The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Overstayer - Who Uses It and Which Version?
Old 27th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Robinson ➡️
He sent me some samples a few weeks back and I too level matched them in RX in order to try to understand what was happening.

While I do hear some very tasteful tone swelling that varies subtlety according to the settings, my immediate focus was on the obvious analog clipping which the samples each have varying degrees of.

Since we won't be fooled by loudness, once level matched the primary differences becomes crest factor related IMO. This is not a bad thing per se, and there are a few other awesome sounding boxes that shake off the dead leafs to great affect.

And I definitely heard some beautiful transient enhancement that no digital clipper or expander I've heard can achieve. A very musical splat that gives the ear the impression of more transient even when visually the waveform is showing less. For this punch enhancement alone im still interested.
Yes the Temp samples all have asymmetrical clipping to varying degrees. The Cook samples retain much more of the peaks.

Before I level matched them I was liking Temp. After level matching I prefer Cook. But that's just on that song of course.

The snare drum attack and sustain do get interesting treatment by this box. I hear some enhanced punch in the kick in several of the samples as well.
Old 27th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx ➡️
Here's a link to the samples of The Oven on a full mix. Maor made these and then I level-matched them. I'd be interested in your opinion.
Thanks for those Justin. It's funny, I felt like it was quite heavy-handed. But maybe my expectations were different to other people's.

I was a little underwhelmed to be honest. But my first thought on hearing the source material before listening to any processing was that it's not a great choice for a box like this. I tried my MA on it for comparison and was even more underwhelmed. So there's that.

What I liked was the way it kinda filled out the low-mids (and the lows to a lesser extent). The amount of clipping was a surprise and I wonder how much control there is over that? But it did retain/enhance the punch and I take Robb's point about transient enhancement; there's something very addictive about something that does that well.

The overall tone was interesting. It was slightly reminiscent of Chandler gear to me. I was left with the impression of this colouration sitting on top of the music rather than becoming part of it. I'm convinced that this box would perform better on different material.
Old 28th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk ➡️
Thats what the Bettermaker Harmonics section is. Very very good at it as well.
That does look interesting. Any chance you could post some examples?
Old 28th June 2020
I can print some audio through our Overstayer MAS, just let me know.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmarques ➡️
I can print some audio through our Overstayer MAS, just let me know.
That's a very nice offer. A direct comparison with The Oven would be possible if you were to take the unprocessed track from the link I posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kjX...ew?usp=sharing

...and run it through your MAS.

Thanks!
Quote:
That's a very nice offer. A direct comparison with The Oven would be possible if you were to take the unprocessed track from the link I posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kjX...ew?usp=sharing

...and run it through your MAS.

Thanks!
I’ll do it tomorrow !
Old 29th June 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
MAS

Quote:
Interested in Overstayer. But which one for mastering?

Overstayer Modular Channel

Overstayer M-A-S

Overstayer NT-02A

I'm mainly after controllable harmonic flavors rather than EQ and compression. Suggestions for other units are also welcome...

Anyone have experience to share?

Thanks!
Hey Justin. I've had the MAS (mastering version) for about 1.5 years now. Mainly using it at the end of my mastering chain as a soft limiter. Its a subtle box but it makes everything sound better. Love it. It can definitely eat transients when you push the input, but its also very useful as a harmonics inflator to add density to a track (it does a lot of what the sonnox inflator does, but better). I also like the routing features (you can toggle between two different inputs, and it has two separate outputs), it has a DI, and the shelves and the low cut filters come in very handy from time to time. Hit me up if you have any other questions.
Old 29th June 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
MAS

Quote:
Interested in Overstayer. But which one for mastering?

Overstayer Modular Channel

Overstayer M-A-S

Overstayer NT-02A

I'm mainly after controllable harmonic flavors rather than EQ and compression. Suggestions for other units are also welcome...

Anyone have experience to share?

Thanks!
Hey Justin. I've had the MAS (mastering version) for about 1.5 years now. Mainly using it at the end of my mastering chain as a soft limiter. Its a subtle box but it makes everything sound better. Love it. It can definitely eat transients when you push the input, but its also very useful as a harmonics inflator to add density to a track (it does a lot of what the sonnox inflator does, but better). I also like the routing features (you can toggle between two different inputs, and it has two separate outputs), it has a DI, and the shelves and the low cut filters come in very handy from time to time. Hit me up if you have any other questions.
Old 29th June 2020
Here's the file running through MAS: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17O...ScA7Q43ZynjeEz

I rendered most options with input and output at mid levels, I named those files 12oclock since it was where the input and output knobs where aiming at.

I also did two versions with low input (9oclock input, 3oclock output) - just the effect and with every extra function in - and two versions with high input (3oclock input, 9oclock output) - again just the effect and also with all extra buttons pressed. I did not use the high-pass in any of these files.

This was done with Pro Tools and Apogee Symphony MkII AD/DA. For some reason some of the renders didn't start at zero, no ideia why, don't use Pro Tools, sorry.
Old 29th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here's the file running through MAS: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17O...ScA7Q43ZynjeEz

I rendered most options with input and output at mid levels, I named those files 12oclock since it was where the input and output knobs where aiming at.

I also did two versions with low input (9oclock input, 3oclock output) - just the effect and with every extra function in - and two versions with high input (3oclock input, 9oclock output) - again just the effect and also with all extra buttons pressed. I did not use the high-pass in any of these files.

This was done with Pro Tools and Apogee Symphony MkII AD/DA. For some reason some of the renders didn't start at zero, no ideia why, don't use Pro Tools, sorry.
Thanks for doing that! I’m away from my studio for a few days but am eager to check out your files when I get back!
Old 29th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioKemestry ➡️
Hey P Way!

Thanks I just might take you up on that after I check out Miguel’s samples.
Old 30th June 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Thanks for doing that! I’m away from my studio for a few days but am eager to check out your files when I get back!
No problem, I hope it’s useful
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Had a quick listen to those Oven samples, some of them seemed kinda veiled/cloudy, some of them seemed to accentuate the kick punch in a nice way. I didn't think any of them sounded bad but none of them really knocked me out either.

I lined all the files up on separate tracks and forgot to solo one before pressing play. That was awesome.

Interested to hear these MAS samples as well, thanks Miguel.

In other news, really impressed with Spectre....had a record yesterday where a lot of the mixes were just all high mids. Really odd. The instrument balances were fine, the mixes were clearly well-considered, there was just no weight to anything at all. So I felt like I needed to change the mixes drastically without seeming like I did anything....if that makes any sense. Anyway, Spectre was the first thing I reached for and it filled the low end/low mids out in a really great way, and it was fast and easy to do. Psyched.
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs ➡️
I lined all the files up on separate tracks and forgot to solo one before pressing play. That was awesome.
lol that had to suck!
Old 4th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
No problem, I hope it’s useful
I checked out the MAS samples. It does some nice things for sure, and some of them sound similar to some of The Oven samples.

Thanks again!

I have to agree with Dom that the source material isn't the greatest for this test. The unprocessed track is already pretty saturated so it's hard to judge the processors...
Old 11th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Actually, rounding of transients isn't what I'm looking for, and after further reading I think Overstayer may be the wrong choice for me.

To be more clear, what I'm wishing for is a harmonics generator with frequency control. Like the VSM-2, except that when I demoed the VSM-3 plugin it didn't do anything that I liked. I have and use the HG-2 plugin but I'd like more frequency control.

I don't know that what I'm looking for exists in hardware. Might have to try some more plugins...
Try Acustica Crimson
Old 24th March 2021
Gear Addict

Verified Member
how do you guys think an HCL Varis would compare to the Whitestone P331? is that whitestone piece really worth twice the price? I can't tell for sure without more controlled loudness testing. I just want something that makes everything sound a tiny bit better, and while I know that doesn't truly exist, there are a few pieces--the whitestone and the unfairchild, for example--that come pretty close for me. it could be the price tags influencing me, so if anyone thinks a looptrotter sa2rate would cut the mustard, i'm all ears. both of those tube units have a softness to them, but not in a transient-killing way. and i'm not clear on where the newest varis fits in. any input is appreciated, and thanks for what you all have shared thus far here.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Churlish ➡️
how do you guys think an HCL Varis would compare to the Whitestone P331? is that whitestone piece really worth twice the price? I can't tell for sure without more controlled loudness testing. I just want something that makes everything sound a tiny bit better, and while I know that doesn't truly exist, there are a few pieces--the whitestone and the unfairchild, for example--that come pretty close for me. it could be the price tags influencing me, so if anyone thinks a looptrotter sa2rate would cut the mustard, i'm all ears. both of those tube units have a softness to them, but not in a transient-killing way. and i'm not clear on where the newest varis fits in. any input is appreciated, and thanks for what you all have shared thus far here.
No comparison. They are not alike. Get the Varis if you need that kind of compressor.

P331 is tor transparent valve sound. Great unit if you have all the workhorse machines covered. If you don't then you might want a Knif EQ etc instead.
📝 Reply