The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering Studio Stolen - Missing gear list
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Mastering Studio Stolen - Missing gear list

Dear friends and colleagues,

it's with great sadness that I have to inform you my studio has been burgled, here in Los Angeles, and cleaned out. The gear was still in boxes and hadn't yet been set up. Almost all of it is still set to 220v (I moved to the US recently, all 110v here), some of the pieces need to be modded to work here and won't as they are currently configured. I'm dealing with insurance now, but it's unclear whether my policy will cover it at all, but that's another discussion.

It means that our mission of providing quality audio for music, film and television, and bringing up and mentoring a new generation of female audio engineers will not be able to continue at the present time. At least not until we figure out if and what was covered and what options we have moving forward.

The studio represented over 15 years of hard work and investment, and we had some very unique pieces of gear that might prove difficult to sell, or are at least unusual enough to be easy to spot.

I would be very grateful if you could be on the lookout for the gear that was stolen, and let me know if you see anything so that I can pass the info along to the police.

Unfortunately, I didn't write down the serial number of every single item, and realize that it's nearly impossible to identify some items without it. I'll include them anyway as many of the items aren't very common, and have contacted all my vendors to secure as much info (including s/n) as possible.

I still need to sort through the mess the thieves left, and may end up adding more items to the list as I finish up the inventory for insurance and the police. This is what I know is missing at present.

Monitoring:
5 Magnepan 3.6QR in off-white with cherry trim - packed in 3 boxes (s/n: 713xx)
5 Hexateq custom Hypex reference monoblocks (black cubes about 20cm/8" to a side) (s/n: n/a) with my logo on the cases
2 Pelonis 4288 speakers with 19" rack mount amplifier (s/n: )
JL Audio Fathom f112 subwoofer (s/n: C00xxxxx)

2 pair of speaker stands

bel canto eVo 200.4 4 channel amplifier (s/n: )

Stereo set of Dorrough 40-C2 loudness meters (20dB headroom model) in 2U rack

I/O control:
Crookwood iMon custom 5.1 surround console in oak desktop frame
3 Crookwood matrix racks, one brain, two workers

Processing:
Weiss DS1-MK3 (s/n: 14xx)
SPL PQ EQ black faceplate (s/n: 16.1540.xxxxx)
Manley Vari-Mu, black with gold faceplate, red knobs and red VU lights (s/n: MSLC6 xxx), this should be pretty easy to spot, it's the only one like it. It was Fletcher's personal unit before I bought it.
API 2500 (s/n: )
Millenia NSEQ-2 with Fred Forssell mods (s/n: )
Crane Song STC-8/M (s/n: L682xxx)
Crane Song HEDD-192 (s/n: H683xxx)
Speck ASC (s/n: A00xxx)

Playback:
Graham Slee Reflex Era Gold (RIAA stage)
Bang & Olufsen Beocord 9000 cassette player

DBX 160x (s/n: 91150xxx)
Dolby 363 SR/A with 2 I/O cards (s/n: )

Recording:
Grace Spacebar for Auro-3D 9.1 surround in custom bag my mother made for it with the studio name embroidered across it. Thanks, mom.

Cabling. Mytek 8 channel DB25 - XLR snakes (purple cable jacket, 3 pieces) & Avid DB25 - XLR snakes (one blue, one

Computer:
MacPro tower 5,1 3.46GHz Xeon 12 core, 48GB RAM, AMD R9 Fury (s/n: CK91607xxxx)
MacPro has 3 RAID 1TB drives and 1TB SSD boot drive

Dell 23" monitor U2312HMt (s/n: )

MacMini (s/n: C07HX2JAxxxx)
MacMini (s/n: C07LV0PTxxxx)

Euphonix MC Mix
Avid Artist MC Mix
Avid Artist MC Control

More as I sort through and see what's left. I have photos of pretty much everything and can add those if needed.

EDIT - found a few boxes that hadn't been emptied, my mics, record player, CD/Universal player and Stellavox are safe. Still missing a bunch of stuff though, primarily outboard, speakers and amps.

I will try and run sessions out of colleagues' rooms in the meantime.

If anyone has any experience or advice in dealing with US insurance companies, please PM me.

Thor

Last edited by Thor; 13th December 2019 at 12:27 AM..
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh man, that's disgusting. Can you set up eBay to send you emails whenever examples of your equipment is listed, you might spot a few and you can use the Report function to inform eBay it is stolen.

Sellers also have to list serial numbers to be protected against getting scammed, it's a long shot but you might catch a few out this way.
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
wow... that's not good :( This sucks big time actually... I'm really feeling bad for you..
Did you already post this on the mastering groups on facebook? If not, please let us know, I can do that or someone else would be willing to do that for sure!
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's heartbreaking, I feel terrible to hear that.
I hope everything will work out well with your insurance company.

I'd hire a layer immediately to look closely into the fine print,
Insurance companies are always looking for "grey areas"
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Man, that’s terrible. Hope insurance will sort it all out...
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hey Thor, that sucks. So sorry to hear it. Any security cameras in the area? Sounds like someone was watching you or an inside job (delivery people, etc...)

If you have the studio insurance program everything will be covered. Not sure about any other ones but I’ve had several friends in your boat and they had that insurance and everything was fine.

Hope it works out. Welcome to the US. Best of luck with your business.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement.

No news yet, but I'm getting the info to the police and insurance and will see what happens in the coming weeks.

Thor
Old 10th December 2019
Deleted 2ef94c5
Oh man, I feel your pain. Very sorry this happened to you especially during a serious relocation. :(

I am about an hour south of LA and if you ever need a mastering room for a sudden deadline, and dont mind a little road trip, get in touch!

Mark
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hi Thor,

So very sorry to hear that: all good thoughts coming your way, and I hope the aftermath is as pain-free as possible for you.

With the degree of planning that likely lay behind this, we might see some of those items surfacing in the UK and mainland Europe. I'll be watching, as no doubt will others here.

EDIT: Apart from anything else, the Maggies are so unusual they'd presumably be hard to sell on - let's hope they, and other unsaleable items at least, turn up soon.

Last edited by lowland; 11th December 2019 at 01:17 PM..
Old 10th December 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
**** sorry man! Will look for your stuff.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Sorry to hear that man. I'm always on Ebay if I see any of the aforementioned gear listed, I'll be sure to email you on here. I hope they catch the culprits quickly!
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Heartbreaking - good luck buddy.
Old 11th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor ➡️
Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement.

No news yet, but I'm getting the info to the police and insurance and will see what happens in the coming weeks.

Thor
Thor! I’ll keep my eyes and ears peeled!

Sending you (((good vibes))) brother!

Come see us when you’re in Austin, I’m buying dinner & drinks!

Cheers, JT
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
In the mean time, in case you haven’t thought of it, you could consider going temporarily ITB with the Weiss etc, until you can get your analog gear replaced!

Best Regards, JT
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A sad start to your move to one of the most hospitable countries in the world.
I see some of that hospitality being demonstrated already in this thread.

Best of luck for the outcome.
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sorry to hear about this bro. It’s one of my scariest fears. I live just north of Burbank and will keep my eyes peeled for anything that looks to be from your list. I hope you at least get the insurance settled so that you can begin rebuilding. I know somethings can never be replaced. But hopefully you can get some settlement to get back rolling. Just Terrible.
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Oh, man; so sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed it turns up somewhere.
Old 25th December 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I am so sorry hard work and money. Gear is really ****ing expensive. If I see anything I will let you know.
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Put eBay and Reverb alerts on some of that gear (especially that distinctive Manley; just put a saved search for "Manley Vari Mu" and you'll get an email if it shows up) and then contact the police (not the website) first if one of your items pops up.

Second thought: what part of LA was it stolen from? LA is large (land wise) so if they don't go to flog on the web, it's going to be a local destination. Something stolen in Northridge has little chance of showing up in Santa Monica. But could show up in Ventura.
Old 12th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➡️
Put eBay and Reverb alerts on some of that gear (especially that distinctive Manley; just put a saved search for "Manley Vari Mu" and you'll get an email if it shows up) and then contact the police (not the website) first if one of your items pops up.

Second thought: what part of LA was it stolen from? LA is large (land wise) so if they don't go to flog on the web, it's going to be a local destination. Something stolen in Northridge has little chance of showing up in Santa Monica. But could show up in Ventura.
You must not be from LA... that stuff can show up anywhere

To the OP... if you have serial numbers it is imperative that you find out which burglary detective has been assigned to your case and advise him/her of this immediately so that it can be entered into the stolen property system... this will ping it if someone tries to pawn it (including taking into guitar center)... if you have any issues, call in and ask for the Burglary detective coordinator (the boss)

LAPD has to prioritize a case with serialized property
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
You must not be from LA... that stuff can show up anywhere
:eyeroll:

assumptions
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon ➡️
:eyeroll:

assumptions
Experience

Tweakers will drive anywhere to sell stuff. And, they know how to look up what stuff is worth, too... so, they’re happy to drive from Hollywood to Santa Barbara if the money is right

Last edited by bgood; 12th January 2020 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Add
Old 13th January 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Aside from eBay and Reverb alerts, don't forget you can set Craigslist alerts too, and you'll get notified almost instantly when matching items get posted. Good luck.
Old 27th January 2020
oh wow, condolences bro.......

that's literally one of my worst nightmares.....

best of luck recovering your gear/services
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Thanks to George Biner who found my Vari-Mu on eBay, I passed the info on to the police and have recovered a few of my things, but not all.

I've updated the list and am grateful for all the words of support and practical advice.

Apparently I can't edit the post anymore, so I'll update it here.

Recovered was:
All 5 Magnepan speakers (1 crossover is missing, as are 2 pairs of legs/stands)
1 Hexateq hypex monoblock (4 still missing)
Manley Vari-MU
SPL EQ
Dolby 363
DBX 150X
Crookwood rack units (control surface and all cabling still missing)
1 Pelonis 4882 (the other one is missing, as is the dedicated amplifier)
Bel Canto eVo 4

The rest of the items are still missing, API, Crookwood, Millenia, Weiss, Grace Spacebar in custom case, JL AUdio sub, control surfaces, Mac Pro & mini, Dorroughs, computer monitors, much more.

Thor
Old 15th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks to George Biner who found my Vari-Mu on eBay, I passed the info on to the police and have recovered a few of my things, but not all.

I've updated the list and am grateful for all the words of support and practical advice.

Recovered was:
Manley Vari-MU
SPL EQ
Dolby 363
DBX 150X
Bel Canto eVo 4

The rest of the items are still missing, API, Crookwood, Millenia, Weiss, Grace Spacebar in custom case, JL AUdio sub, control surfaces, Mac Pro & mini, Dorroughs, computer monitors, much more.

Thor
Thanks for the update, Thor. Glad you've recovered part of it, and I hope more appears eventually.
Old 25th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow! Happy to hear you found some of your stuff! What happened to the guy selling it? Did they search his place? I’m wondering if he’s the one who has the rest!
Quote:

Recovered was:
Manley Vari-MU
SPL EQ
Dolby 363
DBX 150X
Bel Canto eVo 4

Thor
Old 26th May 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Any news?
Old 21st July 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi Thor,

My heart goes out to you.
That's a lot of gear and a lot of time lost acquiring it.

I send my heart-felt wishes to lighten your deep sorrow in this unkind act.
My wish for you is hope and confidence in yourself. No matter what, you will prevail. Amen

Kayo
Old 2nd October 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Update #2

It's really a blessing to be part of a community like this.

A studio owner here in LA bought a stack of gear from a "storage unit clearance". Discovered that all the gear was set to 220v, which was odd, and also that it was largely very unusual, high end pieces, most of them custom modified. That was enough for him to become suspicious and start googling, where he found one of the posts with the list of stolen gear. I was reunited with more of my stolen property the very next day.

The additional recovered items are:
Millenia NSEQ-2 with Fred Forssell mods
Weiss DS1-Mk3
Dorrough meters
Crane Song STC-8/M
Crane Song HEDD-192
Speck ASC

Still missing are 1 Crookwood iMon worker rack, plus all cabling, plus the actual desktop control module, API 2500, all the Euphonix/Avid control surfaces, f112 sub, the custom Grace Immersive Spacebar in a bag my mom made for it, all the computers, literally kilometers of cables and snakes, the Pelonis 4228 and amplifier, B&O cassette player, RIAA stage and other items on the master list (first post).

There were also a lot of personal items stolen which have not been recovered, and which I haven't listed here as they aren't audio-related. As it's been almost a year since the break-in, my hopes for any further finds are dwindling.

Thanks again for all the help and all the support you've all provided, I truly appreciate it and am grateful.

Last edited by Thor; 4th October 2020 at 06:15 PM..
📝 Reply