The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for someone to transfer a 1/2" Tape to Digital
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Nut
 
domino's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Looking for someone to transfer a 1/2" Tape to Digital

Hi,
Preferably in Europe.
I searched the forum but could not find a recent thread.

I have this master 1/2 inch tape with 3 mixes that has not been touched since 1986.
I do not know what the used tape speed was.
According to the label, there are 4 tracks.
The first being an EQ reference track that says [email protected] 1K, 10K & 100 Hz.
Then there are 3 mixes that I would like transferred to WAV 96K-24 Bits.
Just a transfer. No mastering.
Also, should I contemplate having the tape baked first?

Do you know of someone who could do the job?
I live in Switzerland.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
misjah's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino ➡️
Hi,
Preferably in Europe.
I searched the forum but could not find a recent thread.

I have this master 1/2 inch tape with 3 mixes that has not been touched since 1986.
I do not know what the used tape speed was.
According to the label, there are 4 tracks.
The first being an EQ reference track that says [email protected] 1K, 10K & 100 Hz.
Then there are 3 mixes that I would like transferred to WAV 96K-24 Bits.
Just a transfer. No mastering.
Also, should I contemplate having the tape baked first?

Do you know of someone who could do the job?
I live in Switzerland.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Yep i can, I’m based in holland though. Should be some people in the country where Studer’s were made I’m sure
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino ➡️
Also, should I contemplate having the tape baked first?
Do you know what make of tape it is? Ampex will need to be baked. BASF and Agfa are usually fine while some types of 3M tape will need to be baked although others don't. Anyone experienced in this type of transfer will almost certainly have their own baking facilities.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #4
Gear Nut
 
domino's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by misjah ➡️
Yep i can, I’m based in holland though. Should be some people in the country where Studer’s were made I’m sure
I know. I thought it should be possible to find someone in Switzerland. No luck so far.
I do have friends doing sound at the national TV where they have some Studer but setting up a transfer appears to be a different story.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5
Gear Nut
 
domino's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp ➡️
Do you know what make of tape it is? Ampex will need to be baked. BASF and Agfa are usually fine while some types of 3M tape will need to be baked although others don't. Anyone experienced in this type of transfer will almost certainly have their own baking facilities.
It is a BASF Studio Master 911.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino ➡️
It is a BASF Studio Master 911.
That should almost certainly play with no problems (although I'd better not say it will work 100% as you always get the odd problem tape with any make).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Adam Dempsey's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino ➡️
I have this master 1/2 inch tape with 3 mixes that has not been touched since 1986.
I do not know what the used tape speed was.
According to the label, there are 4 tracks.
The first being an EQ reference track that says [email protected] 1K, 10K & 100 Hz.
4 tracks (songs) or "4 track"? A 10" reel?
No mention of noise reduction? These are things the transfer studio will need to know. Good that it has alignment tones though.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8
Gear Nut
 
domino's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey ➡️
4 tracks (songs) or "4 track"? A 10" reel?
No mention of noise reduction? These are things the transfer studio will need to know. Good that it has alignment tones though.
4 tracks as in 4 selections/titles.
Specifically, 1 EQ ref. track plus 3 mixes.
Vocal up and down for one song.
One mix for the second song.
No mention of noise reduction.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump