The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Differences in Left and right with stereo tube gear, how much is normal?
Old 28th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx ➡️
How big of a L-R imbalance do you think it would take for a client or a consumer to perceive it?
Depends on who it is right, some could hear .5-1.db, but I’d say 1.5-2db would be hard I think for someone not to notice, 3 db for sure regardless who it is, just my opinion of course. I bet In a blind test the results would be much higher as in about 3db. I think most people who heard the mix without the imbalance would spot it earlier while people who never heard the song without the imbalance would just think it’s how the song was meant to be or something.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I think it depends a bit on whether it's a fullrange imbalance or in a narrower range. A couple dB difference at 100 Hz would be harder to hear than 2 dB at 1K. They'd look different on a VU meter, too.
Old 28th March 2021
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, I'm just thinking about how many MEs (myself included) I've seen post that they tweak the balance to within 0.1dB on a regular basis. I wonder how much time I've spent doing that when it was only 0.2dB off to begin with. And who cares?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx ➡️
Yeah, I'm just thinking about how many MEs (myself included) I've seen post that they tweak the balance to within 0.1dB on a regular basis. I wonder how much time I've spent doing that when it was only 0.2dB off to begin with. And who cares?
I think the "who cares" depends on some particulars. I don't master. But this subject is top of mind because I've got several pairs of fairly old transformers, and sometimes I'll strap a pair across a mix bus. I did this recently and the transformers did the thing I expected them to do, but the piano on the right side developed a "zing" in the upper register. I swapped the two transformers lefty-righty, and the zing went away. Nothing you could see on a meter, but it changed the musical balance and I'm pretty sure most people would have been able to hear it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
I think the "who cares" depends on some particulars. I don't master. But this subject is top of mind because I've got several pairs of fairly old transformers, and sometimes I'll strap a pair across a mix bus. I did this recently and the transformers did the thing I expected them to do, but the piano on the right side developed a "zing" in the upper register. I swapped the two transformers lefty-righty, and the zing went away. Nothing you could see on a meter, but it changed the musical balance and I'm pretty sure most people would have been able to hear it.
That type of imbalance is different than the type of imbalance being discussed in this thread I would say, not that the discussion is not welcome in this thread I would say 100% it is, and even if it wasn’t it’d still be welcome by me cause who are any of us to say what’s not welcome. But the differences of left and right imbalances discussed would be one where a centered track would be drifting, like a kick or vocals, not necessarily a tone or characteristic, like if my compressors left had a different tone than the right it would be going back immediately.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artcutech ➡️
That type of imbalance is different than the type of imbalance being discussed in this thread.
I was mainly addressing the question posed in Post 30. A slightly off-topic sidebar discussion, maybe, but it seemed germane to me. Sorry.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
I was mainly addressing the question posed in Post 30. A slightly off-topic sidebar discussion, maybe, but it seemed germane to me. Sorry.
Please don’t be sorry haha, I was just tryna reference the difference in type of imbalance.

I think he prob was speaking in drifting meter terms also, tone would mean something is broken, at least to me.
📝 Reply