The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Manultec MT-E.8012 Orca Bay Eq
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Manultec MT-E.8012 Orca Bay Eq

Hi guys, I would like to focus the attention on this new design and topology eq:

https://www.masteringworks.com/shop-...8012-orca-bay/

Passive solid state broad stroke curves, Im really interested to try it out.

Forever Gearslutz...
Old 29th May 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria ➡️
Hi guys, I would like to focus the attention on this new design and topology eq:

https://www.masteringworks.com/shop-...8012-orca-bay/

Passive solid state broad stroke curves, Im really interested to try it out.

Forever Gearslutz...
– Strictly handwired with VOVOX sound conductors (purum certified).

a little bit voodoo and snake oil for the studio...
Old 29th May 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Slightly tired after reading their sales speech.

And no, I don't think it's a new topology.

Jakob E.
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey Giuseppe,

The center frequencies are switchable between 80Hz or 120Hz for the lows, and 3K or 12K for the highs. The ATTEN and FOCUS are potentiometers while the LOW, HIGH, and GAIN are rotary switches. The gain is in 1/2" dB steps, while the LOW/HIGH level is, I think in 1dB steps, but their level is affected by the ATTEN/FOCUS knobs, so I can't say for sure. You'll notice the IN, LOWER, and HIGHER knobs at the bottom right. They feel quite heavy-duty to operate and really CLICK when used.

The ATTEN behaves like a shelf. FOCUS further increases gain at the center frequency and slowly transitions its character from a shelf to a bell shape. So, functionality that, in some areas, resembles a pultec.

Being new to this EQ, I'll have more to say after getting to know it better but my experience so far is that its minimalist style and layout make it a joy to work quickly on. So far, I've only been EQ'ing classical voice & piano recordings with the Orca, and have loved it. I'm interested to try this box on string orchestra recordings next. The Orca's FOCUS knob, which should add a subtle bell around 3K, will tell me a lot.

I definitely encourage you to audition one and would love to know what some other user experiences are.
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Looks pretty and everything but this caught my eye;

- Subbass meter “DUBBY’s Lämple” indicating low frequency content

How's that work then? Is it one of those lamps on the front panel? Guessing it changes intensity according to deep bass content. I'd like one of those...
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
got mine this week... here you can get a quick listen to this orca eq on the 2bus.

Perhaps I can make some more clips, but its always better to test gear in your own environment...

I absolutely love this eq. the highs are so smooth and natural and the bottom gets really powerful. I always considered an EQ solely for mixbus duties. In the meantime I used two retro powerstrips (that contain the Retro 2a3 EQ) and it works fine, but this is a step up. Directly compared, the 2a3 sounds eq´ed, while the orca presents you the music euphonic but in a more natural way. After I demoed the orca bay I immediately ordered one. Lives on the 2bus and will make me very happy

Also love the looks of it. A minimalistic and beautiful design.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have it since 3 month and I love it soooo much, it is just there, always in, as first piece in the Mastering chain
Attached Thumbnails
Manultec MT-E.8012 Orca Bay Eq-.jpg  
Old 9th August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf ➡️
Slightly tired after reading their sales speech.

And no, I don't think it's a new topology.

Jakob E.
Hey Jakob, you are right, no new topology, my bad.
But its sound is marvellous
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Looks cool. Sounds good from the demo vid. I wonder how it compares to Hendy MA.
Old 12th August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 ➡️
Looks cool. Sounds good from the demo vid. I wonder how it compares to Hendy MA.
Never heard the MA, so I cannot say. Orca its a solid state eq, MA valve one + more freqs to play with, so they must sound pretty different.
Orca has amazing lows, big and firm, highs are magic, never knew I could boost that much, I mean kind of 6/8/10 db and get befenit only from that. Im talking about Mastering only here... so have the clue about the quality
best
Giu
Old 12th August 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria ➡️
Never heard the MA, so I cannot say. Orca its a solid state eq, MA valve one + more freqs to play with, so they must sound pretty different.
Orca has amazing lows, big and firm, highs are magic, never knew I could boost that much, I mean kind of 6/8/10 db and get befenit only from that. Im talking about Mastering only here... so have the clue about the quality
best
Giu
Yeah it’s a cool looking unit for sure and sounds like it provides great sonic benefits. Man, 4800 duckets for high and low boost/cut is a tall order although I’d love to check one out.
Old 13th August 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 ➡️
Yeah it’s a cool looking unit for sure and sounds like it provides great sonic benefits. Man, 4800 duckets for high and low boost/cut is a tall order although I’d love to check one out.
If you're not in the EU, you won't have to pay VAT, so more like $3,500.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson ➡️
If you're not in the EU, you won't have to pay VAT, so more like $3,500.
Ah-Ha!! I’m definitely intrigued!!
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes it is expensive, like every top quality tools
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
can someone show the insides of the unit?
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by housegezeichnet ➡️
can someone show the insides of the unit?
Here’s the view from under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Manultec MT-E.8012 Orca Bay Eq-0a12c97f-9818-47ec-88e3-c9244d2058b5.jpg   Manultec MT-E.8012 Orca Bay Eq-f51f6719-cee8-4266-85d5-a9de0420a4fa.jpg  
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson ➡️
Here’s the view from under the hood.
Oho...this price range with low cost China stepped pot...
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by protools ➡️
Wow, thats a bummer...
But they arent alone with this unfortunately.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes I thought the same !!
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Well if you use vovox purum for all wires you have to cut corners....although i would have preferred elma switches and simple copper wiring instead
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
no, english:

https://www.blore-ed.com/rotary-switches
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum ➡️
Sorry, but this on my picture are not the Blore! China things! Give a better look..
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry, but this on my picture are not the Blore! China things! Give a better look..
maybe there are no blores in this picture, which was taken some time ago, but the international distributor says that blores are installed nowadays.

stefan heger also said that they have continuously improved the product.
i must say that i am a fan of elma and would rather have elmas than this purium nonsense, but if they are now blore, i can live with it just fine.
the knobs don't feel like china junk either.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum ➡️
maybe there are no blores in this picture, which was taken some time ago, but the international distributor says that blores are installed nowadays.

stefan heger also said that they have continuously improved the product.
i must say that i am a fan of elma and would rather have elmas than this purium nonsense, but if they are now blore, i can live with it just fine.
the knobs don't feel like china junk either.
Fine to know...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
..just a side note on this: Although being Chinese (Taiwanese) of origin, those relatively inexpensive multistep rotary switches are far from deserving the label "junk"

More than a decade ago we did a series of (mechanical, servoed) tests on these and some other types. Running at 80-100mA resistive load (bulb) - ca. one rotation per 10 seconds, back and forth - after a couple of days (and up to a week) 24/7 we did not see any contact over the rated 25 mOhm. This being well beyond the 10000 operations range (!).

Some of them turned out with a clearly more "loose feel" after the workout - which might be due to us not using proper flexible couplings from servo to switch shaft, thus loading unnecessarily hard radially. A later retest on a single switch, and proper coupling, did not show this.

There may off course be more or less fortunate companies now manufacturing this switch - so YMMW

/Jakob E.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Verified Member
Indeed Jakob, I was about to say the same the other day when I saw the "junk" word beeing used.
A lot of things are now manufactured in China and in that regard many "standard" of building process and quality can be found.
I have for exemple some custom made Latching illuminated switches that I'm very happy with. They're all strong and very well build, with quality material like true aluminum instead of cheaper alternative like soft brass or the likes. But of course this kind of standard comes at a higher price, even if you buy several pieces.
So in that sense "Made in China" definitely doesn't mean "bad products" all the time.
📝 Reply