The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RMS755 "Super Stereo" compressor
Old 11th May 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
RMS755 "Super Stereo" compressor

Anyone tried using the unassuming looking RMS755 Super Stereo compressor from Roll Music Systems for mastering?
Thoughts?
Pros/cons?
Colour/transparency?
Old 11th May 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
If I'm not mistaken, it's simply a SSL4000E/G clone -
Old 11th May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master ➑️
It is not. It just looks like an SSL clone but has nothing to do with the SSL circuit.
It is VCA based but it is an original design.

chrissugar
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master ➑️
It's more 'inspired by' than cloned - with a few tricks add in.

Justin is a friend of mine. I demoed the SSC last year. It's a nice compressor but I felt it would be better suited for tracking / mixing given the control parameters. It was a bit too touchy, IMO. A small twist of the knob was a bit too much sometimes.

He's willing to modify the circuit to make it more mastering friendly if there's enough call for it. Definitely demo it if you can.

Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's got nice character to it!

It's definitely got some "sounds like a record" vibe to it.

I wouldn't work without mine ever again.

A real nice buss compressor.

Jason
Old 12th May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
(@ previous)

My bad. That's why I throw that "if I'm not mistaken" clause in there.
Old 12th May 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I have one, I use it everyday. It's a great piece, really good for bass heavy mixes. Btw I have alot of great compressors and this is the one I use for the mix buss. Try it.
Old 17th May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had the very first RMS 755 made for me. I told Justin I want something with the punch and grab of an SSL, but sweeter sounding and more extended on the top and bottom end, with a hi pass filter for more transparent use. He definitely came through.

I use it on two buss mix, overheads, and mastering.

here are two masters that use it:

http://www.yellowmatterrecords.com/s...osiaNewMix.wav

http://www.yellowmatterrecords.com/s...heMasterMS.wav

HIGHLY recommend this comp
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the replies so far, everyone.
Cheers.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Steven,
On those examples did you use this compressor only during mastering?
Or also on overheads (in tracking?) and in mixing (the 2-buss)?

Last edited by Adam Dempsey; 17th May 2007 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: typo
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang ➑️
I had the very first RMS 755 made for me.

[snip]

here are two masters that use it:
Nice mixes, Bang. Great depth and width.

That said, and my comments in no way reflect on your mix, I hear the same characteristics that I wasn't crazy about when I demo'd it last summer. IMO it tends to pull the whole mix down when the song gets big more than other mastering compressors I use (Requisite L2M, API 2500, Chandler LTD-2). It's a bit heavy handed for my taste. That's the reason I passed on it as a mastering compressor.

Otherwise I think Justin has built a great sounding (and looking) unit and would highly recommend it for tracking and mixing. I'm sure it would be possible to optimize the control range and possibly tweak the sidechain high pass circuit to make it more suited for mastering. It's just very difficult to make one box that works well in both applications.

Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering
Old 18th May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
On the samples above I used one RMS on overheads and another on 2buss at 4:1.

For mastering, I put it on very slow attack, 1.5:1, and I barely move the needle, gives it that little bit of extra glue. I agree that if a mix needs more then just that little bit, you can't go as heavy with the RMS because it does have that grab.

I'm buying the Cranesong compressor this week though, very psyched about it. Between that and the RMS I'll have some nice flavors.
Old 19th May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
12 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang ➑️
On the samples above I used one RMS on overheads and another on 2buss at 4:1.

For mastering, I put it on very slow attack, 1.5:1, and I barely move the needle, gives it that little bit of extra glue. I agree that if a mix needs more then just that little bit, you can't go as heavy with the RMS because it does have that grab.

I'm buying the Cranesong compressor this week though, very psyched about it. Between that and the RMS I'll have some nice flavors.
Hey those mixes sound like they've got Steven Slate drum samples on them... Jokes aside nice job btw

Matt
Old 20th May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There just might be some of those Steven Slate samps mixed in on those tunes. I heard they are pretty useful!
Old 29th May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson ➑️
It's a bit heavy handed for my taste. That's the reason I passed on it as a mastering compressor.

I think Justin has built a great sounding (and looking) unit and would highly recommend it for tracking and mixing. I'm sure it would be possible to optimize the control range and possibly tweak the sidechain high pass circuit to make it more suited for mastering. It's just very difficult to make one box that works well in both applications.

Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering
Agreed. And I don't think there's one in the country here yet to try out, but on instinct I'd perhaps go for alternate ratios, maybe: 1.2:1, 1.5:1, 2:1 and 2.5:1. Especially when you've already got other compression options capable of a sense of 'grab'. I'm sure if this also had a degree of direct signal output (or a blend control) it could be the bee's knees for subtle mastering compression (apols if that expression is lost on some - bees knees or subtle mastering compression)....
Old 31st May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you can suggest a good dealer down there, I'd be happy to contact them and see if they'd be willing to get a unit in for evaluation. We're working on our global dealer network, but right now the closest representative to you is Big Knob, in Jakarta.
Old 1st June 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Just PM'd you. Cheers.
Old 6th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just found this old thread in the backlog and thought I should mention that we do have representation Down There now. Audio Chocolate in Australia, and Oceania in New Zealand. And yes, we're still happy to do custom modifications of the control range for mastering applications. Narrowing the range of the threshold and gain pots for better recall ability is easy. Lowering the ratios isn't a big deal either.
Old 10th June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
a friend of mine has it and he recommends this compressor- i havnt used it it- but i will be happy to check it out if there is a more light version of it that will do the job but not over do it

do you know if there is a mastering version in the making?

is it detented?
Old 10th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maor Appelbaum ➑️
a friend of mine has it and he recommends this compressor- i havnt used it it- but i will be happy to check it out if there is a more light version of it that will do the job but not over do it

do you know if there is a mastering version in the making?

is it detented?
We don't plan on marketing a "mastering version" but we are willing to make customized modifications to the existing unit for those who need recallability for mastering applications. This would take the form of either detented pots or switches for the threshold and gain controls, or else a significantly narrowed range of operation of these controls in order to enhance their resolution to the extent that recallability is trivial. (if your gain control ranges from 0 to +10dB, you can recall it much more precisely than if it ranges from -14 to +20dB). The narrowing of the range is my recommendation, and can be done without any additional cost. The detented controls might incur some additional cost.

As for "a more light version of it that will do the job but not over do it", that's essentially what the Super Stereo already is. By using the 1.5:1 ratio and keeping the threshold high, you can apply very light compression. And even when you compress more than that, the thing remains remarkably transparent (when you want it to). Transparency can be enhanced by using a slow attack time, and by using the sidechain hi-pass filter and the Program Dependent Release features.

If you needed further modification, we could do a custom unit with lower ratio choices (in place of the existing choices). This would cost a little more, primarily for the time it takes to work out component values for those lower ratios, and partly for the cost of making a customized face plate with different ratio numbers on it.

Anything beyond that would probably involve circuitboard revisions and would cost significantly more.
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Head

This is an EXCELLENT compressor for mastering and mix buss!!!
πŸ“ Reply