The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Fusion
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
SSL Fusion

There's a new product by SSL called the Fusion.

I got to use it briefly and was pretty impressed with it. I would have liked that they built in an analog limiter at the end but the layout and sound was good.

Solid State Logic Fusion | Sweetwater
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
that looks really cool. would love to see a stepped version (seems to be continuous from the description-- right?), and a different set of HPF frequencies (more aimed at mastering-- 15, 20, 25 etc).

as i understand/assume from the panel, the insert point is either directly post or pre the EQ section, right?
Old 2nd October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogoftears ➡️
that looks really cool. would love to see a stepped version (seems to be continuous from the description-- right?), and a different set of HPF frequencies (more aimed at mastering-- 15, 20, 25 etc).

as i understand/assume from the panel, the insert point is either directly post or pre the EQ section, right?
Yes, I believe so

I actually like the EQ points they chose. The design philosophy overall seemed to be the less is more approach which I appreciate.

Also the HF compressor is a great idea and implemented very well. It is easy to dial in, (Really as everything else is too) and helps tame some of the digital harshness in upper frequencies that tends to happen these days on many recordings.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Check this video out, its the best I've seen that actually describes and then shows what this Fusion unit can do.

At around the 8:10 mark he starts explaining all about the insert points. You can use the insert points for mid/side as well.

Old 2nd October 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Answer to Louder than Liftoff's Silver Bullet?

I realize that these products aren't exactly the same but this reminds me a bit of the Silver Bullet give or take a few features.
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I think we all have tools that can get us there petty close to the box and save some money...... But it's nice to know SSl is coming out with some nice hardware. I mean I already have a BAX EQ, good compressors or other tools to remove harshness, and there are many plug in's that work with your stereo image.
Old 3rd October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks ➡️
I think we all have tools that can get us there petty close to the box and save some money...... But it's nice to know SSl is coming out with some nice hardware. I mean I already have a BAX EQ, good compressors or other tools to remove harshness, and there are many plug in's that work with your stereo image.
This sounds better than any plug-in I've used. Also the depth and stereo feature sounds better than any plug in I've demoed.

I'd suggest demoing one if you get a chance. It definitely brings something to the table for people otherwise doing everything in the box.
Old 3rd October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
This sounds better than any plug-in I've used. Also the depth and stereo feature sounds better than any plug in I've demoed.

I'd suggest demoing one if you get a chance. It definitely brings something to the table for people otherwise doing everything in the box.
My BAX EQ is hardware and so are my compressors. Yeah I hear what your saying, Im site I would be very happy if I had this SSl, but with also having a SSl X Rack with EQ and comps I will pass. Though I still want it
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I may buy it just for the hi frequency Limiter! Density looks great. Analog version of Sonox inflator. But true nonlinear. I wish the hpf had a few lower frequencies or maybe just an 18Hz setting. But it’s got my eye for sure!!
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Solid State Logic Fusion

Hello,

I placed a pre order for the Solid State Logic Fusion to add in my 2bus processing.
My actual setup is the X-Rack Stereo Bus Compressor ,bax Eq, dangerous compressor and the pendulum PL2 Limiter.
My question is where would you place the Solid State Logic Fusion in that chain to have better results?

Thank you
Old 5th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by reymusic ➡️
Hello,

I placed a pre order for the Solid State Logic Fusion to add in my 2bus processing.
My actual setup is the X-Rack Stereo Bus Compressor ,bax Eq, dangerous compressor and the pendulum PL2 Limiter.
My question is where would you place the Solid State Logic Fusion in that chain to have better results?

Thank you
Put it before the PL2
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you
With having that gear already in your studio you want need the Fusion. It will just offer something different, not better.

If you didn't have the BAX and SSl already, the Fusion is a great option and will provide a lot of features in one box that sounds great.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
I've got to disagree with Jason having used it. I think the Fusion will add some cool sonic benefits for your mixes that will work great with what you already have.

Basically you'll want to put the Fusion at the end of your audio chain but before the PL2 so you can use that for final limiting and output level back into your converter.

The video I posted does a good job of showing you what it can do. It sounds just like I remember it sounding when I used it.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks ➡️
With having that gear already in your studio you want need the Fusion. It will just offer something different, not better.

If you didn't have the BAX and SSl already, the Fusion is a great option and will provide a lot of features in one box that sounds great.
How about the drive and the stereo imager option?]

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 12th October 2018 at 10:09 AM..
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've got to disagree with Jason having used it. I think the Fusion will add some cool sonic benefits for your mixes that will work great with what you already have.

Basically you'll want to put the Fusion at the end of your audio chain but before the PL2 so you can use that for final limiting and output level back into your converter.

The video I posted does a good job of showing you what it can do. It sounds just like I remember it sounding when I used it.
Great idea but i wanted to use the Bax for filtering before the limiter.
basically you would put the 2 compressors first and the box and Fusion last PL2?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Great idea but i wanted to use the Bax for filtering before the limiter.
basically you would put the 2 compressors first and the box and Fusion last PL2?
Experiment with your chain but I have more gear than what you've listed and I would still put the Fusion at the end of my chain before going to my limiter then back to my Hilo.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Experiment with your chain but I have more gear than what you've listed and I would still put the Fusion at the end of my chain before going to my limiter then back to my Hilo.
basically you would put the SSl comp,Dangerous comp, Bax eq ,Fusion and PL2?
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
basically you would put the SSl comp,Dangerous comp, Bax eq ,Fusion and PL2?
Yup, I'd always put the Fusion at the very end of the chain before your analog limiter. That's really what its set up for.

I notice that space and width works best at the very end of analog audio chains typically in my experience.

Of course feel free to experiment that's just what I'd do.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Here is a great example of how the unit sounds. But to be honest, I like the BAX EQ better than the Violet. The BAX has filters to cut and boost at the same time while the Violet just either adds or subtracts. I also like the character of the BAX better as well. However I like the harmonics, and compressor and stereo image. I can see certain applications where the transformer will make things sound a little weighter and improved and sometimes it will sound better without it.

YouTube
Old 8th October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh no
Here we go
Just as I was seeking refuge in the quiet dark wood library of the mastering forum

Last edited by rectifried; 8th October 2018 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: Propellorhead
Old 11th October 2018 | Show parent
Deleted c2a9416
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
I'm still a bit confused why they moved the manufacturing process to CHINA?!?
Because if they didn't we'd be paying more for it?

Just done calculations, the SSL is cheaper than the SB where I am in Europe when you factor in import duties etc.

I'm intrigued by this and the SB.
But do they really add a lot more than a chain of hardware pre-amps, eq's and multiband comps?

I get the ease of use tho'
Old 12th October 2018
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
1. High Pass Filter
2. Vintage Drive
3. Violet EQ
4. High Frequency Compressor
5. Stereo Image enhancer
6. SSL Fusion Transformer
• Input & Output Trim to help control how everything interacts.

You'd have to spend a heck of a lot of money to get all of these separately. Come to think of it I'm not even sure what you'd get for the high frequency compressor and stereo image enhancer.

Again, having gotten to use it this thing myself I think it is pretty bad ass. It's on my list to get one. Are you listening Santa?

Old 12th October 2018
Deleted 7f9cade
+1 to that. There are so many awesome features packed into this box. It might be worth it just for the stereo image processing alone. But the drive, EQ, transformer, ect ect. All fantastic.

I still can't believe its only $2495. Normally id expect something like this to be in the 4-5 thou territory.
Old 12th October 2018 | Show parent
Deleted c2a9416
Quote:
1. High Pass Filter
2. Vintage Drive
3. Violet EQ
4. High Frequency Compressor
5. Stereo Image enhancer
6. SSL Fusion Transformer
• Input & Output Trim to help control how everything interacts.

You'd have to spend a heck of a lot of money to get all of these separately. Come to think of it I'm not even sure what you'd get for the high frequency compressor and stereo image enhancer.
Damn ... gonna have to sell something then ......
Old 12th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:

FWIW:
Maselec MLA-3/4 will do the high freq compression (plus lots of other stuff)
RND MBP does stereo image work (plus lots of other stuff)

Definitely a lot more money involved but a lot more processing horsepower too.

I have a SB, plus the devices above, several nice analog EQs and various other analog toys so the Fusion isn't on my wish list. Wouldn't mind playing with it just to hear it, color boxes are quite fashionable these days.
Old 13th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran ➡️
FWIW:
Maselec MLA-3/4 will do the high freq compression (plus lots of other stuff)
RND MBP does stereo image work (plus lots of other stuff)

Definitely a lot more money involved but a lot more processing horsepower too.

I have a SB, plus the devices above, several nice analog EQs and various other analog toys so the Fusion isn't on my wish list. Wouldn't mind playing with it just to hear it, color boxes are quite fashionable these days.
Yes, of course the RND MBP but that's quite expensive just for stereo expansion. I have the RND 542 modules and like them. I've never used the Maselec. It would be interesting to compare the stereo functions of the RND with the SSL. My impression after using the SSL Fusion is that it was very well thought out and practical and packs a lot of bang for the buck. If you get a chance to use one I think you might be surprised at just how good it sounds and how powerful it is.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Come to think of it I'm not even sure what you'd get for the high frequency compressor and stereo image enhancer.
On the lower end of the price scale you can get a pair of Empirical Labs DerrEssers. They have a high freq mode (and a listen circuit so you can hear what freq you're compressing).

For the Stereo image enhancer, two that come instantly to mind are the Bereich03 Side Only if you want an enhancer, and the Avenson Audio Mid-SideR if you want an enhancer along with an insert for mid/side.

I was initially excited about the fusion but it wore off quickly when I realized it comes off as an unfinished design. The LC freqs are embarrassingly anemic - at the very least should have double that as a bare minimum. The HF compressor doesn't have a listen function (like the DerrEssers) although that's not too bad. Strangely they chose to include an M/S matrix and insert but no Mid or Side solo, so if you use the insert and matrix, you can't solo the mid or side to hear what you're doing to each section specifically with your hardware inserts.

I don't know if they planned on designing it correctly but in the end had to hit a price point so just chopped stuff off but it kind of comes off as the lower budget version of high budget gear, if that makes sense. As in, I feel like it should have been built correctly for $4000 rather than cut down for $2500. And $2500 isn't spare change so to me it feels like it's not worth that much for its deficiencies.

And it's mostly pots so recall, while not impossible, is still a bit of a pain to nail correctly. Not something I'd expect from the company that pioneered Total Recall.

The thing is, I'd be more interested in dropping $4000 or $5000 to have it designed and built correctly than $2500 for a crippled version.
Old 13th October 2018
Deleted c2a9416
^^^^ So you ain't their target market.

Other people are and may not want or be able to throw $5000 down on a box.

There are other more pricey alternatives.

You can buy a whole bunch of gear to do what this box does,
probably true with a lot of multi function devices.

But not everybody wants to run 500 series.

Notice in the other thread you want 150hz minimum LC, here you want a minimum of 100? Why would you need that on this thing?

It's an out the box finishing box for in the box mixes
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Note to self:
never post before having coffee

Last edited by John Moran; 13th October 2018 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: 3.14159
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
On the lower end of the price scale you can get a pair of Empirical Labs DerrEssers. They have a high freq mode (and a listen circuit so you can hear what freq you're compressing).

For the Stereo image enhancer, two that come instantly to mind are the Bereich03 Side Only if you want an enhancer, and the Avenson Audio Mid-SideR if you want an enhancer along with an insert for mid/side.

I was initially excited about the fusion but it wore off quickly when I realized it comes off as an unfinished design. The LC freqs are embarrassingly anemic - at the very least should have double that as a bare minimum. The HF compressor doesn't have a listen function (like the DerrEssers) although that's not too bad. Strangely they chose to include an M/S matrix and insert but no Mid or Side solo, so if you use the insert and matrix, you can't solo the mid or side to hear what you're doing to each section specifically with your hardware inserts.

I don't know if they planned on designing it correctly but in the end had to hit a price point so just chopped stuff off but it kind of comes off as the lower budget version of high budget gear, if that makes sense. As in, I feel like it should have been built correctly for $4000 rather than cut down for $2500. And $2500 isn't spare change so to me it feels like it's not worth that much for its deficiencies.

And it's mostly pots so recall, while not impossible, is still a bit of a pain to nail correctly. Not something I'd expect from the company that pioneered Total Recall.

The thing is, I'd be more interested in dropping $4000 or $5000 to have it designed and built correctly than $2500 for a crippled version.
Pair deresser 1100$
500 rack 300$
Avensons 700-1000$
I don’t think these are stepped
Then.. umm the other stuff

Or for all the options
Get ozone8

This box looks more exciting than “crippled “
The insert for a Comp you already have is very cool
SSL def is thinking ahead
📝 Reply