The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMG Limitless
Old 4th September 2020 | Show parent
  #451
Gear Maniac
 
darkalex's Avatar
 
Verified Member
I installed the demo of Limitless on my DAW today after reading all the positive stuff about it on this forum

I don't know why but it just didn't work for me on any mix, even with 2-3 db of reduction on a -14RMS mix!

I didn't mess with what looks like multiband stuff in the middle and just messed with the threshold, release and the style settings and set the threshold and ceiling equal so as to evaluate what it's doing on the same loudness level

Man, rather than a proper brick wall, this limiter just squashed the peaks until they were under the ceiling, unlike the Pro-L2 which keeps the level intact while squashing it 'hard', for the lack of better words. Limitless works more like Waves L2, no matter what you do, it is not gonna crush the track, it rather kills the transient impact.

I tried it with the slowest/fastest release, in aggressive, punchy, transparent, smooth, but it didn't get me the loudness, it killed the snare in the mix.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 4th September 2020
  #452
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
 
Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
You probably have the dynamics % value set too high for what you want. The dynamics is the ammount of the multiband part of Limitless, if you set it to 0% it's bypassed. Often there is some kind of balance that works best for the material, target loudness and your taste.

Limitless is one of the more confusing plugins I have, but it's powerful.
Old 4th September 2020 | Show parent
  #453
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha ➡️
You probably have the dynamics % value set too high for what you want. The dynamics is the ammount of the multiband part of Limitless, if you set it to 0% it's bypassed. Often there is some kind of balance that works best for the material, target loudness and your taste.

Limitless is one of the more confusing plugins I have, but it's powerful.
Yep. 23-25 is where my dynamics value lives.

1 correction, dynamics is not the amount of multiband, but of a separate dynamics stage that’s more of a compressor. Separation controls the amount of multiband, so 0% of that is essentially wideband.
Old 4th September 2020 | Show parent
  #454
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
 
Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
Yep. 23-25 is where my dynamics value lives.

1 correction, dynamics is not the amount of multiband, but of a separate dynamics stage that’s more of a compressor. Separation controls the amount of multiband, so 0% of that is essentially wideband.
Yes, that's a good description.
Old 22nd February 2021
  #455
Lives for gear
 
dougb415's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I'm trying to install Limitless on my new M1 Mac Mini running Big Sur. When I click on the license file, I get a message saying that it can't be opened because it's from an unidentified developer. Is this yet another case where I have to reduce Security in order to let it run?
Old 23rd February 2021 | Show parent
  #456
Gear Nut
 
protools's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Right click....Open....
Old 23rd February 2021 | Show parent
  #457
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 ➡️
I'm trying to install Limitless on my new M1 Mac Mini running Big Sur. When I click on the license file, I get a message saying that it can't be opened because it's from an unidentified developer. Is this yet another case where I have to reduce Security in order to let it run?
System Preferences > Privacy and Security > Open Anyway.
Make sure 3rd party developers is ticked.
Old 23rd February 2021 | Show parent
  #458
Lives for gear
 
dougb415's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
System Preferences > Privacy and Security > Open Anyway.
Make sure 3rd party developers is ticked.
I do not have that option in Big Sur. It's only "App Store" or "App Store and identified developers".
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
  #459
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Dynamics control balances the amount of transient-to-RMS material being compressed.
100% Dynamics would let all transients through and it's pretty audible.
It works the same as their Multiplicty plug, same as the Release %.
Release is balancing Log to linear release.
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
  #460
Gear Maniac
 
darkalex's Avatar
 
Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 ➡️
I do not have that option in Big Sur. It's only "App Store" or "App Store and identified developers".
https://support.apple.com/en-in/guid...lp/mh40616/mac
Old 4th March 2021 | Show parent
  #461
Lives for gear
 
dougb415's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by protools ➡️
Right click....Open....
We have a winner! Another of the mysteries of the Mac world, but this method basically asked me "Are you sure?" and installed with no problems. Thanks!
Old 4th March 2021 | Show parent
  #462
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalex ➡️
I installed the demo of Limitless on my DAW today after reading all the positive stuff about it on this forum

I don't know why but it just didn't work for me on any mix, even with 2-3 db of reduction on a -14RMS mix!

I didn't mess with what looks like multiband stuff in the middle and just messed with the threshold, release and the style settings and set the threshold and ceiling equal so as to evaluate what it's doing on the same loudness level

Man, rather than a proper brick wall, this limiter just squashed the peaks until they were under the ceiling, unlike the Pro-L2 which keeps the level intact while squashing it 'hard', for the lack of better words. Limitless works more like Waves L2, no matter what you do, it is not gonna crush the track, it rather kills the transient impact.

I tried it with the slowest/fastest release, in aggressive, punchy, transparent, smooth, but it didn't get me the loudness, it killed the snare in the mix.

What am I doing wrong?

This works well for all DMG products in general:

Start by turning off all but one of the split freqeuncy bands.

Set Dynamics to 0 and lookahead to 0. Smash the threshold, modestly.

Very slowly turn up the lookahead until you hear the desired amount of transients and high freq being diminished/compressed. It'll likely be around 0.33, 0.5, maybe up to 1ms.

Then reset your threshold to musical settings and readjust the Dynamics. If your song has weak transient material, you'll probably set Dynamics to 75%, allowing more transients to bleed through.
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
  #463
Here for the gear
 
Kiksuya's Avatar
Limitless ver. 1.12

New update 1.12

1.11->1.12

Add HQ oversample option for clipper to Advanced DSP Setup page.

Clipper dry path bypasses oversampling.

Fix potential crash in Wavelab on scanning or instancing.

Fix potential incorrect HPF frequency on loading project when sample rate is not 44.1kHz.

Fix plugin not processing automation during silence when VST3 "suspend in silence" option is enabled in Cubase/Nuendo.

Fix UI sizing on Windows when application is set to override DPI scaling.
Fix click on switching bypass state.

Fix locked param values not recalling correctly on loading plugin if preset was changed after locking.

Fix locked params showing incorrect values after switching AB banks.

Fix updating of track controls assigned to MIDI CCs in Reaper with VST3 version.

Fix potential crash when instancing VST3 version in Harrison Mixbus.

Update to new style load/save dialogs on Windows and fix initial path.

Wrap mouse when editing controls if mouse hiding enabled.

Fix UI zoom resetting on loading preset.

Fix incorrect VST2 plugin window size with DPI scaling on Windows if host uses effEditGetRect flag (e.g. Tracktion Waveform and Max/MSP).

Remove option to disable OpenGL on OSX and default to always enabled.

Fix rendering of faders and VU meter if scaled to something other than 100% or 200% on Windows.

Peak readouts are now sample accurate.

Fix mouse hiding not working on Windows after entering a parameter as text.

Fix band frequency not updating until mouse up when editing from band strip or tooltip.
Old 30th March 2021
  #464
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Confusing with the HQ Oversample option for the clipper since there was a function for this already? I'm lost.
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
  #465
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by melopie ➡️
Confusing with the HQ Oversample option for the clipper since there was a function for this already? I'm lost.
No, there was only oversampling. HQ oversampling is Dave’s oversampling he has been using since the revision of Essence.

I actually complained to him about Essence’s oversampling years back, and he fixed it. The revised version was added to Essence’s advanced preferences and is called “HQ oversampling.” It retains more high end and sounds closer to the source than the old oversampling which I personally never used. It is also the oversampling used with trackcomp2.

I bugged Dave for YEARS to include this oversampling option in the Limitless clipper. He finally did and sent me the beta and I loved it, but I noticed it definitely brightened things. I asked if there was a way to make the oversampling only affect the wet/sidechain, and this is the result. I think it sounds great. Definitely my favorite clipper on the market now by a WIDE margin. It’s available in the advanced preferences menu in Limitless.
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
  #466
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
No, there was only oversampling. HQ oversampling is Dave’s oversampling he has been using since the revision of Essence.

I actually complained to him about Essence’s oversampling years back, and he fixed it. The revised version was added to Essence’s advanced preferences and is called “HQ oversampling.” It retains more high end and sounds closer to the source than the old oversampling which I personally never used. It is also the oversampling used with trackcomp2.

I bugged Dave for YEARS to include this oversampling option in the Limitless clipper. He finally did and sent me the beta and I loved it, but I noticed it definitely brightened things. I asked if there was a way to make the oversampling only affect the wet/sidechain, and this is the result. I think it sounds great. Definitely my favorite clipper on the market now by a WIDE margin. It’s available in the advanced preferences menu in Limitless.
Oh I see. Thanks for the backstory and the interesting notes.
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
  #467
Gear Maniac
 
RitchieBorg's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Love limitless, but is there a way to gain compensate for quick A/B in it?
I know I can turn down the ceiling and link with threshold but then the LUFS meter becomes useless and I would like to be able to leave all the settings and just be able to gain match and A/B.
Old 2nd April 2021
  #468
Lives for gear
 
B Elgin's Avatar
 
There was a bug with the new HQ OS mode, sounded like the oversampled delta signal was not delay-compensated properly - 1.13 is out now which fixes it.

Cool update, I never gave much time to exploring the clipping as OVC-128 is so easy and fast and sounds great for the most part. I feel like there's good potential here with the Knee/2 or Swell3 algorithms, but still figuring out how they compare and what Soften brings to each. Knee1 is the most straightforward and familiar when coming from any other soft-to-hard clip tanh function algorithm.

Anyone use the Limitless clipper often and have more insight or starting points worth a try?
Old 2nd April 2021 | Show parent
  #469
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin ➡️
There was a bug with the new HQ OS mode, sounded like the oversampled delta signal was not delay-compensated properly - 1.13 is out now which fixes it.

Cool update, I never gave much time to exploring the clipping as OVC-128 is so easy and fast and sounds great for the most part. I feel like there's good potential here with the Knee/2 or Swell3 algorithms, but still figuring out how they compare and what Soften brings to each. Knee1 is the most straightforward and familiar when coming from any other soft-to-hard clip tanh function algorithm.

Anyone use the Limitless clipper often and have more insight or starting points worth a try?
I struggle with the Limitless clipper and like you I find OVC-128 much faster to setup (and 128X oversampling means it's cleaner than Limitless). But the Limitless clipper has more options.. I like the Swell3 the best, but I get bogged down in 'Drive' and other controls, trying to shave a few points of a decibel off the peaks, and adding makeup gain. OVC-128 takes seconds though.
Old 2nd April 2021
  #470
Lives for gear
 
B Elgin's Avatar
 
Here's some additional info from DMG directly:

Quote:
Regarding the different modes:

KNEE - hard clipping with Soften at 0, then tends towards the most commonly used saturation curve (tanh) as soften increases.

KNEE 2 - again hard clipping with Soften at 0, but as you increase soften, the transfer curve will have a truly linear section in the middle, with the size of the linear region decreasing as you increase the soften parameter.

SWELL 1 & 2 - a less common transfer curve shape, a bit less linear around 0. Same curve used for both, however Swell 1 hard clips whereas Swell 2 continues to apply the curve beyond the clipping point. Listen to what happens to the fundamental of a sine wave as you drive it past clipping point in each mode...you'll notice it start to decrease in level with Swell 2.

SWELL 3 - a different transfer curve calculation, not related to the other swell modes. Linear with Soften at 0, 'swells' the curve to an S shape as you increase Soften. Not surprised you find this one interesting!
It's definitely worth exploring the Soften control in each mode, as it changes things in rather different ways. I got some interesting results with Soften in Swell3 mode today, aggressive sounding odd-order harmonic tone that fit the track better than hard or soft clipping with Knee mode.

I'll need to take the time to A/B Knee and Swell3 against OVC, which seems to work on nearly any song here for 1-2dB.

Be sure to update to 1.13 to use the new HQ OS properly!

The update also inspired me to revisit experimenting with the band splitting, which I haven't done in ages. I'm liking the sound in 2 or 3 band mode with separation values <100% now, seems a bit more transparent especially with the right Dynamics and Threshold Sep amount.

Tuning the release and lookahead timings with a lower threshold and Dynamics at 100% works for me - the effect of Loudness weighting is easier to hear like this too. Then I gradually lower Dynamics by ear. That seems to mostly end up in the 25-30% range still, or 30-40 when a more audible limiting or subtle pump helps the music.
Old 2nd April 2021 | Show parent
  #471
Lives for gear
 
Have to admit I was enamored with Pro-L 2 (great interface / workflow) until recently when I A/B'd with trusty old Limitless and realized nope, Limitless is still the best. Classy graphics don't matter when sonic transparency is the ultimate goal.
Old 2nd April 2021
  #472
Lives for gear
 
Edward_Vinatea's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
It would be the greatest multi-band peak limiter if it only didn't have a RTA in its interface. </sarcasm>
Old 2nd April 2021 | Show parent
  #473
Gear Addict
 
mastervargas's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_Vinatea ➡️
It would be the greatest multi-band peak limiter if it only didn't have a RTA in its interface. </sarcasm>
you know you can change that, right?
Old 2nd April 2021 | Show parent
  #474
Lives for gear
 
Edward_Vinatea's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastervargas ➡️
you know you can change that, right?
Sorry, I meant display not interface. ;-)
Old 2nd April 2021 | Show parent
  #475
Lives for gear
 
Unless I'm doing something wrong, the latest Windows Combined Installed (all plugins multi-installer) installs Limitless V1.12, not V1.13...
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 62 views: 23560
Avatar for MarkyGoldstein
MarkyGoldstein 30th December 2014
replies: 1111 views: 230875
Avatar for RJHollins
RJHollins 3 weeks ago
replies: 50 views: 32711
Avatar for Deleted d78e603
Deleted d78e603 9th July 2017
replies: 181 views: 37486
Avatar for ~ufo~
~ufo~ 3rd April 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump