The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you boost ultra high frequencies or cut?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Ghostman, I'll try to respond your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman ➡️
Hello Edward

Between those two photos

Is the first (the intro ) the organ in isolation ?
That's correct.

Quote:
And what hz did you apply your cuts
I am now attaching 2 new screenshots but of the master.

As you can see the intro now is hi-passed below 40Hz. But that's because I used a steep HPF at the intro to do so.

Then, when all the instrument parts start, I changed settings {probably dialed 20Hz w. -18/Oct. can't remember}.

So, a very steep filter for the intro, an easier one for the rest. Of course I continue to process the song and applied a bit more of EQ and compression, but IIRC not by too much as the song was already heavily peak limited.

Quote:
And do you use an analog eq?

Yes, but in this particular situation not to apply HP. Songs like this you are better off working ITB.

Quote:
I saw previously you stating that you feel it’s elementary to understand that a hpf will modulate the shape of a sound wave

But I still haven’t found a workable solution to filtering with plug ins that doesn’t leave me disliking the way it affects so much of the rest of the
spectrum (IMO with my work)

I’ve found I get better results with analog eqs than plug ins when it comes to Hp/lp filtering
And I’m wondering if it’s time to start researching a mastering analog eq

The closest I have is the fusion but it’s really a mixing tool IMO

Thanks for your thoughts if you have any
Well, the most expensive mastering EQ is not going do what I did to this mix.

You can do things ITB that you can't do with most analog EQ's, but analog EQ's sound better to my ears.

In situations like this one which is kind of extreme, do the lesser of the 2 evils. But, not doing anything to that sub noise problem would have been worse as it would have been very noticeable in many speaker systems.

I think I saved the artist a remix, but I digress. ;-)

I hope this helps,
Attached Thumbnails
Do you boost ultra high frequencies or cut?-low-freq-intro-master.jpg   Do you boost ultra high frequencies or cut?-low-freq-verse-master.jpg  

Last edited by Edward_Vinatea; 2 weeks ago at 08:46 PM..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_Vinatea ➡️
Hi Ghostman, I'll try to respond your questions.

That's correct.

I am now attaching 2 new screenshots but of the master.

As you can see the intro now is hi-passed below 40Hz. But that's because I used a steep HPF at the intro to do so.

Then, when all the instrument parts start, I changed settings {probably dialed 20Hz w. -18/Oct. can't remember}.

So, a very steep filter for the intro, an easier one for the rest. Of course I continue to process the song and applied a bit more of EQ and compression, but IIRC not by too much as the song was already heavily peak limited.

Yes, but in this particular situation not to apply HP. Songs like this you are better off working ITB.

Well, the most expensive mastering EQ is not going do what I did to this mix.

You can do things ITB that you can't do with most analog EQ's, but analog EQ's sound better to my ears.

In situations like this one which is kind of extreme, do the lesser of the 2 evils. But, not doing anything to that sub noise problem would have been worse as it would have been very noticeable in many speaker systems.

I think I saved the artist a remix, but I digress. ;-)

I hope this helps,
Thank you very much for sharing your approach ,

I’d only just finished watching a mix engineer discussing about how he refuses to use a sub to mix when I saw your post here

But I should imagine in this case a sub might have helped the engineer spot the organs low end before the mix arrived on your desk to fix

Interesting stuff and thanks again for taking a moment to give your view on my questions , its much appreciated.

Have a good evening
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thank you very much for sharing your approach ,

I’d only just finished watching a mix engineer discussing about how he refuses to use a sub to mix when I saw your post here

But I should imagine in this case a sub might have helped the engineer spot the organs low end before the mix arrived on your desk to fix

Interesting stuff and thanks again for taking a moment to give your view on my questions , its much appreciated.

Have a good evening
This happens with vibraphones and marimbas, too - low frequency noise around 30 hz, plus/minus. Not detectable on most systems without a sub.
📝 Reply