The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Analog Tape Emulation 2018 (Hardware)
Old 23rd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➡️
And those $3k boxes are??
Culture Vulture Super 15, SSL fusion, AD+, Apogee symphony, 2 distressors, Dangerous Compressor, better maker mastering limiter...

Yeah some are like $2500 but the wording sounded a bit better. And yeah they’re not tape emulations. My point was that I would use and continue to choose to keep the zulu alongside everything else as an equally effective tool.
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypalm ➡️
The Zulu is a fantastic tape emulation. Sounds better than $3000 boxes. And how would I know? Well aside from a part time gig mixing, mastering and producing, I'm a pro audio repair tech. I calibrate tape machines and restore vintage synths, blah blah. I've worked on the $5000 boxes and the $500 boxes. I own some of the $3000 boxes and the $300 boxes. I have a very well calibrated Teac A3440.

OH and BTW, new Zulu's HAVE ALL STEPPED POTS. lol.
Quote:
And those $3k boxes are??
Quote:
So, 'crickets' on those $3k tape emulation boxes the Zulu supposedly sounds "better" than??

Also, a Teac A3440 is a consumer grade tape machine, regardless of how well it's calibrated.
Quote:
Culture Vulture Super 15, SSL fusion, AD+, Apogee symphony, 2 distressors, Dangerous Compressor, better maker mastering limiter...

Yeah some are like $2500 but the wording sounded a bit better. And yeah they’re not tape emulations. My point was that I would use and continue to choose to keep the zulu alongside everything else as an equally effective tool.
Ok, had to go back a bit for context as ur replying to my post from over a year ago.

And, after I did that (context above), it seems you missed 'my' point and the point of the thread/title. None of those 'boxes' you listed are tape emulation boxes. None do tape saturation -- not. even. close.

So, if ur point is the Zulu is "Fantastic tape emulation" that "Sounds better than $3k boxes" ---of which none actually do tape emulation?

Well ok then
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Lol wow you are all over the place dude. You got all snarky on one of my other posts recently. I’d like to meet your ex wife I bet she has some good stories to tell.

But just as a heads up, maybe see a counselor or something? If you’re spending many days a week to make yourself feel good by subordinating gearslutz comments you might have something stuff to work on. Idk just a helpful tip.

And now it’s full time audio. Signed and professional released electronic producer, owner operator of sample website, and then the other gigs. Not everyone can get lucky with the studios that are left. And I’m 28 so I’m pretty happy where I am right now on a subsidiary label just acquired by universal.

Frankly I could say all the **** about how people behind the desk are there because they can’t actually make the music lol. But that’d be a low blow cause I bet you have like a whole library of personal music you wrote alone released by awesome record labels that people love.
I had no idea what you were even talking about until I realized you responded to a post from over a year and 3 months ago.

You gotta be quick to make it in this business. Good to see you have that part under control.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Frankly I could say all the **** about how people behind the desk are there because they can’t actually make the music lol.
Um... You might want to think that one over a bit.
Old 25th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Verified Member
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Actually the Zulu does emulate tape and certain tape types. Read the manual
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod ➡️
Actually the Zulu does emulate tape and certain tape types. Read the manual
Actually, that wasn't what was being debated.
Gear Addict

Verified Member
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sorry read that completely wrong lol
Gear Head

Interested in Zulu as a limiter, can you point me to any examples etc, how dose it compare?
Old 27th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
I had no idea what you were even talking about until I realized you responded to a post from over a year and 3 months ago.

You gotta be quick to make it in this business. Good to see you have that part under control.
This doesn't make any sense as an insult... Why would you even want to be quick on a forum talking about the pros and cons of a device?

If you can't tell by the frequency that I post, I spend most of my time in the real world, not here. In 8 years, I've posted 30 times.

You post over 1 time a day, for 5 years amassing over 6,500 posts and have very conservatively spent 400 hours posting. Not even factoring browsing and other ways to use the site.

Being addicted to gearslutz isn't exactly something you want to hold others accountable to. And for what I'm guessing is supposed to be a 50-60 year old adult behind a keyboard, don't you think your communication is a bit immature?
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddd_r ➡️
Interested in Zulu as a limiter, can you point me to any examples etc, how dose it compare?
It's not a limiter. It does a sort of gooey compression, but you're not going to be using it as a compressor or a limiter.

It's a timbre box trying to add relevant parts of a circuit that allow it to simulate tape. It's more of an EQ than anything, but calling it that would be doing it an injustice.
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevemachine ➡️
Um... You might want to think that one over a bit.
What cause he's like some new york session musician playing other peoples arrangements?

Or because I'm that person? Which doesn't make sense, I explained in the same comment how that's not the case.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddd_r ➡️
I used it a lot on my "greedy beats" drum samples:

It's the crunchier ones usually. Acts kind of like a lo-fi fuzz box but has quite a cool vibe.
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Like I said, I was just making a point that a $700 studio tool is useable alongside many expensive tools. Do you know many $5000 tape emulation boxes? Or $3000 tape emulation boxes?

It's not like I worded my comment that great. But you made them into imaginary tape emulation boxes, when that was not what I was saying.
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Like I said, I was just making a point that a $700 studio tool is useable alongside many expensive tools. Do you know many $5000 tape emulation boxes? Or $3000 tape emulation boxes?

It's not like I worded my comment that great. But you made them into imaginary tape emulation boxes, when that was not what I was saying.
So in a thread about the 'Best Analog Tape Emulation Hardware', you want to point out that your Zulu is usable alongside other studio gear--like moderate to expensive compressors, limiters, converters, etc.

Got it
Old 1st April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do you know many $5000 tape emulation boxes? Or $3000 tape emulation boxes?
Fatso EL7X
Anamod ATS1
Roger Mayer 456HD
JCF Converters
Lavry Gold (Soft Sat)
Cranesong Hedd DSP
Old 1st April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm loving the Tegeler Magnetismus 2. I can't believe I missed out on it for so long. What a parallel drum processor! Sits things in the mix like a dream.
It's a bit like an Overstayer Compressor mixed with a BB HG 2 in terms of tone and apparent volume. I appreciate it has no tubes but that's the feel I get from it.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Does anyone have experience with the DIYRE 15IPS Tape Saturation Colour?

You have to build it yourself. But it looks super easy... and cheap! Also interesting to me because I might need 16-24 channels of something like this (if it sounds good).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Not seen these before...they look fun! Might pick a couple up for tinkering
Quote:

You have to build it yourself. But it looks super easy... and cheap! Also interesting to me because I might need 16-24 channels of something like this (if it sounds good).
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

I built a couple. They work great for tracking and mixing work. For mastering, I found that the 40Hz filter/resonant bump was a bit limiting and often heavy-handed. I did use it for a few projects, but it's likely that those mixes needed more help down there. I ended up selling the units.

It's a fun, easy build and the platform is simple.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 ➡️
I built a couple. They work great for tracking and mixing work. For mastering, I found that the 40Hz filter/resonant bump was a bit limiting and often heavy-handed. I did use it for a few projects, but it's likely that those mixes needed more help down there. I ended up selling the units.

It's a fun, easy build and the platform is simple.
Cool! What's does the high-frequency output sound like?
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Cool! What's does the high-frequency output sound like?
DIYRE has excellent demos available on YouTube for your enjoyment.

I found the units most useful for tracking and mixing, where the high end was being attended to within the context of the mix. It does soften the highs some. I never measured.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I'm loving the Tegeler Magnetismus 2. I can't believe I missed out on it for so long. What a parallel drum processor! Sits things in the mix like a dream.
It's a bit like an Overstayer Compressor mixed with a BB HG 2 in terms of tone and apparent volume. I appreciate it has no tubes but that's the feel I get from it.
How would you say the overstayer MAS compares to the Magnetismus?

I’ve been considering both but I seem to nearly buy everything Tegeler do
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump ➡️
How would you say the overstayer MAS compares to the Magnetismus?

I’ve been considering both but I seem to nearly buy everything Tegeler do
I haven’t used them side by side. The MAS is like velvet, permanently draped across the stereo, master buss.
The Tegeler on the other hand adds a brighter, louder smack to the drum buss I have it parked on, along with the other units I like on drums for saturation and tone shaping. The Tegeler just seems to sit the kick and snare bang on top without being vulgar.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
I haven’t used them side by side. The MAS is like velvet, permanently draped across the stereo, master buss.
The Tegeler on the other hand adds a brighter, louder smack to the drum buss I have it parked on, along with the other units I like on drums for saturation and tone shaping. The Tegeler just seems to sit the kick and snare bang on top without being vulgar.
Thank you.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Picked up a Zulu recently and am quite impressed with it. No, it doesn’t sound exactly like tape, but it does have a beautiful sound, and the noise floor is great. Tested it out on a few mixes so far and have mustered some awesome tones out of it. Having a random box floating about is a bit annoying though, I must say.
📝 Reply