The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hcl Varis or Igs Tubecore for mastering electronic music
Old 22nd February 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
FWIW, I got a new Varis a few months ago. Latest model. Love it. The Tubecore sounded good in like 1 position for me. The Varis is far more flexible, and I haven't found a situation where it didn't sound better in the chain. Even if I'm not compressing (actually rarely compress during mastering these days), I still leave it in the chain.

The old ones were bright in a cool way. This one is far more neutral but flattering. Really good.
Old 25th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Interesting, thermos. What color is the latest model Varis? And/or how to identify it in the wild? Old bright ones = blueface?
Old 25th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Churlish ➡️
Interesting, thermos. What color is the latest model Varis? And/or how to identify it in the wild? Old bright ones = blueface?
The all black ones were the brightest ones. I think they had toroid input and output transformers. They still sounded great, but were furthest from flat. The all blue ones are still great: faster attack times and flatter still. I had one of those for a few years. Really good.

New ones are black with blue faceplates. There are more variation in terms of tubes so they probably all sound a little different.
Old 20th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodstar57 ➡️
Hello I happen to have both the HCL and Tube Core for about 4 -6 months. I will not be selling either.

Current use:
Tubecore:
For mixing: I run leads vocals ( one channel) after a blue stripe from hairBall. This allows me to fatten and take off some harshness. Coupled with the mix knob
this things becomes versatile to dial in the fatness and smoothness or put it into bypass if the mix doesn’t need.

For mastering: I run the tubecore into the HCL Thermos. I could use the Varis here but the mix knob gives it just the edge in flexibility. This is not to say the varis cannot shine either the Triode and pentiode modes.

Varis:
Mixing I Use it for backing vocals. It’s big but not forward if you don’t want it to be. It sets things nicely and easy don’t have to fuse around. The aforementioned modes are great to setting the vocal nicely for whatever you are looking for.

For mastering:
It is good but I always found myself missing the mix knob. However, the modes, feedback/forward and, x2 give it different versatility than the tubecore with give it some different tones if wanted.
hey @ bloodstar ,

how would you contrast the varis and the bluestripe? i'm trying to grasp the mixing capabilities of the varis. i understand what a bluestripe sounds like at conservative settings and when pushed. and i understand the varis sounds very transparent at conservative settings, but what kind of tonality and action comes out of it when it's working hard? can't find this info anywhere online. i have a tubecore 3u with stock tubes that i know very well, so feel free to use that as a reference point. i'm trying to decide whether to add a bluestripe or a varis or a kush tweaker or something else to my arsenal. my only other compressor is an ssl bus clone. mixing primarily indie rock here.
Old 23rd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
hey @ bloodstar ,

how would you contrast the varis and the bluestripe? i'm trying to grasp the mixing capabilities of the varis. i understand what a bluestripe sounds like at conservative settings and when pushed. and i understand the varis sounds very transparent at conservative settings, but what kind of tonality and action comes out of it when it's working hard? can't find this info anywhere online. i have a tubecore 3u with stock tubes that i know very well, so feel free to use that as a reference point. i'm trying to decide whether to add a bluestripe or a varis or a kush tweaker or something else to my arsenal. my only other compressor is an ssl bus clone. mixing primarily indie rock here.
The varis can distort very hard and sound a bit metallic and fuzzy. It depends on what you want to use it for.
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
The varis can distort very hard and sound a bit metallic and fuzzy. It depends on what you want to use it for.
Hmm, metallic does not sound too appealing. Have you had any issues (even something minor) with functionality? In other words, was your Varis built well?
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hmm, metallic does not sound too appealing. Have you had any issues (even something minor) with functionality? In other words, was your Varis built well?
Well I only had it pushed one time and it was pushed very hard. So to my ear the heavy distortion had a metallic sound. I think is built fine, it permanently place on the backing vocal bus.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I might sound like I’m beating a dead horse but the BG1 has a 3 mode threshold. The BG1 probably sounds great and it was one I considered - also considered the revolver-before getting the Varis. However, IMO the varis feature set were more desirable; I like my tools to have the options to nuke a track or mix but also want them to be almost unnoticeable when needed. This is why I got the tube core and varis over the many other great options out there but again that’s my mindset.
Hey! I’m in the same boat now, debating between the BG1 and the tubecore , which one did you end up with ? Did you have a chance to try / compare them?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivandovich ➡️
Hey! I’m in the same boat now, debating between the BG1 and the tubecore , which one did you end up with ? Did you have a chance to try / compare them?
I have not tried the BG1. However, the tube core has much much more versatility especially with the mix knob. I have both the Varis and Tubecore, will not be selling either they will be permanent fixtures. Both are great flexible tools. I'm not large enough to have one trick ponies....yet!!!
📝 Reply