The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for a Soundblade HD replacement
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Surbitone's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb ➡️
soundBlade, Pro Tools, Sonoris workflow is just so easy and second nature to me.
If you've managed to last this long without losing your mind, why change now?


Side-note...I took a punt on Hofa at the beginning of the year, and whilst I really liked 90% of it, there was a few workflow-killers (eg routing, fx-bypassing, cpur-optimisation), some annoying GUI bugs and, at least on the MBP I was running it on, stability issues and weird crashes. They kindly refunded me, but I'll keep an eye on it going forward
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone ➡️
If you've managed to last this long without losing your mind, why change now?
you hit the nail squarely on the head!

Although i’ve been doing test runs and experimenting with newer DAW apps,

I still keep going back to my ancient Mac Pro Tower with soundBlade HD,

because it works, it’s predictable, and it sounds great!

and i have two similar era Mac Pro Towers waiting in the warehouse,

should the need arise.

Cheers, JT
Old 29th March 2021
  #63
Here for the gear
 
ummm_r's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Hi Jerry, not sure if you're still looking at a switch - been a longtime lurker here and your work has always been wonderful to learn from, so hoping to finally share something of my own switch in return in case it's helpful to you. Note that I work completely ITB at the moment, so some things may not totally be applicable to your workflow, and I have not tested loopback/recording in Wavelab.

I made the switch to Wavelab 10 at the end of last year, after almost 7 years of using soundBlade HD in my mastering workflow in some form. For a long time, I only used SB, then for a period of time was doing all my processing in Reaper and assembly/delivery in SB, then had a brief stint assembling using HOFA. (In parallel, I do post-production work for video content in PT HD) Overall, each step away from SB taught me more about the possibilities of workflows that could save me time, and allow me to focus more on working on music. Some (or, I imagine, most) of the improvements are available in each of the DAWs mentioned as well as others in this space, but Wavelab manages to integrate them in one whole DAW. Almost all of these have been mentioned regularly in Justin P's workflow posts, along with many others' posts about Wavelab and Reaper flows.

Some of the Wavelab workflows I've been enjoying include:
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts - I have a mix of SB and PT shortcuts programmed in, it's amazing how much time and brain power this saves. Do-able in REAPER as well.
- Automatically stagger imported audio files on alternating tracks
- "Meta-Normalizer" to normalize all audio clips based on Short-Term Loudness or Top of Loudness Range (been using this one more often lately) to hit a chain at similar levels. There is a REAPER script for this as well, but having it built-in with your presets is pretty great
- More flexible marker styles than just CD Markers and SRPs, plus the ability to orient/lock them to an audio clip as you move the audio clip around
- Being able to move an audio clip around without crashing lol
- Easily toggle-able ripple editing mode
- Being able to use most modern plugins
- Plugin/CPU usage bar
- Plugin preferences to show "Favorites" and have certain plugins only available for "Playback Processing" so they never end up in the render path, even by accident (i.e. meters), deactivate certain plugins for use (i.e. hide post-related plugins to avoid clutter)
- Plugin chain presets, and the ability to have plugins be a part of a Montage Template (great for keeping a limiter and dither on the output bus)
- Clips pane allows for the clip/section gain workflows that are so useful in soundBlade (and adds pre- and post- gain functionality), though you have to manage "Clip FX" per clip, or use Track FX to work across all the clips rather than having desk plugins that can stretch across multiple clips
- Easily replace an audio file with a new mix by just right-click>replace audio file, no more editing EDL text files
- Can do other misc tasks while an offline render runs
- Being able to have multiple montages open in different tabs, and managed as part of a "project" file
- CD Text editor can automatically pick up track names from CD Markers, which can be managed in CD pane
- Can use CD Text as variables for metadata or file names
- Metadata editor and presets are great
- Render presets are super useful for outputting wavs, mp3s, etc at the same time
- Variable-based naming to automatically name output files
- No anxiety about a possible "soundBlade being soundBlade" dropout or glitch in output files
- Custom montage duplicates for delivery at different sample rates
- "CD Track Grouping" allows you to output a whole file-per-side and PQ/Other logs for Vinyl/Tape much more quickly and easily
- PQ and other formatted reports are much more editable, with custom text, logo, presets (a common theme here), file output types, etc
- Always-on metering panes, if you like. The metering is quite incredible and flexible, and not having to pull up plugins to check LUFS or phase is great.
- (Multiple) "Reference" tracks, which can have their own dedicated hardware outputs, trims, etc for easy AB comparisons to more than one source (i.e. mix, someone's L2-'ed reference mix, a reference track, previous master, etc). These never end up in the Render path.
- "External Editor" workflow for noise reduction and other tasks, where you can just use a shortcut or click to send a clip or clip-duplicate to an external editor, and WL picks up the changes to the file when you save the file in that editor. Great for RX workflows (though lately I find myself duplicating an audio file and opening it in RX so I can keep more meaningful file names)
- Being on a computer where browsers/Dropbox/other applications etc function normally!! (I was on 10.9 previously)

Things about SB that I miss:
- Edit Fade Module
- Desk plugins across multiple clips for easier clip/section gain workflows
- Source-Destination editing initially, though honestly not really anymore
- Render multiple sample rates from one EDL
- De-crackle algorithms

Other SB replacements:
- RX's improved De-Click and the often more-transparent Mouth De-Click have replaced Manual De-Click for me
- HOFA DDP Player Maker using the secure/encrypted image output has replaced SecurePlayer - you get a PC-compatible app as well, and it zips everything for you. Know some people prefer the Sonoris version.

Overall, it has saved me quite a lot of time in the project prep and delivery stages, and feels like it really allows for many of the advantages that 99% of other modern DAWs allow for other tasks, but suited to mastering. The learning curve is real, but well worth it for the amount of time it saves on everyday tasks.

Hope that's helpful!
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ummm_r ➡️
Hi Jerry, not sure if you're still looking at a switch - been a longtime lurker here and your work has always been wonderful to learn from, so hoping to finally share something of my own switch in return in case it's helpful to you. Note that I work completely ITB at the moment, so some things may not totally be applicable to your workflow, and I have not tested loopback/recording in Wavelab.

I made the switch to Wavelab 10 at the end of last year, after almost 7 years of using soundBlade HD in my mastering workflow in some form. For a long time, I only used SB, then for a period of time was doing all my processing in Reaper and assembly/delivery in SB, then had a brief stint assembling using HOFA. (In parallel, I do post-production work for video content in PT HD) Overall, each step away from SB taught me more about the possibilities of workflows that could save me time, and allow me to focus more on working on music. Some (or, I imagine, most) of the improvements are available in each of the DAWs mentioned as well as others in this space, but Wavelab manages to integrate them in one whole DAW. Almost all of these have been mentioned regularly in Justin P's workflow posts, along with many others' posts about Wavelab and Reaper flows.

Some of the Wavelab workflows I've been enjoying include:
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts - I have a mix of SB and PT shortcuts programmed in, it's amazing how much time and brain power this saves. Do-able in REAPER as well.
- Automatically stagger imported audio files on alternating tracks
- "Meta-Normalizer" to normalize all audio clips based on Short-Term Loudness or Top of Loudness Range (been using this one more often lately) to hit a chain at similar levels. There is a REAPER script for this as well, but having it built-in with your presets is pretty great
- More flexible marker styles than just CD Markers and SRPs, plus the ability to orient/lock them to an audio clip as you move the audio clip around
- Being able to move an audio clip around without crashing lol
- Easily toggle-able ripple editing mode
- Being able to use most modern plugins
- Plugin/CPU usage bar
- Plugin preferences to show "Favorites" and have certain plugins only available for "Playback Processing" so they never end up in the render path, even by accident (i.e. meters), deactivate certain plugins for use (i.e. hide post-related plugins to avoid clutter)
- Plugin chain presets, and the ability to have plugins be a part of a Montage Template (great for keeping a limiter and dither on the output bus)
- Clips pane allows for the clip/section gain workflows that are so useful in soundBlade (and adds pre- and post- gain functionality), though you have to manage "Clip FX" per clip, or use Track FX to work across all the clips rather than having desk plugins that can stretch across multiple clips
- Easily replace an audio file with a new mix by just right-click>replace audio file, no more editing EDL text files
- Can do other misc tasks while an offline render runs
- Being able to have multiple montages open in different tabs, and managed as part of a "project" file
- CD Text editor can automatically pick up track names from CD Markers, which can be managed in CD pane
- Can use CD Text as variables for metadata or file names
- Metadata editor and presets are great
- Render presets are super useful for outputting wavs, mp3s, etc at the same time
- Variable-based naming to automatically name output files
- No anxiety about a possible "soundBlade being soundBlade" dropout or glitch in output files
- Custom montage duplicates for delivery at different sample rates
- "CD Track Grouping" allows you to output a whole file-per-side and PQ/Other logs for Vinyl/Tape much more quickly and easily
- PQ and other formatted reports are much more editable, with custom text, logo, presets (a common theme here), file output types, etc
- Always-on metering panes, if you like. The metering is quite incredible and flexible, and not having to pull up plugins to check LUFS or phase is great.
- (Multiple) "Reference" tracks, which can have their own dedicated hardware outputs, trims, etc for easy AB comparisons to more than one source (i.e. mix, someone's L2-'ed reference mix, a reference track, previous master, etc). These never end up in the Render path.
- "External Editor" workflow for noise reduction and other tasks, where you can just use a shortcut or click to send a clip or clip-duplicate to an external editor, and WL picks up the changes to the file when you save the file in that editor. Great for RX workflows (though lately I find myself duplicating an audio file and opening it in RX so I can keep more meaningful file names)
- Being on a computer where browsers/Dropbox/other applications etc function normally!! (I was on 10.9 previously)

Things about SB that I miss:
- Edit Fade Module
- Desk plugins across multiple clips for easier clip/section gain workflows
- Source-Destination editing initially, though honestly not really anymore
- Render multiple sample rates from one EDL
- De-crackle algorithms

Other SB replacements:
- RX's improved De-Click and the often more-transparent Mouth De-Click have replaced Manual De-Click for me
- HOFA DDP Player Maker using the secure/encrypted image output has replaced SecurePlayer - you get a PC-compatible app as well, and it zips everything for you. Know some people prefer the Sonoris version.

Overall, it has saved me quite a lot of time in the project prep and delivery stages, and feels like it really allows for many of the advantages that 99% of other modern DAWs allow for other tasks, but suited to mastering. The learning curve is real, but well worth it for the amount of time it saves on everyday tasks.

Hope that's helpful!
Hey Thanks for the kind words!

I’ll read your detailed post later...

I’m having an ultra-busy month, using soundBlade HD still everyday

Making the transition to another DAW will take time to phase in,

old dog... new tricks

as the old software axiom sez:

if it works, it’s obsolete!

Muchas Gracias, JT
Old 31st March 2021
  #65
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 15 years
It’s being strongly recommended that I switch to WaveLab 9.5. or 10.

But I’m not real interested in going beyond OSX High Sierra.

Can you run WL 10 on High Sierra?

Cheers, JT

p.s. and i dearly love Sonic Manual DeClick in NoNoise, sooo easy to use.
Rx requires more effort!
Old 31st March 2021
  #66
Here for the gear
 
ummm_r's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Busy is a good problem to have!

Had to upgrade to Mojave here to install Wavelab 10, it looks like 9.5 is compatible with High Sierra. Hoping to hold on to this OS for as along as possible....

Wavelab has some restoration features built-in to the audio/spectrum editor, but I honestly have not used them, maybe others will chime in about it
Old 2nd April 2021 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ummm_r ➡️
Busy is a good problem to have!

Had to upgrade to Mojave here to install Wavelab 10, it looks like 9.5 is compatible with High Sierra. Hoping to hold on to this OS for as along as possible....

Wavelab has some restoration features built-in to the audio/spectrum editor, but I honestly have not used them, maybe others will chime in about it
Aha! thanks for the update.

I guess i could buy yet another Mac Mini to run WL10 on Mojave.

The whole software industry constantly churning users to upgrade to even bigger bloatware... sheesh!

Cheers, JT
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #68
MrG
Gear Maniac
 
MrG's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hey All,

I'll chime in a bit here - WL10 user for mastering work.

The workflow for RX is pretty quick and simple for me @ jerry :

-Select offending audio in montage
-Click External Editor
-Open Module (Mouth De-Click, Decrackler, etc. - note this will stay open and should save settings between quitting)
-Click Render on RX module
-CMND/CTRL + S
-CMND/CTRL + W (close audio window within RX, could skip this step if you'll revise processing)
-Perform crossfades on processed audio in WL10

The one workflow I'm unclear on is best practice to create "playlists" or multiple versions of the master within the Montage. Any pro tips here?


All best,
MG
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 50 views: 18396
Avatar for JNS
JNS 27th October 2012
replies: 36 views: 5935
Avatar for VenVile
VenVile 18th February 2018
replies: 1595 views: 159846
Avatar for louderjamz
louderjamz 2 weeks ago
replies: 57 views: 4639
Avatar for Jerry Tubb
Jerry Tubb 22nd January 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump