The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room.
Old 18th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Interesting! Did you have the chance to compare the "Realphones" against "Ghz Canopener"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
I’m back to using my LCD-X’s corrected with Realphones again. Going to keep the Slate VSX strictly for home use. The LCD’s really do sound awesome with Realphones.
Old 18th January 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Open back for sure.... No question about that.
HD600 here, they are a perfect match with my Dynaudio M1 + ABES.

Tied the HD650 but it's not as flat as the HD600.
Beyer DT1990 Pro are pretty good too but I found them too dark in the mid.
Audio Technica are good for recording, but not enough for mixing nor for mastering.
I tried the Neumann HDH 20, they are pretty amazing, hopefully they will do an open back version.
The rest of the professional headphone out there that I tried can be good but I never found one as good as the HD600.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephsgears ➡️
I tried the Neumann HDH 20, they are pretty amazing, hopefully they will do an open back version.
I hope to receive mine tomorrow, I am looking forward to it! Hope to combine them with SRH1840.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemski ➡️
Interesting! Did you have the chance to compare the "Realphones" against "Ghz Canopener"?
Totally different story.

Canopener ist mainly about crossfeed, while Realphones offers eq-correction + room emulation on top.

I was a huge LCD-X fan for years.

Tried everything from Reveal to Canopener + Oratory curves, Sonarworks, Realphones, Abbey Road, etc.

When I received the VSX, I sold my LCD-X and never looked back since.
My neck thanks me every day

Kept my LCD-1, though. They sound great with Realphones.

The VSX phones do as well. btw.
Old 19th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmar ➡️
Might as well throw in some entertainment ...
*Please* tell me they’re not worth it!!
Old 19th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
avatone planars get some very positive reviews as a neutral (frequency) and very fast (very good impulse) headphone. has anyone tried them vs. the others usual recommendations?
Old 28th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Spank ➡️
Looking into some new cans.

Anyone using the Rad-0, D8000...
bump for this one.
by any chance? those D8000 look super amazing.
Seems they haven't yet got much attention around here
Old 3rd February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
The place I bought them from Headphones.com
I emailed them asking why they sounded so flaccid and vanilla.they said buy a better amp!? Nope
The Avocet amp is pretty damn good and plenty of power.
They were an open box deal 1400
were that possibly jacked?
I mean they sounded downright dull and lifeless
Anyways I’m over chasing 1600 headphones for mixing and referencing
Interesting that you found the Heddphone dull and lifeless because that's exactly how I find the AMT tweeter in the Hedd Type 30.
Old 12th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Great thread! I’d like to ask if anyone has tried the Audeze LCD-GX as mixing headphones? They seem to be somewhere inbetween LCD-1 and LCD-X both in price, performance and weight. Some say they prefer their frequency response to other big Audeze phones but that the details are maybe not on the same level.

The lower weight may be important for use over extended periods and they can be had for under 1k euro/dollar. Anyone tried those?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unease ➡️
Great thread! I’d like to ask if anyone has tried the Audeze LCD-GX as mixing headphones? They seem to be somewhere inbetween LCD-1 and LCD-X both in price, performance and weight. Some say they prefer their frequency response to other big Audeze phones but that the details are maybe not on the same level.

The lower weight may be important for use over extended periods and they can be had for under 1k euro/dollar. Anyone tried those?
I tried them at the factory for a hot minute. I really liked them. Never worked on them, but I dug the freq response.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
I tried them at the factory for a hot minute. I really liked them. Never worked on them, but I dug the freq response.
Ok, did you have the opportunity to compare them directly to e.g. the LCD-Xs?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unease ➡️
Ok, did you have the opportunity to compare them directly to e.g. the LCD-Xs?
I didn’t. They had a lighter sound if that makes sense. Not as rich low end but maybe clearer mids. Hard to know without a direct ab.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
I didn’t. They had a lighter sound if that makes sense. Not as rich low end but maybe clearer mids. Hard to know without a direct ab.
Ok, thanks! That assesment seems inline with other comments I’ve read.
Old 16th February 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I am contemplating Audeze LCD-X vs Focal Clear (vs maybe HD800S) ...

Has anyone here had the Clears (or any other Focal headphones) for a longer time? For some reason I don't really trust Focals to last - don't trust Focal quality.

Does anyone here have good experience with Clear/Elegia/Elear in that they have been using it without any quality issues?

Thanks!
Old 16th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
just an interesting thing... because everyone keeps mentioning how great Sonarworks work...

Have you seen a comparison between individually calibrated headphones vs the average calibration?

I've got three individually calibrated headphones and was I to use the average profile it would totally mess up the sound of the headphones, especially in the highs.

BTW with the HD800 Sonarworks was terrible ... With Audeze LCD2 Classic and Sennheiser HD25 Plus it strangely worked quite well.

I've attached the average profile for the LCD2 Classic and the individual calibration... (the one with two measurements is the individual one... left and right measurements)

Huge difference in the highs... The average profile is basically not usable
Attached Thumbnails
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room.-sw-lcd2c-atlag.jpg   What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room.-sw-lcd2c-egyedi.jpg  
Old 16th February 2021
Lives for gear

After 1 month with Neumann NDH20, I must say that I am very happy with them.

I combine them with Shure SRH1840 and they make a great pair, the negative points of one (SHR1840 lacks subwoofer and has quite a bit of distortion, but they are very flat and have very precise treble) are the positive points of the other (NDH20 has incredible very low distortion, but lacks a bit of air in the highs).
Old 16th February 2021
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's exactly why I find these 'generic' corrections quite questionable. I mean, even in the same pair there can be quite some variations between the two drivers, which, of course depends on the manufacturer etc.

Any serious correction should be done individually for every pair.

The only way these could improve and not mess with the sound is by using very broad curves, which is something Audeze has done with their Reveal plugin. But I found that significantly inferior to my 'hand-made' correction.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
After 1 month with Neumann NDH20, I must say that I am very happy with them.

I combine them with Shure SRH1840 and they make a great pair, the negative points of one (SHR1840 lacks subwoofer and has quite a bit of distortion, but they are very flat and have very precise treble) are the positive points of the other (NDH20 has incredible very low distortion, but lacks a bit of air in the highs).
So which one of those is accurate?
Lives for gear

The combination of both.

When I need to check mid-highs, I use SRH1840, when I need to check bass, or check analytically, as the amount of saturation, I use NDH20. In both I can check the balance in general.

If everything sounds good in both, then everything is fine for me.
Old 17th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gml ➡️
long-time user of Audeze LCD-3's. cause i don't want to be fooled when i can't be in front of my favorite speakers (Genelec 8351B's).

George
Well this post is going to make me demo the 3's.
Old 17th February 2021
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
with headphones, critical listening is important!

just sayin’

JT
Attached Thumbnails
What are your favorite headphones in the mastering room.-bdb3266b-9aca-46e1-bb29-5321fb459fb6.jpg  
Old 18th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
so true .... so true.

and .... you can make quite the Fashion statement in the process.
Old 27th March 2021
i've been mixing with focal utopia + oratory1990 eq (link below) + niimbus 4 amp for a while now.
this combination can compete with the most precise speakers placed in greatest rooms
(not necessarily a replacement for speakers).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cl7jfxccsg...topia.pdf?dl=0
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
OLLO S4X...had them for a year and cant live without them...translation in superb, aslo very comfortable to wear, not to mention price tag..

Best
📝 Reply