The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Noise cancellation headphones?
Old 30th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Noise cancellation headphones?

Are there any headphones with noise cancellation that are useful for serious monitoring, or is the process too damaging to the signal path?
Old 30th March 2021
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Short answer "NO"! Why would anyone need this??? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 30th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It’s not there yet. There are no real hifi noise canceling headphone options. Until Audeze or someone of that caliber does something truly noise cancelling.

One thing people do though is get custom molds of very high end iems. Like the top end jh audio ones, or similar caliber. None of them are really flat either, so you pick something with super great resolution and tune it with eq. This takes incredible amounts of experience to do on your own.

Audeze just released a closed back iem that apparently has good isolation. I am demoing some this week.

Why would anyone want this? Master a record on a plane/train or somewhere with tons of background noise. You can already master with headphones, so why not make it even more convenient?
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
......Master a record on a plane/train or somewhere with tons of background noise. You can already master with headphones, so why not make it even more convenient?
hmmmm
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva ➡️
hmmmm
Read up on Glenn Schick, and then compare his credits to basically anyone on this forum.
Old 30th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
Short answer "NO"! Why would anyone need this??? Inquiring minds want to know.
I'm sure I don't understand your question.
Need?
Do we "need" any technology?

I see noise cancellation being added to many consumer products. I use a pair of headphones when working out that has noise cancellation and I was impressed that it managed to block out quite a bit of noise (weights clanking etc.).

As many technologies advance over time and may become refined, I am essentially asking if this tech has been adopted for professional listening. Perhaps it has made its way onto a few pairs meant for mixing or mastering and perhaps someone here has tried one of those products and perhaps it yields a usable or desirable result.

How is that at all confusing?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…