The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for a new finishing eq
Old 7th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Looking for a new finishing eq

I’d like to add a broad strokes, intuitive end of chain EQ that is both euphonic and versatile. Doing lots of filmscore type work, so versatility from orchestral to driving electronic would be a key. I use digital eq on the front end of my chain (pro-Q and a weiss eq1-dyn)

Some contenders I have now are:

Gyraf G23-S
Manley Massive Passive
SPL passeq
Dangerous Bax

Would love to hear some thoughts!
Old 7th September 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The massive passive is a great EQ. I use that with my MAAG EQ4M. An amazing combination.

All the EQ's you have on the list are rated highly. So I don't think you would be unhappy with any of them.

But the Massive Passive would be my first choice of all of them. If you push it with electronic the harmonics are great. It can also be very clean. A few weeks ago I mastered a film score with the pair and it came out great. Then last week was Metal week. The pair was near perfect there. Very versatile set up.

The MAAG might be something you could add to the list.
Old 7th September 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I wouldn’t consider the Passeq or the BAX to be ‘euphonic’. Very accurate and I love the high and low cuts on the Passeq especially, but they don’t really add any overt sheen or colour to the sound.

I’ve never used a Massive Passive but you can read loads about them online and, I guess, try the plugin. The G23-S is great and pretty versatile. The Hendyamps Michelangelo is also great for a similar price.
Old 7th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
BAX and Massive Passive, both are great equalizers, used all over the world by mastering engineers

If you're looking for a little colour yet transparency, look nowhere other than massive passive in your list

The BAX is another awesome eq, also used extensively by mastering engineers, but it is a little transparent compared to massive passive.

Just passing audio through massive passive colors audio really well, thanks to all the tubes and transformers inside

The BAX gives you control of just the extremes of the spectrum, much like a bass and treble control of a car, but the massive passive, along with these offers you control of the entire spectrum

Evaluate your options accordingly and get either of them, if going for massive passive, please get the 'mastering version' with stepped knobs, will help you save settings
Old 7th September 2020
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
This is good news but make sure you make clear you are the manufacturer of the device for those who don't know you yet.
Cheers!
Old 7th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
My mistake, I was still using X-Pand Sound account, will change this and repost with Audiotales Designs right away. Cheers Riccardo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo ➡️
This is good news but make sure you make clear you are the manufacturer of the device for those who don't know you yet.
Cheers!
Old 7th September 2020
Gear Nut

Verified Member
Well a brand new Equalizer designed for that purpose is about to be released :
"1951 Mastering Equalizer"
Here are some teasing about it : https://www.instagram.com/audiotalesdesigns/?hl=fr
It is an all tube, class A, Mastering Equalizer, with innovative function aswell.

Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I’d say Massive Passive is way more than a broad stroke EQ, although it can be that. But it’s an alpha EQ. It has four interactive bands per channel, all bands can be shelf or bell, shelves that can be resonant, high pass and low pass filters, and tube output trim. It’s in rare company in terms of its feature set.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
My suggestion would be the Great River MAQ-2NV: simple to use, but varied in application, it's all-switched and includes a channel link function. It has a gentle colour suitable for a wide range of material, and is particularly effective in the midrange. Unusually, and although it doesn't look like it, it's a digitally-controlled analogue design, backed by some of the best customer service I've encountered.

http://www.greweb.com/maq-2nv.html

Last edited by lowland; 8th September 2020 at 08:24 AM..
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtone ➡️
I’d like to add a broad strokes, intuitive end of chain EQ that is both euphonic and versatile. Doing lots of filmscore type work, so versatility from orchestral to driving electronic would be a key. I use digital eq on the front end of my chain (pro-Q and a weiss eq1-dyn)

Gyraf G23-S
Manley Massive Passive
SPL passeq
Dangerous Bax

gyraf g23-s maybe

whats a bout a knif soma?
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Gyraf G23-S
Manley Massive Passive
SPL passeq
Dangerous Bax

Goly Porter Grinder
Vintage Audio MD3 Skyline EQ
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Since you're looking for a "broad stroke" kind of thing, maybe consider the Buzz Audio Zodiac. Although it was conceived as a tracking EQ, its main feature is a Baxandall-type "tilt" control that I've found makes it really simple to use. For extra mojo, you could order it with Tim Farrant's discrete op amps, which are excellent.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I am expecting to be happy with a couple Grace Design m103 channel strips. . .even for mastering EQ. Though I've no interest in offering professional services to external clients, I am curious where and why this solution doesn't make it?

Regards,

Ray H.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hendyamps Michealangelo is amazing and can be picked up pretty cheap used for some reason. It can be clean or saucy, has an amazing air band and killer mids. It’s also built like a tank. There is a reason so many mastering pros have them.
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Nut

It's not on your list, but the Crane Song IBIS is definitely worth checking out...
Old 9th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor ➡️
Hendyamps Michealangelo is amazing and can be picked up pretty cheap used for some reason. It can be clean or saucy, has an amazing air band and killer mids. It’s also built like a tank. There is a reason so many mastering pros have them.
Ive considered the MA in the past but didnt love the way it saturated. Cant really put my finger on it.
Old 9th September 2020
Gear Maniac

My original post should have indicated I used an Avalon 2055, but matching sides and recall was bothersome to me, despite a nice tone.
Old 9th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick ➡️
Since you're looking for a "broad stroke" kind of thing, maybe consider the Buzz Audio Zodiac. Although it was conceived as a tracking EQ, its main feature is a Baxandall-type "tilt" control that I've found makes it really simple to use. For extra mojo, you could order it with Tim Farrant's discrete op amps, which are excellent.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
wow this looks really interesting, thanks!
Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another vote for the Massive Passive here. It can be either very clean or quite colored, depending on how much you push it. Beautiful EQ.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've been using a Tube Tech HLT-2AM at the end of my chain lately and it's blowing me away. Tilt EQ with shelves and cut filters. I replaced the tubes and it sounds amazing. They make two versions, a regular (HLT-2A) and a mastering one with switches (HLT-2AM). You might want to look at that.

Broad stroke that sounds amazing and is easy? Maybe the Vertigo VSE-2? I've been using the plug in and it's blowing me away so I'm lusting for the hardware. Vertigo can also make a mastering version with 1db steps for all gain knobs and the low cut filter altered to something like 0-100hz instead of 0-400 hz for the mixing one. They have a plug in if you want to demo it to give you an idea if it can work for you.

Polybonk very recently hipped me to the IGS iQ Inductor Equalizer. For the price it seems ridiculous. You might wanna take a look at that - two channel EQ with switches for everything. 4 bands of bell shaped EQ, each band bypassable and adjustable Q. All inductor. I might just pick one up because of the price and from what I've heard so far it sounds really good.
https://www.igsaudio.com/iq
Old 15th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
I've been using a Tube Tech HLT-2AM at the end of my chain lately and it's blowing me away. Tilt EQ with shelves and cut filters. I replaced the tubes and it sounds amazing. They make two versions, a regular (HLT-2A) and a mastering one with switches (HLT-2AM). You might want to look at that.

Broad stroke that sounds amazing and is easy? Maybe the Vertigo VSE-2? I've been using the plug in and it's blowing me away so I'm lusting for the hardware. Vertigo can also make a mastering version with 1db steps for all gain knobs and the low cut filter altered to something like 0-100hz instead of 0-400 hz for the mixing one. They have a plug in if you want to demo it to give you an idea if it can work for you.

Polybonk very recently hipped me to the IGS iQ Inductor Equalizer. For the price it seems ridiculous. You might wanna take a look at that - two channel EQ with switches for everything. 4 bands of bell shaped EQ, each band bypassable and adjustable Q. All inductor. I might just pick one up because of the price and from what I've heard so far it sounds really good.
https://www.igsaudio.com/iq

what tubes did you put in the Tubetech?
Old 16th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogoftears ➡️
what tubes did you put in the Tubetech?
The Tube tech takes 6 tubes - 3 for each side. So it's 2 12AU7 / ECC82 tubes (one on each side) and 4 12AX7 / ECC83 Tubes (Two for each side).

I got Gold Lions for the 12AU7 / ECC82 tubes

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...-lion-gold-pin

And JJ Gold pins for the 12AX7 / ECC83 tubes

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...jj-electronics

There was a separate thread where someone had talked to Tube Tech and they said that the only tubes that really matter are the ones in the first position which are 12AX7 / ECC83 tubes so if money's tight or you have a spare pair of 12AX7 tubes lying around, swap them in the V1 position and that should be the biggest benefit. Someone in the thread said that they swapped only those tubes and indeed it did make a big change. Tube tech also said the tubes don't have to be matched or anything and that seems to be the case. I didn't get mine matched and after I installed them and let the unit warm up, I checked everything on a scope and the stereo balance was rock solid.

The stock tubes were nameless and were just stamped "Made in China" and that's it. The biggest benefit I noticed was that the bass got tighter and the mid range opened up and sounded a bit more dimensional.

Anyway - hope that helps!
Old 17th September 2020
AHM
Here for the gear

Master painter, Ives Gammell said it's best to do the broad strokes first and the fine detail work after. It's how I master audio, and it seems to be very effective. I lean on the Mastering Massive Passive as my first eq - almost always signaling through it, unbalanced - and I often use its 12-Hz hpf (which isn't available on the non-mastering version of the same EQ). I might insert the T-bar / S-C Vari-Mu or OCL-2 between the Massivo and the Sontec, which is also unbalanced, in/out. The Sontec I have is the '8-band', stereo-switches version (i.e., can't use it for M/S, since left and right channels are adjusted simultaneously with each switch). It only has +/- 7-dB gain steps because it starts out with 1/4-dB increments, building up to 1-dB... This is my 'detail brush'. So, I get the mix sounding as good as possible with only the Massivo, and then I correct the residual imbalances with the 6 parametric bands in the '8-band' Sontec. The Sontec's shelves are sometimes useful, and can be magical, but I usually don't need them... If they are needed, I try invoking them before adjusting parametrically, following Gammell's dictum. Ymmv, but I recommend you try this approach to all endeavors in life. First fix what's 'most wrong' with whatever you're working on, and then do the touching up. With dynamics processing, it's normal to have to make eq adjustments after hearing what they are doing, so, even though I have them down-stream from the Massivo - which is right after my transfer D/A, I usually pump up the volume early on, while I'm getting the general balance with the 'broad strokes' eq... The last may be first, but the first is never last to be tweaked. ...Otherwise, it should throw the detail work off, since that was 'building on' the previously-realized 'broad strokes'.
Old 17th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM ➡️
Master painter, Ives Gammell said it's best to do the broad strokes first and the fine detail work after. It's how I master audio, and it seems to be very effective
That's my approach as well, very effective indeed!
Old 19th September 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
High Voltage Audio, bax eq...
Old 2nd November 2020
Gear Nut

Verified Member
I've been waiting for a while to share this on this thread, but the day has finally come !

1951 Mastering Equalizer is exactly designed for this purpose

Stereo Ganged, 21 Detent, introducing 2 new features : Barytone and Aircap, and much much more. I made a new topic here on the Mastering forum as a general discussion, and you also have the link for the video Tutorial and sound demo of the unit :

1951 Mastering Equalizer

Quote:

Gyraf G23-S
Manley Massive Passive
SPL passeq
Dangerous Bax

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness ➡️
Another vote for the Massive Passive here. It can be either very clean or quite colored, depending on how much you push it. Beautiful EQ.
Hi. Can we get more Rms by pushing massive passive?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga ➡️
Hi. Can we get more Rms by pushing massive passive?
I am not sure I understand the question. RMS level is usually a term that's used in compressors, not equalizers.

Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness ➡️
I am not sure I understand the question. RMS level is usually a term that's used in compressors, not equalizers.

I think, what he’s trying to say is gaining loudness in terms of RMS

Something like shaving off a couple dB’s by overdriving the equalizer?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalex ➡️
I think, what he’s trying to say is gaining loudness in terms of RMS

Something like shaving of a couple dB’s by overdriving the equalizer?
Well, if you boost certain bands (or to be more precise low frequencies), most likely you will raise to a certain extent the overall RMS of a track. I am not sure if this is what he meant, though.

To overdrive the MP you need a rather hot signal feeding the transformer coupled inputs (if I remember properly those are the XLR, not the 1/4 jacks). And when I say hot signal, I don't mean +1dB or +2dB, like don't expect to get any colour out of tubes with minimal boosts. Contrary to what lots of people think, tubes are relatively linear electronics and it takes a rather generous signal in order to get any colour, distortion, whatever. And even in that case, it's difficult to say to what extent whatever coloration is apparent comes from the tubes and not from the transformers or the peculiar EQ curves, as those curves themselves might introduce a little "colour".
📝 Reply