The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Balancing the left and right channel levels
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Balancing the left and right channel levels

Hi guys
I’m using some outboard gear to do my final masters, But having problems getting a true left and right balanced level
If I use different test tones, and mono sourced tracks from various things like bass and click tracks to calibrate left and right levels..,
But certain frequencies have the left channel a little bit hotter, and then other frequencies have the right channel a little bit hotter by about 1db
Is this normal when using outboard gear?
I’m using apogee Rosetta 800 converter’s, A Drawmer 1960 tube compressor, and an API 5500 eq
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've noticed this with outboard stereo compressors/limiters. There are quite a few units like the TK Audio BC1-THD that have a single threshold pot and single output/makeup pot. The only way to make sure you have equal channel matching is to have some sort of output L/R trimmers. I contacted Thomas at TK Audio and he said "all BC1-THD units that have shipped 2020 has the vca unity gain trimmers". I wonder how many others have experienced this with stereo compressor/limiters with single control outputs for L/R?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd say no, a L/R level offset of about 1dB is definitely not normal and should be addressed.
In a first step you need to find out which processor causes the offset, I guess it's the 1960, but who knows...

Start with the Rosetta 800 performing a DA AD loop from/to you DAW, if the converter works as it should, plug/unplug the hw.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint ➡️
I'd say no, a L/R level offset of about 1dB is definitely not normal and should be addressed.
In a first step you need to find out which processor causes the offset, I guess it's the 1960, but who knows...

Start with the Rosetta 800 performing a DA AD loop from/to you DAW, if the converter works as it should, plug/unplug the hw.
I’ll do some troubleshooting experiments that’s a good idea, But my +or- offset can change from left side to right side depending upon if it’s a low frequency or high frequency test tone
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti ➡️
my +or- offset can change from left side to right side depending upon if it’s a low frequency or high frequency test tone
I know this issue from a tube comp I own myself, that's why my guess was the 1960. But do your experiments first
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti ➡️
But certain frequencies have the left channel a little bit hotter, and then other frequencies have the right channel a little bit hotter by about 1db
Is this normal when using outboard gear?
I would put my attention to the unit w. tubes. Can you swap the L for the R and vice versa to see if the problem changes to the other side?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That’s a good idea !
I did change out the tubes probably about 10 years ago but thr swap test would be a simple way to troubleshoot it and if needed I can just get new tubes
I’ll try that thank you
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
yeah, for dealing with slight l/r shifts i slap a voxengo msed on the out (mute sides) and another on the in (mute mid), from there if anything is audible it's easier to calibrate/troubleshoot
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by graph ➡️
yeah, for dealing with slight l/r shifts i slap a voxengo msed on the out (mute sides) and another on the in (mute mid), from there if anything is audible it's easier to calibrate/troubleshoot
The tubes I have in the 1960 are about 10 years old...I decided to contact Christian at proaudiotubes, and I ordered some decent quality Sylvania tubes that he will burn in and match for me.
I think that might address the issue, but I will report back either way.
Thanks Brothas!
📝 Reply