screens.

reaching for a real knob is so much easier, see my avatar.

i recently did a shootout between FF-L2 and my time tested PSP Xenon on a hard rock mix,

The Xenon was entirely acceptable, but the FF-L2 on Transparent settings,

was much more desirable, so i went with it.

Xenon is Great for a “Set It, and Forget It” limiter, which is a nice default, and sounds good.

the FF-L2 adds something really special, if you don’t mind fiddling w submenus to find a neat flavor.

cheers, jt
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Plenty of solutions for this :

https://www.thomann.de/fr/presonus_faderport_v2.htm

and the likes...

I can map anything I want in my good old Nuendo 4 so I believe it must be the same for any DAW nowadays

Hope this helps
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb ➡️
reaching for a real knob is so much easier, see my avatar.
Part of the problem with many plugin GUI's, ironically, is that they have fake knobs. Knobs are great for a thumb and forefinger, less great on a flat screen. More like stupid.

The Fab Limiter only has one "knob" that I regularly adjust, the lookahead. I could tweak it on my control surface, but I can usually get it set up so fast (or decide it's not the right thing) that it's not worth the bother.
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Pand Sound Mastering ➡️
Plenty of solutions for this :

https://www.thomann.de/fr/presonus_faderport_v2.htm

and the likes...

I can map anything I want in my good old Nuendo 4 so I believe it must be the same for any DAW nowadays

Hope this helps
Had the Faderport and it did not work on Wavelab...FWIW
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Recommended several times on GS:

https://www.nobcontrol.com/

Not perfect but the best so far...
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
Had the Faderport and it did not work on Wavelab...FWIW
Yes Wavelab being an audio editor, I don't think the midi options have those possibilities.
What's great in Nuendo/Cubase is that even if the control surface/controller isn't listed, than you can generate a "generic remote control" and basically assign anything to everything. Steinberg cubase is the king of midi from the time when it was only available on Atari (with the bee mouse :D)
📝 Reply