The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ATC SCM50ASL
Old 10th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ATC SCM50ASL

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, sorry if it's not.

It's not a done deal but I'm thinking about getting a pair of ATC SCM50ASL.
Actually I've been thinking about this since the first time I heard them, they blew my mind.

I will check masters on them but would mainly use them for enjoyment. (Music listening and movies) Considering that, do they require a pair of subs?
Do the subs have to be placed underneath each speaker for best results?

I only heard them with a single sub, never heard them by themselves. In my room if I need a sub I'll need two because placing just one in the middle isn't an option.

Right now in that room is a pair of Amphion Two15 and they sound superb in that room.
Those would go in another room for writing.
Another option would be to get a smaller ATC speaker for the writing room but those 50s were so nice when I heard them...
Old 10th March 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull ➡️
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, sorry if it's not.

It's not a done deal but I'm thinking about getting a pair of ATC SCM50ASL.
Actually I've been thinking about this since the first time I heard them, they blew my mind.

I will check masters on them but would mainly use them for enjoyment. (Music listening and movies) Considering that, do they require a pair of subs?
Do the subs have to be placed underneath each speaker for best results?

I only heard them with a single sub, never heard them by themselves. In my room if I need a sub I'll need two because placing just one in the middle isn't an option.

Right now in that room is a pair of Amphion Two15 and they sound superb in that room.
Those would go in another room for writing.
Another option would be to get a smaller ATC speaker for the writing room but those 50s were so nice when I heard them...
I guess it depends greatly on the room size and volume. In my previous room I had 50s with no subs and it was perfect but it was a smallish room.

In any case, the easiest way would be to get them without subs and see how it behaves in your place. You can always add the subs later at any time though keep in mind ATCs subs are massive in their size! So they’re not the easiest subs to place in a room…
Old 10th March 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Amazing speakers. I just got my pair a few months ago. I guess for pre-production “needing” a sub really depends on the type of music you’re making and vibe you’re looking for. As mentioned above, room placement is key. I was able to get a waterfall reading that extended well below what the low frequency plot of the speakers themselves.

Cant go wrong with the 50’s imo. Definitely worth it if you have the budget as you get their new tweeter.
Old 10th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmarques ➡️
I guess it depends greatly on the room size and volume. In my previous room I had 50s with no subs and it was perfect but it was a smallish room.

In any case, the easiest way would be to get them without subs and see how it behaves in your place. You can always add the subs later at any time though keep in mind ATCs subs are massive in their size! So they’re not the easiest subs to place in a room…
Yeah the sub size factor is a big deal since this is going to be in the living room. The ATC are already quite a lot bigger than my current Two15s, I'm not sure if adding subs would be wife approved lol

Do they come with the small stands shown on a lot of pictures?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by duende ➡️
Amazing speakers. I just got my pair a few months ago. I guess for pre-production “needing” a sub really depends on the type of music you’re making and vibe you’re looking for. As mentioned above, room placement is key. I was able to get a waterfall reading that extended well below what the low frequency plot of the speakers themselves.

Cant go wrong with the 50’s imo. Definitely worth it if you have the budget as you get their new tweeter.
My room only has two bass traps but it's a pretty decent size, 18 feet by 15 feet with 10 feet high ceilings.
My Amphion took some careful placement but they have never sounded has good as this even compared to my previous dedicated, professionally treated, mixing room.
Quote:
Yeah the sub size factor is a big deal since this is going to be in the living room. The ATC are already quite a lot bigger than my current Two15s, I'm not sure if adding subs would be wife approved lol

Do they come with the small stands shown on a lot of pictures?
Our sister company sells ATCs here so I just checked with them and it doesn’t come with the stands. You can get stuff like the Towersonics which are great! In any case, prepare for a big lead time to getting the ATCs, unless your dealer has stock it might take over 10 weeks to receive a pair right now. They’re in huge demand and with the whole pandemic scenario in the UK production hasn’t been able to keep up with orders.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmarques ➡️
Our sister company sells ATCs here so I just checked with them and it doesn’t come with the stands. You can get stuff like the Towersonics which are great! In any case, prepare for a big lead time to getting the ATCs, unless your dealer has stock it might take over 10 weeks to receive a pair right now. They’re in huge demand and with the whole pandemic scenario in the UK production hasn’t been able to keep up with orders.
Thanks for the info about the stands.
This is a long term project, I need to decide if I'm ready or not to sell my analog gear to afford those.

I don't really work much in audio these days, used to be full time but I'm a dad at home now so good sounding speakers would get a lot more use than expansive outboards...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I use ATC50's with two Adam 12" subs and it sounds great. I would recommend having a very well design room for having this speakers with subs. In my case they were very well calibrated with a passive bass management system (Cosinus by Roger Schult) and they work very well. I would say also, that my room has a very good acoustic design. I have listened ATC50's in other rooms and they were heavily affected by the acoustics, they sounded quite different than in my studio
Good luck!!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgsmusic ➡️
I use ATC50's with two Adam 12" subs and it sounds great. I would recommend having a very well design room for having this speakers with subs. In my case they were very well calibrated with a passive bass management system (Cosinus by Roger Schult) and they work very well. I would say also, that my room has a very good acoustic design. I have listened ATC50's in other rooms and they were heavily affected by the acoustics, they sounded quite different than in my studio
Good luck!!
Thanks for sharing!
Its not the first time I read they dont play nice with less than perfect room...
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for sharing!
Its not the first time I read they dont play nice with less than perfect room...
Not going to argue with the benefits of a well designed room.

But that's not the only option available.

I converted a room in my flat to be a studio during the pandemic.. Admittedly, I've got 6 well placed bass traps, but my SCM50ASL's are sounding great. Test great too.. Better than my smaller PMCs. Just lots of acoustic variables to deal with placing any brand speaker in a room. (Digital processed speakers aside of course)
📝 Reply