The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cranesong STC 8 tricks?
Old 19th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks ➡️
I am reading the manual and I don't get understand the presets. If you choose the top left presets it bypasses Attack, Release, and Shape. So for your mixes you would choose C as A is for vocals and B is for bass and Punch.
V is for using the separate controls of Attack, Release and Shape.

Now the bottom right presets are the same as the top left except it does no have auto release?

Now on the left bottom is A-Mod which is more gentle than the regular options above. So is the left bottom when you want more gentle reduction?

Then the top right is the same as the bottom left except it has a manual release?
The Presets knob is a bit confusing.

Basically, yes, A was designed for vocals. B for bass and C for overall "leveling".

V is variable.

There is then the Left side (PDR) and right side (No PDR).

The release in PDR is not the same as the release knob.

Dave describes the PDR section to be more opto and smooth in character where as the Non PDR is a little faster/snappier (mostly noticeable at higher gain reduction).

You then have the A mod function which shortens the attack when the peak limiter is active.

It's a great compressor. A lot of people do use 2 Trakkers as you stated. And also 2 Titans. Lot's of options!
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I spoke with Dave today, he told me the STC-8 has a musical clean sound that is not as transparent as the Trakkers transparent setting. This is why so many love the STC-8.
It also does not sound like the Trakker with transparent VCA setting. It has its own sound.

For mastering, I am more attracted to the STC-8 than the Trakker. With that being said, I have heard the Trakker on vocals and acoustic guitar and was blown away on how great it sounded.

The Titan is also great with a lot of options but I prefer the straightforward work flow of the STC-8. I also don't like that small digital screen to work off to read through settings. The make up gain setting is not displayed in the small display either. But believe me I would be happy to have them in my studio.

With headphones you can hear the clean smooth character of the STC-8 here. YouTube

Last edited by Glenn Bucci; 20th February 2018 at 05:33 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Resurrecting this thread......

I just got an STC-8/M and was looking for the jumpers on the main PCB as mentioned earlier (JP3 as shown in the manual for changing the response in Ki mode and JP9 & JP10 as described earlier for adjusting the side chain gain). I can only find 2 jumpers: 1) JP8 (3 pins) which is near the center of the PCB near the area where some users have described the placement of JP9 and JP10 and 2) JP11 which is larger and is located near the front of the main PCB. There is a jumper across the front 2 pins of JP8. My PCB is labelled as PN 5CRAN0002 Rev 6. I can't find any other jumpers anywhere.

Anyone have any knowledge of PCBs similar to what's in my unit and how to implement the "mods" described earlier (maybe those mods are built-in for this unit?)?

I greatly appreciate anyone's help...
Thnx
📝 Reply