The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you only had three plugins (no hw) to master...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I would say:
Weiss EQ1
TC MD4
Weiss limiter
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Speaking of mastering plugins, I saw some MEs are using a new bx_limiter True Peak before its release and saying it's great. Any other MEs using it yet?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1) Softube Harmonics Analog Saturation Processor
2) Softube Tape
3) DMG Limitless

in that order :-D
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Softube Drawmer 1973
Softube Drawmer S73
A.O.M Invisible Limiter G2

okay so I cheated on the thread! :D
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Irizarry ➡️
1) Softube Harmonics Analog Saturation Processor
2) Softube Tape
3) DMG Limitless

in that order :-D
Thats an interesting choice! Tape and Harmonics are some powerful plug ins!
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
With just iZotope Ozone or FabFilter bundle you can do pretty much anything you want to with any mix you want to.

FabFilter Saturn for all the color and even/odd harmonics etc.

FabFilter Pro-DS for smoothing the high end/Pro-MB for tightening the lows but man use this plug sparingly, takes seconds to spoil a great mix balance, took me a year of practice to get confident on using it, and I still use only 1 band, at the extreme two bands.

FabFilter Pro-Q3 for EQing, gives you the best of both worlds, FIR and IIR filters with dynamic capabilities, both sound amazing.

Lastly, the Pro-L2 for transparent limiting

Mentioned Ozone because sometimes that master assistant can help if you’re totally screwed up with a mix on which any manual move doesn’t work, this master assistant then adds some dynamic eq and little normal eq to make a mix bearable and then you can take it from there..

Pretty sure all of this is more than enough to do a competitive master that sounds loud clear and punchy.

Hope this helps!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are we on an island? I'd start swimming...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
With only 3 plugins, I'd have to go for these:

1) Tone Projects Unisum for any and all main compression tasks
2) DMG Audio Multiplicity for all EQ and other dynamic tasks (upwards expansion for instance)
3) DMG Audio Limitless for all single or multiband limiting + awesome clipping if needed

I think I could possibly cover most projects with these but it'd feel extremely limiting for sure.

Alternatively, if I could only use a single plugin it'd be Native Instruments Reaktor and it'd force me to build my own tools for each needed task (already built a few prototypes over the years).
Lives for gear

gEQ12
DSEQ
SLM2
Gear Head

TDR Nova - eq, compression, de-essing
StandardClip - clip and saturation
ProL2 - limiting
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
iZotope Ozone 9 adv.
DMG EQuilibrium
DMG Limitless
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
weiss
sonnox
jünger

...but why no hardware?! :-)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
There's Junger plugins now? Anything like the D02?
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone ➡️
There's Junger plugins now? Anything like the D02?
nope/not quite: flux/jünger have ported the level magic algorithm but not the multi-loop compressor, at least not in the version i have here.

jünger has been struggling for some time (before pandemic); not sure what's the current state of affairs but i hope they keep going (and maybe even port the d0x series one day...)

i keep using a ton of their digital hardware processors - d01, d02, d03, d05, mix4, accent, slim line - and cannot imagine working without them!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 3 weeks ago at 06:06 PM.. Reason: wording
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson ➡️
I have mastered tons of albums with only an ITB dynamic EQ (Hofa IQ-EQ), a de-esser (DMG Essence) and a limiter (FabFilter Pro L2).
I like the Modern algo of the FF L-2. How hard is everyone pushing on this? 6-9db of reduction?
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenozeno ➡️
I like the Modern algo of the FF L-2. How hard is everyone pushing on this? 6-9db of reduction?
9dB’s of gain reduction??! And that too from a single source which is a limiter? I wonder what it might sound like with such settings: a pumpy, mushy and distorted mess

Not more than 2dB’s, at most 3dB’s

The Pro-L2 isn’t designed to do more gain reduction, it’s designed to do quality gain reduction, quality vs quantity. So it’s not that this limiter isn’t powerful or something, it’s that the 2-3dB’s you’ll push with this limiter will be very transparent if we know how to use it
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Slightly OT: I'm definitely not advocating 6-9db of GR with one processor, but I've found that sometimes a single processor doing the heavy lifting can sound better than the same GR spread across multiple processors. Often not the case... but sometimes it is
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalex ➡️
9dB’s of gain reduction??! And that too from a single source which is a limiter? I wonder what it might sound like with such settings: a pumpy, mushy and distorted mess

Not more than 2dB’s, at most 3dB’s

The Pro-L2 isn’t designed to do more gain reduction, it’s designed to do quality gain reduction, quality vs quantity. So it’s not that this limiter isn’t powerful or something, it’s that the 2-3dB’s you’ll push with this limiter will be very transparent if we know how to use it
You can definitely do a lot more gain reduction quite safely, unless you set some silly settings on attack and release, with Pro-L2 and it's modern algorithm.

It was specifically and very carefully tuned to be capable of doing that. Trust me. I know.

Having said that, due to how program dependent it is, you will get different results at lower vs higher amounts of gain reduction. This is why some tracks will work better if you tame the peaks pre-limiter (either with gain staging your analogue chain so as to gently round off peaks or use a fast compressor.. or even clipping) and why some tracks will work better slamming the limiter. As always, it's completely subjective and you do whatever you think fits the track the best.

There are no rules, except the one and only: "Don't make it sound bad!"
📝 Reply