The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
squabbles here lately
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
squabbles here lately

I'm getting PMs and emails from many people who have been overtly bashed or slyly insulted here so much they're not posting questions anymore. Gearslutz is a nice place to hang out specifically because it lacks the posturing of most forums, let's not ruin that on this sub forum. Macho posturing or a bully mentality is not helping to make music better, and it's no way for the experienced to treat the enthusiastic.

I'd like to propose a simple guideline ... post with an ear toward music first and only.

Any questions or alternative ideas to mine or yours are welcome and should be met with both respect and a healthy skepticism; not insulting quips, posturing or hostility. IMO the present state of the music industry is limited ... and yet the future of music is full of potential. Anyone here could be making something great in the future and they may need some better ideas; may come to Gearslutz Mastering forum and ask or say something that's

*factually wrong
*been asked many times before
*is generally or specifically a really a bad thing to do
*makes you feel angry or threatened
*allows you to feel better than them with a desire to put them down

Can we make it music first and posturing a distant second? Respecting the person even as we disrespect their premise or position?

I'll refrain from posting why I think this has been happening with increased frequency, as that would be more of the same crap. Let's just agree to not go there. We all love music, right? Lets go with that commonality. The future of music can be better than the present, and that's why I post. Let's commit to music, and let the rest go.

Old 29th January 2007
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
thumbsup
Old 29th January 2007 | Show parent
Founder

Verified Member
12 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Guidelines for the various forums come from forum moderators and Gearslutz.com site admin only, no one else.

We prefer suggestions for the forum to be made to site admin or moderators off-line rather than in 'open letters' such as this one.

That said - "trying to stay out of fights" is always a good idea..

Perhaps give that a go?
Old 30th January 2007 | Show parent

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
I agree that all should feel welcome, and none should feel that posting any kind of question, novice or expert, will open them to ridicule.

We've been trying not to be too heavy handed in the moderation, because inevitably somebody feels they get cut off while the "other guy" gets the last word. One way or another, somebody feels like they get the short end of the stick. Maybe we will tighten up ship, but that can cause other criticisms. It's a tightrope walk, and members should be able to police themselves to some extent.

Still, we should all definitely try to stay positive, or at least civil, and this means sometimes letting stuff roll of your back and not escalating or continuing something ad naseum. This can be tough to do if you feel you are getting unfairly dumped on, but honestly, if you state your case well, and somebody dumps on you anyways, most of us lurking on the thread are smart enough to have understood your point. Give us readers a little credit. You don't always need to have the last word to be understood. Don't take the bait.
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo ➡️
Give us readers a little credit. You don't always need to have the last word to be understood. Don't take the bait.
thumbsup
Founder

Verified Member
12 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
enough said
Closed