The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMG Limitless
Old 22nd January 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
DMG Limitless

Just posting here for those that might have missed the announcement otherwise, but DMG Audio will be releasing a multiband limiter on Monday it sounds like. Details and Dave's thoughts here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...limitless.html
Old 22nd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

EDIT: Sorry...I didn't see your link to the other thread!
Old 22nd January 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
16 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith ➑️
Just posting here for those that might have missed the announcement otherwise, but DMG Audio will be releasing a multiband limiter on Monday it sounds like. Details and Dave's thoughts here:

Thanks Erik, that looks interesting.
Old 22nd January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynick ➑️

EDIT: Sorry...I didn't see your link to the other thread!

LOL, I was wondering if maybe I posted the wrong one by mistake, busy day with NAMM announcements and all
Old 22nd January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm looking forward to this.
Old 22nd January 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Game changer?

Hats off to Dave for prioritising transparency over maximum loudness. Can't wait to try it.
Old 23rd January 2016
Deleted 691ca21
Me neither, could finally be something to replace my Elephant?
Old 25th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone ➑️
Game changer?

Hats off to Dave for prioritising transparency over maximum loudness. Can't wait to try it.
Heh, thanks. We've tried maximum loudness and it wasn't good.

Dave.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Looking forward to try this!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble ➑️
Heh, thanks. We've tried maximum loudness and it wasn't good.

Dave.
Ironically, going for transparency actually gives us the option to go for maximum loudness as well. Limitless can go loud as !"$!"Β£$!.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Is it just me hitting refresh on the DMG site this morning? Take my money FFS!

Dave makes the best sounding software, bar none.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc ➑️
Is it just me hitting refresh on the DMG site this morning? Take my money FFS!

Dave makes the best sounding software, bar none.
You and me both sir.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It's installed and it's running - seamless process as ever.

Very very very (etc) early days of course, but early impressions are extremely positive. As in, extremely positive.

I just fiddled around with stuff with the threshold/ceiling linked, getting a feel for it, getting used to the parameters etc... heard a tiny bit of cymbal breakup and was a bit nonplussed... then remembered I was doing about 14dB of limiting, with fairly aggressive timings. So, yeah. It's good.

EDIT: Ok a bit later now. Just f#cking wow.

Last edited by macc; 25th January 2016 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: Bit more info
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, it's crazy init? The same thing happened to me, heard something start to break up, got a bit disappointed, then realized how much limiting was being applied and my jaw dropped. Really nice limiter Dave, thanks so much.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Indeed this limiter is by far the best sounding limiter on the market now. If you set it up properly you can even sort of get that TC "soft/hard safe compromise" thing going that so many owning the hardware seems to like.

The thing is, Limitless is _extremely_ flexible when it comes to the subtle micro details. The weight + release shape control + look-a-head + dynamics control in combination can drastically alter the flow of the limiting, making it suitable for pretty much anything.

The only thing I dislike is the lack of per-band stereo linking but Dave has said that he will consider that feature for the next point update.

Anyhow, huge congratulations to Dave, yet again, on creating such a fantastic tool for us! Major from me.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Per band stereo linking would be great, I'd love to see that too.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➑️
The weight + release shape control + look-a-head + dynamics control in combination can drastically alter the flow of the limiting, making it suitable for pretty much anything.
Just spent a long time with these exact controls, and yep - it's phenomenal.

Quote:
The only thing I dislike is the lack of per-band stereo linking but Dave has said that he will consider that feature for the next point update.
Hmmm, would be nice.

From reading Dave's post elsewhere on here, there's band-specific phase control somewhere, as there is in Equilibrium. Is that right, or was it excluded after beta? Couldn't find it is all, and I'd probably be running it much like Dave mentions in that post, min phase in the LFs, up to linear phase at the top. I use Equilibrium like that pretty often, so it'd be nice to have that control.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Some presets showing this interesting combination of clipping and limiting (the EDM Master thingy). Results are very, very great and not comparable to a single band limiter like Pro L or Elephant.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm sold on this. I knew I would be.
The only thing I would have wished extra for is a different clipper control, with a meter showing when it hits clip before the limiter section.
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
There's a meter right below where you set the clipping type.
Old 25th January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
got to get home quick to try it!!!
Old 25th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
first impression is very good. on average it seems to beat elephant & ozone. its not a whole new world, but a few % more transparent. a good addition for sure!
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by karumba ➑️
first impression is very good. on average it seems to beat elephant & ozone. its not a whole new world, but a few % more transparent. a good addition for sure!
Exactly my observation as well. "Game changer" would be a much too drastic assesment for sure.
Elephants lack of distortion and its bass behaviour is still quite unique I think.
Limitless has a bit unpunchy behaviour in some cases ( especially with a overdose of GR) due its attack/release behaviour. With normal GR its sounds pretty transparent, punchy and tight and its very flexible too.
The band splitting seems to work quite good as well. But I didnt like the clipper very much til now.
Looking forwardfor some further tests the next days.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by karumba ➑️
+1
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Played with it tonight. Immediate impression was its happening. Looking forward to the next real gig with it but it's a strong contender and I'm guessing many of the options are useful.
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Love it.
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just bought it. Took about half an hour to realize how good it was.
Old 27th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
demoing this now and highly impressed-- it slays elephant in my a/b's on an open project.
highly tweekable in a GOOD way. i found that when i got behind the scenes on elephant and tried to make custom modes that it was very difficult to find sweet spots. on this guy there are a lot of sweet spots, it does a lot of cool things and seems hard to get a bad sound out of. elephant sounds nasally and narrow in comparison. (i've pretty much sworn by elephant for a really long time, so this is a big deal to me)

it is not super stable on my system. el capitan/logic 9/orion. i'm hoping it will work better in logic x.
Old 27th January 2016
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just trying out the demo version for OSX. The GUI is flickering a little when in setup mode and it has caused WaveLab 8 to crash a couple of times. I hope that will be ironed out in future versions. However, soundwise I am quite impressed. I normally use Voxengo's Elephant and FabFilter's Pro-L, but I could see this one taking a place alongside them.
Old 27th January 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hello Dave, like many here I love your products.

I downloaded the demo of Limitless, wanting to prove, however, its CPU usage does not allow me to work. Step 9% to 96% in PT 10, in Wavelab 7 I can make it run but the machine becomes very slow.

My computer is older (2010), but for mastering, never needed more.

I hope you can optimize the use, and if not, when I change my computer will be a pleasure to test it.
πŸ“ Reply