The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prism Sound Lyra question
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Addict

Prism Sound Lyra question

Hello,

I´m planning to test a Lyra in my setup and as I´m not using USB (RME AES +AIO here) and only need 1 stereo line i/o, the Lyra 2 would offer features I don´t need and use.

The Lyra 1 would fit but unfortunately it doesn´t offer AES or WC.
Just spdif via toslink.

Did anybody test the toslink connection with the 1 or 2 and did it work fine, or have there been any problems (jitter, sync etc.).

Thanks for your support!
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lyra 2 user here (mixing). Use it only as my DA to speakers. Input via AES, clocking via AES too. (main clock for the hole rig is Antelope). Works and sounds great. Also use the second output for the USB so on my console I have separate outputs (Pro Tools from AES and computer from USB) what makes it easy for comparison, etc..
Old 28th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis ➡️
Lyra 2 user here (mixing). Use it only as my DA to speakers. Input via AES, clocking via AES too. (main clock for the hole rig is Antelope). Works and sounds great. Also use the second output for the USB so on my console I have separate outputs (Pro Tools from AES and computer from USB) what makes it easy for comparison, etc..
Thank you for your input.

Unfortunately AES and USB are exactly the things I wouldn´t use in this case .

Have you ever compared AES and Toslink with your Lyra?
Old 29th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Collins ➡️
Thank you for your input.

Unfortunately AES and USB are exactly the things I wouldn´t use in this case .

Have you ever compared AES and Toslink with your Lyra?
No, I haven't. Sorry. I thought you were using AES.
Old 29th July 2020
Deleted 49af092
The Lyra 1 seems to be not quite there for mastering in terms of I/O and features.

I do use a Lyra 2 as part of my mastering chain. I use it in standalone ADDA mode as one of my 3 options for DA into the analog chain and AD back to digital.

Sometimes it's the better option for a song compared to the HEDD Quantum or Dangerous for DA or AD.

I use the AES3 I/O on RCA jacks. Bob Katz suggested some proper transformers from Neutrik that work well, rather than the included XLR to RCA adaptor which seems a little iffy.

No jitter or sync problems. It works and sounds great.

I haven't used it for anything beyond that so I can't comment on TOSLINK, or how it works as an interface as I just use it in standalone mode.
Old 29th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. ➡️
The Lyra 1 seems to be not quite there for mastering in terms of I/O and features.

I do use a Lyra 2 as part of my mastering chain. I use it in standalone ADDA mode as one of my 3 options for DA into the analog chain and AD back to digital.

Sometimes it's the better option for a song compared to the HEDD Quantum or Dangerous for DA or AD.

I use the AES3 I/O on RCA jacks. Bob Katz suggested some proper transformers from Neutrik that work well, rather than the included XLR to RCA adaptor which seems a little iffy.

No jitter or sync problems. It works and sounds great.

I haven't used it for anything beyond that so I can't comment on TOSLINK, or how it works as an interface as I just use it in standalone mode.
Thank you for your feedback!

I also want to use it as a standalone DAC, as an additional option among my other DACs and ADCs.
That´s why I was wondering about the Lyra 1 because the second pair of I/Os in the 2 will never be used, as well as the pres.

I would use 2 Mutec MC-6 AES/Spdif converters that are clocked by WC from a Mutec MC-3+ like my other ADs and DAs.
Old 29th July 2020
Deleted 49af092
Yeah. It's too bad they didn't put the AES I/O on the Lyra 1, or a word clock I/O.

The extra pair of DAC is not really needed by me either but I did want the AES and word clock options so the Lyra 2 was the minimum for me.

AFAIK, the converters themselves are the same, but the I/O differences are pretty big.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hoping to find an answer from a Prism owner:
- Is the software mixer able to “loop back”? - sending an output to an input without any conversion. This is useful for doing VO:s over Skype with clients. I can do this with Rme Raydat and totalmix.
📝 Reply