The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SEO for Mastering Studio Website?
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
SEO for Mastering Studio Website?

Has anyone here tried search engine optimization for their mastering studio website?

Worth it?

recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hi Justin,
Unfortunately SEO isn't a magic pill that you can give your website, despite what some agencies will try to sell you. All sites 'should' employ seo practices unless your word of mouth for your business is so good you don't need any more new clients. A web site should be part of a business's marketing plan, but how much time and money do you want to spend on this bit of marketing with no guarantees? You can always go for paid ads with google and facebook but make sure your site is designed in a way that is going to convert your visitors, encourage them to buy your service in other words.

I do freelance web design work myself and teach computer science at university. I also like music. You will see one of my sites ranking #1 if you perform a google search: school assembly orlando or try: school assembly tampa
School Assembly in Tampa Orlando Florida | Reactory Factory

Note SEO isn't a bit of code you can add to your site, it is something that is dynamic and is also impacted by external forces.
The whole site should be designed with good seo practices from the ground up in my opinion.

If you are referring to the site in your signature, I noticed it doesn't have any analytics set up. Before you can start trying to improve seo, you need to measure your web sites's performance and then determine what is the actual problem you are trying to solve. Hit me up if you have any questions.
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks Chris, for the thoughtful reply.

Mulling...
Old 23rd May 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hey Justin, Did you ever work on your site seo? Nice looking hardware on your site.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks!

Funny you should ask. SEO is what I've been working on for the last few weeks since I launched my newly redone website. I was just tweaking my keywords 5 minutes ago! I'm doing it all myself using info I found on Squarespace SEO Checklist, Google Search Console and Google My Business. It's really not very difficult, just time consuming.

It's satisfying to see my placement in search results actually changing, and impressions on Google ramping up!
Old 23rd May 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Mastering engineer/seo designer/marketing manager. The hats business owners have to wear these days. Keep in mind it might take weeks or months to see changes when you make them. It can be helpful to notify the searching engines manually as well after you make a change. I'm not sure if Square does that for you automatically. Good luck.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Add accountant, receptionist, scheduler and janitor to the list!

Squarespace doesn't automatically notify Google but I found a place to request indexing in Google Search Console and it happens almost immediately. I can see my new keywords in Google search results within a half hour!
Old 12th October 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Be careful with buying 'backlinks' from a provider. You may end up with a penalty from search engines for phony or low quality backlinks. Search engines want back links with legitimate cause for the backlink. Are they on a relevant site? Gearslutz provides a good backlink if you put it in your forum signature. Also, don't invent keywords, research them. What do people search for in context to your products and services. Sometimes just switching a keyword that is semantically the same as another can make a large difference.
Old 13th October 2020
Tokyo Dawn Labs

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
SEO indexing is a scam.

Google searches the web by checking how many sources link to your site. There is no extra action required, it's their job to map the web, and they get paid really well for it. SEO is the "art" of having your site comply with the latest w3c and browser standards - the latest web tech hypes google embraces, and offering well formatted, relevant content. If your content/services are unique and in demand, google will have noticed already. If not, it will refuse to cooperate.

There's no cheat here, no free lunch advertising. What google does is to measure the objective demand for your offer. To walk up the google ranking, one has to convince real people first, once google spots any relevant concentration in demand it reacts within seconds(!).

You can try buying ads on google to convince more "real people" (given your audience doesn't use adblockers ), but google is just measuring the demand. From a practical point of view, I'd suggest offering more education stuff, orchestrate and moderate discussion/forums on the web, run a youtube channel. Stuff like that.

Be realistic with your objectives, too: No customer in this scene worth his salt would ever come to the idea of typing "mastering" into google. In fact, I suspect that any forced advertising in this scene finds exactly the customers you don't want to mess with! These are probably better left to automated services and fiverr

My intuitive take on this would be that SEO, and in particular the more extreme attempts to cheat google, are largely ineffective in this scene. What counts is your credits and the financial healthiness of your network. One achieves this by starting working for free, for great people, delivering convincing results.

Last edited by FabienTDR; 13th October 2020 at 10:11 PM..
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR ➑️
SEO indexing is a scam.

... the more extreme attempts to cheat google, are largely ineffective in this scene. ..
To expand on Fabian's note, I agree cutting corners and looking for black hat tricks in this market space would be challenging. SEO ranking is relative. A developer has to consider not only the site they are managing, but also the effectiveness of their competition. If one is in a niche market with little competition or poorly designed competitor sites, it is easier to grow ranking.

The first thing I do is look at competition in the market if planning a site or campaign. I recommend growing value of the site organically with real value.

I had a client that wanted to try ads. Ads quickly got their phone ringing with very little effort but the client complained that most of the new calls were price shoppers which differed greatly from his typical clients. He stopped doing ads but he typically ranks on page 1 of google now regardless.
Old 20th October 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Method #1 : The way most of the ME's built their business was through years of doing good (or better) work, making clients happy, getting recommended etc etc.

Some might add networking to that list, but personally i never did any networking, actually the opposite, i prefer to keep a little under the radar.

But i'd say it took about 6 years after i started to have a really good client base, and i built it from there.

Method #2 : I wouldn't rule out SEO and other active marketing, but you'll either need to be an expert in that side of things or hire someone else who is ($$$?). When i was less busy i tried that stuff a couple of times and i think it was a complete waste of time and didn't bring in any work. You'd be much better off, for example, having a paid Wetransfer page, because that's a big advertisement every time someone downloads a track you mastered.

And at the end of the day, you'll still need to transition over to method #1 unless you intend to continously bring in new work via marketing.

Additionally, perhaps in a way it needs to be method #1 , because if you bypass that step and jump straight to "busy", do you have the skills to make the clients happy? Maybe you have a limited addressable market (locally at least) so do you really want to run before you can walk?!

Just a few random thoughts!

Last edited by I.R.Baboon; 20th October 2020 at 06:56 PM..
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
while having a website (& email) is pretty much required these days...

you do get a really mixed bag of responses, many just looking for the cheapest & quickest .

but, occasionally a really good client will filter through.

word of mouth, sweat equity, & facebook work best for me.

cheers, jt
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb ➑️
while having a website (& email) is pretty much required these days...

you do get a really mixed bag of responses, many just looking for the cheapest & quickest .

but, occasionally a really good client will filter through.

word of mouth, sweat equity, & facebook work best for me.

cheers, jt
I actually get a lot of good new clients through my website, especially since I redesigned it last year.

Facebook and Instagram do almost nothing for me.

My Yelp and Google reviews generate a trickle.

My DYI efforts at SEO helped a little in upping my placement in search results. Hard to know if it made any difference in traffic to my site.

Of course word of mouth and a body of work are still by far the biggest drivers.

Overall it seems that trying to promote is mostly a waste of time. 'Just gotta let people come to you naturally. I got so busy after Covid hit that I forgot all about promoting and I had to stop offering free samples. 'Had nothing to do with SEO or advertising. Outside forces bigger than me at play.
Old 24th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx ➑️
I actually get a lot of good new clients through my website, especially since I redesigned it last year.

Facebook and Instagram do almost nothing for me.

My Yelp and Google reviews generate a trickle.

My DYI efforts at SEO helped a little in upping my placement in search results. Hard to know if it made any difference in traffic to my site.

Of course word of mouth and a body of work are still by far the biggest drivers.

Overall it seems that trying to promote is mostly a waste of time. 'Just gotta let people come to you naturally. I got so busy after Covid hit that I forgot all about promoting and I had to stop offering free samples. 'Had nothing to do with SEO or advertising. Outside forces bigger than me at play.
Yeah it was weird with the Covid hit in mid march, april was a sinkhole,
but then BOOM! it was like a tidal wave hit,
people staying home in quarantine doing recordings, that need mastersizing!
Overall 2020 has been a banner year, despite the uber bizarro world scenarios.
we do tire of the endless spammy google robo-calls trying to upsell us!
cheers, jt
Old 25th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck ➑️
Be careful with buying 'backlinks' from a provider. You may end up with a penalty from search engines for phony or low quality backlinks. Search engines want back links with legitimate cause for the backlink. Are they on a relevant site? Gearslutz provides a good backlink if you put it in your forum signature. Also, don't invent keywords, research them. What do people search for in context to your products and services. Sometimes just switching a keyword that is semantically the same as another can make a large difference.
I absolutely agree with you that you need to be as careful as possible when buying backlinks from a provider. For poor-quality and poorly selected, fake backlinks, Google can forever leave you on the sidelines in search queries. This is why I always advise my clients to start by monitoring backlinks. In addition to the recommendations of the companies and tools that you mentioned, I would like to recommend, with your permission, the monitoring tool from SE Ranking - https://seranking.com/backlinks-monitoring.html. Here you can do manual or import backlinks, filter them using a convenient configuration, and most importantly, it seems to me - assign a certain value to your links and estimate the total cost of the link building campaign. You can also track the vitality of links. All this will allow you to make sure that the backlinks are built efficiently and reliably, which will definitely strengthen your position in the progress of promotion.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…