The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Average Mixing/Mastering prices
Old 6th October 2018 | Show parent
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeorge ➡️
Briefly ye this guy its absolute professor in edm mastering the loudness and clarity he achieve its scary.But that's my opinion
the best examples you like of them?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH ➡️
the best examples you like of them?
Recently watched him mixing this for fader pro ...There its lot of Dangerous Music and Pendulum processing as well as his 50s console eqs.He clipped gently the prism but overall his sound its huge.
YouTube
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeorge ➡️
Recently watched him mixing this for fader pro ...There its lot of Dangerous Music and Pendulum processing as well as his 50s console eqs.He clipped gently the prism but overall his sound its huge.
YouTube
Low end is not compressed as much as the main musical bed.
Compress vocals until it's can't be compressed more, compress the piss out of the "music", leave the low-end, mix the three. But the sonics is tiring. Sounds hollow, stressed and unmusical to me.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH ➡️
Low end is not compressed as much as the main musical bed.
Compress vocals until it's can't be compressed more, compress the piss out of the "music", leave the low-end, mix the three. But the sonics is tiring. Sounds hollow, stressed and unmusical to me.
This is what sells nowadays extremely stressed sound.I would.never process as much call.me.amateur but ye modern.music have gigantic layers of compression and expansion
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by prp ➡️
Hi Guyz,
I've searched on the forum and i only found an old post about this topic.

So, i'm living in EU, Italy, i'm running a small production/mixing/mastering studio and i'm wondering which is the average price for mastering one song and mixing one.
What're your thoughts? and how do you suggest to start connecting with the labels?

Thank you guyz :D
this is 2018 average price :
LANDR

Last edited by BT Mastering; 6th October 2018 at 09:45 PM..
Old 23rd October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Guys, i think all the logic here is a bit outdated. While correct in theory @ streaky 's example refers to a different era when you may really fill your studio at a rate of 20€/track then rise. Now the operating range is short, going from 6€ for a joke online mastering to 140€ for a grammy engineer. In the middle we have a mass of 70€ size where sits say Abbey Road on line mastering. From average end user's perspective (who produces say 1 album per year) i don't feel that there's so much affiliation logic nor a real debate around plus or minus 5€.
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
In the 80s a master could easily cost more than $ 1,000 per song and a mix around $ 10,000, talking about top productions. Today the costs have been reduced between a tenth and a twentieth of then .... The technology has definitely changed the workflow, it has simplified it saving time. Also the cost of carrying out a study has changed but not in the same way as the service is offered. Considering that if I wanted to do a mastering study, the investments to be made are high, already starting from monitors that alone would cost at least $ 40000, the masonry, acoustics and digital analogue outboard would bring me around $ 200,000. Doing two accounts quickly, considering a 35% tax burden, making master at $ 100 each, I should make at least 3000 to get back the costs and this without counting that my life has a cost, which I have not considered in the example. All the big studies that I know were born in a period when money ran a lot and then you could afford to make major investments and in the medium term came the return on investment and income. Today I see it really difficult, not impossible, such a choice. I would be curious to know if the top players in the market, both in the field of mastering and mixing, would invest starting from zero all the money needed to have the equipment they have today, at today's market prices.....
Surely in this sector the knowledge and skill gained with experience plays a fundamental role, but if we add to this the support of the best technologies becomes difficult to play, when others can make your price because however the investments are already returned .
Working in the box partly killed the correct and sensible way of doing things. And why this? Because the use of cracked software allows you to have the best digital tools without having paid them. In my small way, in the last 5 years I have invested at least $ 20,000 in software between new ones and updates.
This allows you to have prices that are ridiculous in everything, just starting from the fact that you diminish your professionalism, your effort and your competence.
I see online services that offer $ 15 mastering per track, I have also tried them but have nothing to do with what I call art and quality and yet they work. Why this? Because mediocrity is normal, because quantity is normal, because customers have changed ....
Sorry for the outburst ...
Old 4th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Resurrecting this topic to see where people are with their pricing policies 2-1/2 years and one pandemic later.

My own question is: I've been presented with a 4-CD mastering project (all digital). For a project that size, would you do an hourly rate, a rate per CD, or one lump sum for the entire project (with revisions, etc.)?
Old 5th March 2021
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'd do a lump sum for the whole thing.
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito ➡️
This technique is not always easy because once you set a price for a client, it's difficult to come back to it. Usually if i try to raise my price they will leave.. because they got used to a certain price
Charge the annoying ones the new price, and keep your most valued customers at the old/discounted price. It’s worked for me.
Old 6th March 2021
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Well, back in the 80s, proper mixing and mastering required tons of great analog & bleeding edge digital hardware, great rooms, & skilled experience engineers, label red tape, and physical product manufacture shipping distribution, etc.

I remember when the early Sony digital systems cost 50,000$ in 1980s dollars, which now is $120k in todays Bitcoins!

different era & universe!

cheers, JT
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb ➡️
Well, back in the 80s, proper mixing and mastering required tons of great analog & bleeding edge digital hardware, great rooms, & skilled experience engineers, label red tape, and physical product manufacture shipping distribution, etc.

I remember when the early Sony digital systems cost 50,000$ in 1980s dollars, which now is $120k in todays Bitcoins!

different era & universe!

cheers, JT
I appreciate your perspective, Jerry. From someone who only needs analog processing, no analog storage/playback/capture, nor has had any digital tools become obsolete besides a couple of plugins and computers, I am quite grateful that it is more accessible to the average person.

In either case, it comes down to the person doing the work. Anyone can buy the same hammers, chisels, etc. as a world class sculptor. Doesn’t mean they are a sculptor. But now you can actually become one with mostly hard work and persistence and a budget that your middle class person can attain - pretty similar to completing in a post-secondary program.

I think this is a good development for the industry. I would imagine that when megabucks were the barrier to being an ME, there’s no guarantee the right people were able to attain that position. What do you think?
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontornblom ➡️
I appreciate your perspective, Jerry. From someone who only needs analog processing, no analog storage/playback/capture, nor has had any digital tools become obsolete besides a couple of plugins and computers, I am quite grateful that it is more accessible to the average person.

In either case, it comes down to the person doing the work. Anyone can buy the same hammers, chisels, etc. as a world class sculptor. Doesn’t mean they are a sculptor. But now you can actually become one with mostly hard work and persistence and a budget that your middle class person can attain - pretty similar to completing in a post-secondary program.

I think this is a good development for the industry. I would imagine that when megabucks were the barrier to being an ME, there’s no guarantee the right people were able to attain that position. What do you think?
Yes, of course.

I’m definitely a Hybrid “Best of All Worlds” Mastering Guy.

On a daily basis I’ll use tools that span over 50 years, 70s, 80s, 90s...

right up to the latest 2021 software tools, so...

i think my sig sez it.

i think $100 per song is about the going rate for actual MEs that use a similar hybrid approach, that involves expensive Gear & Space.

otherwise it’d just be a hobby...

Cheers, JT
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, of course.

I’m definitely a Hybrid “Best of All Worlds” Mastering Guy.
Apart from, ahem... the SoundBlade thing
(just joshin')
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, of course.

I think $100 per song is about the going rate for actual MEs that use a similar hybrid approach, that involves expensive Gear & Space.

otherwise it’d just be a hobby...

Cheers, JT
Yes very true. It also depends on where you get your clients from and how willing they are to pay the going rate. Lots of clients are looking for "cheaper" ways to get their mastering done. Some are DIYing themselves, some are using the online mastering places and some are forgoing mastering altogether saying that their stuff is "good enough" for on line streaming. People who know quality will continue to go to people like yourself for the best possible mastering.FWIW
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
Yes very true. It also depends on where you get your clients from and how willing they are to pay the going rate. Lots of clients are looking for "cheaper" ways to get their mastering done. Some are DIYing themselves, some are using the online mastering places and some are forgoing mastering altogether saying that their stuff is "good enough" for on line streaming. People who know quality will continue to go to people like yourself for the best possible mastering.FWIW
Yes! and if they want it for Less...

let ‘em float downstream,

until they find the $5 per song, or even Free deal.

“pay peanuts, get monkeys”

still holds true.

cheers, jt

p.s. now if it’s a friend, and they need a favor, then ok...
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone ➡️
Apart from, ahem... the SoundBlade thing
(just joshin')
LoL of course!

It’s being strongly recommended that I switch to WaveLab 9.5. or later.

Maybe i’ll go there, we’ll seeeeeee....

Cheers, JT
Old 31st March 2021
What's the average price for mixing, what's the average price for mastering;

The average price for mixing and mastering can vary significantly...

--

Analogue master for 50eu. Mixing goes 80eu. How this price sound to you?

This sounds very cheap to me; not saying it would be bad.

--

"i mean, to me sounds impossible to run a business with this prices!"

Who knows? I guess each and every individual has their own overheads income streams; jobs on the side...

--

What're your thoughts?

My thoughts are do you want someone choosing to work with you because of your price?
Or
Do you want your price to represent a fair exchange of value for what you provide and that is sustainable as a healthy and growing business?

I vote the later.

--

How do you suggest to start connecting with the labels?

All my connections with labels have come from producers who I worked with at an independent level that eventually got signed to the labels or started writing with labels artists and made intros for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Bob Clearmountain used to charge 10,000$ per song to mix iirc.

Bob Ludwig was charging $600 per hour to Master.

Definitely Hit Makers though!

JT
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Here’s the thing about marketing: the demand sets your price point. If you are charging $70 per main version and you are swamped, consider raising your price. And vice versa, if you are charging $70 and you are not fully booked, you are priced too high. These are business rules, not music rules.

Hope that helps!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…