The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering Compressor Comparison (Audio Samples)
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Interesting Thread.
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
more files

I am in search for my next mastering compressor.

I compared my current compressors with the samples. I like quite a few but I think Dangerous will give me something special.

Sending samples from my current setup:

Manley Vari Mu (custom tubes)
Retro 176
Crane Song Trakker
Empirical Labs Mike-e

ALL going thru Apogee Symphony 2x6 SE

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pss8v6qw0...HR1gkcg3a?dl=0
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I don't know if it was added to the samples, but I recently investigated the Buzz Audio SOC 20, and it seems very interesting to me : All discrete opamp, mid side mode, beautifull construction

Is the SOC 1.1 equivalent but without MS mode I wonder...
Old 20th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone ➡️
Vilddyr was hosting the files but he hasn't been active here for a while and some of the latest additions haven't been added. I may have to take it back over and get it up to date. So just continue to post here in the thread and I will collate them.

I agree it would be great to have the L2M, VT7 as well as the G24 and even the Pollock. I reckon the latter two would be harder to show their range in static samples.

Nice to see this thread firing up again.
I can do the VT-7, but, unfortunately, not until mid-December. Selling my house/studio here in France and I'm here with minimal kit until the closing.
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi everyone, amazing thread thanks !

I've listened to all of them,

unfortunately the test of the Phoenix Thermionic Culture Mastering Edition is not stereo matched (especially on Electro track). and when trying to adjust it on Cubase, it doesn't sound good, I'm about to buy this unit and I'll be so happy if someone would be ok to process it again with perfect L/R match please ? If possible with the side chain on to boost low end )

Here the link of the original file : https://www.dropbox.com/s/bs8ib5jiuk...elOne.wav?dl=0

A big thanks I advance !
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Also is there anyone for the Chandler RS124 linked pair ?
Thanks!
Old 20th December 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Bump 😀

A nice offer is ending this December on Phoenix thermionic culture, anyone please to process the file with the mastering plus version ? 😀

Because the sample from the mastering version of this thread is not well balanced,
I like the sound of the normal version but the mastering has different valve so I don’t want to be disappointed

File : https://bit.ly/3oy97aQ
Many thanks 🙏
Old 31st January 2021
Gear Head
This is one of the most interesting GS trade
But I was surprise to see that no Smart Reserch c1/c2 Compressor’s audio files are included in the megafolder. I know it’s widely used for mixbus/mastering application... isn’t it?
Old 14th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Handcrafted Labs Islander

I've asked Yuriy from Handcrafted Labs to run these mixes through their Islander compressor and he got back to me with these two files.

Islander_FB_75Hz_MoreDry.wav
Islander_FF_FullRange_LessDry.wav

I thought you guys might appreciate them as well, as I've seen quite a bit of hype for this compressor on here.
Old 17th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Аmazing , i really liked the Knif compressors , also Pollock and SSL . It would be awesome if you add Wes Ngbus to this comparison !
Old 17th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by hool15 ➡️
Аmazing , i really liked the Knif compressors , also Pollock and SSL . It would be awesome if you add Wes Ngbus to this comparison !
Yeah! I’m also curious to hear the Wes ngbus comp!
Old 21st February 2021
M78
Here for the gear

It appears that the Crane Song STC files are corrupted, is there any way we can get them re-uploaded?
Old 22nd February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M78 ➡️
It appears that the Crane Song STC files are corrupted, is there any way we can get them re-uploaded?
That's done. They're now under Crane Song.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Here is the Locomotiv 14B ! https://app.box.com/s/4shjdffzmj25i2idtze6pcs6vg09ik5z
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
And also here : https://app.box.com/s/39616inyo1n9ca4kqs6heft5kmj62xm0

The Zener
Neve 33609
FATSO
CHISWICK

Hope you'll enjoy it!

Will someone to be kind to process ? Culture Vulture, HG2, Vertigo VM2 please ?
I know theses boxes are not Compressor but sometimes compressors used gently can be compared with Saturation boxes

Thanks !
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone uses Bettermaker Mastering Compressor?
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Dose anyone have the Chiswick Reach Compressor to add? *edit oh, its 2 posts above me, sorry!

Anyone have a Highland Dynamics BG1 to add?
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Edit - calibration necessary on one device.

Last edited by UH417; 5th March 2021 at 10:27 PM..
Old 12th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddd_r ➡️
Dose anyone have the Chiswick Reach Compressor to add? *edit oh, its 2 posts above me, sorry!

Anyone have a Highland Dynamics BG1 to add?
I second a request from any BG1 users! I’d love to hear it at some pretty wildly different settings.
Old 21st March 2021 | Show parent
Thank you all for your contribution. Here are two files of an original Bss 402 from the 90's. Equipment with original capacitors and noise floor at -80Dbfs. Two files with both set to 2: 1 ratio. Att and release at 20mS. One audio file has a gain reduction of -1.5db and another reducing it by -3db. Dual mono. De-ess and limiter off.

Among several glamorous equipments there are some that present a good standard of construction, resulting in solidity, reliability, low noise and musicality. Bss 402 is one of them. There is always room for him between my Vari-mu custon and Elysia comp.

Link to download the file.
https://we.tl/t-ZDiecJZAK3

site - https://mezalab.jimdofree.com/
https://www.instagram.com/meza_lab/?igshid=nsp3xn6gun99
Old 22nd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
AT 101

Did someone process the AT 101 ? Could be great to listen to this really high end unit
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Verified Member
whitestone p331?
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiotales ➡️
This is one of the most interesting GS trade
But I was surprise to see that no Smart Reserch c1/c2 Compressor’s audio files are included in the megafolder. I know it’s widely used for mixbus/mastering application... isn’t it?
Yeah, I’m also interested in hearing the Alan Smart C2 compressor

Indeed very popular on mixbus applications, especially for radio rock
Old 27th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
+1
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I just learned that Valerio Riccelli of Qes Labs passed away, some time ago now...May he rest in peace. I remember speaking with him by email as he used to build one of the most amazing sounding variable mu compressor I've ever heard.

Here's the video I came across 11 years ago (!!!) which made me discover this amazing unit. Even if the levels aren't matched, you can hear the gorgeous sound this thing has ♥

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQHymeiLCMo

A reminder that no one knows what tomorrow will be made of, and that we should all make the best of the time we have been given.

RIP Valerio.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➡️
I love my 14Bs! More people need to get hip to these.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With all due respect, all this shootout made me realize is that most compressors sound the same, and all of them sound good.

Now, I'm sure with different settings, they'd have a variety of different results, but within this test I see no reason to not just get the cheapest one that does what I need it to do.

The only one I heard much of a color or tone was the Compex. It sounded pumpy and like it rolled some high frequencies off the top end. I was listening on studio monitors and headphones.

This has been helpful however because now I know that's one less thing I should obsess over, and just get the one that has the features I need
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrio ➡️
With all due respect, all this shootout made me realize is that most compressors sound the same, and all of them sound good.

Now, I'm sure with different settings, they'd have a variety of different results, but within this test I see no reason to not just get the cheapest one that does what I need it to do.

The only one I heard much of a color or tone was the Compex. It sounded pumpy and like it rolled some high frequencies off the top end. I was listening on studio monitors and headphones.

This has been helpful however because now I know that's one less thing I should obsess over, and just get the one that has the features I need
as long as it's not a plugin
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Churlish ➡️
as long as it's not a plugin
I've got enough of those, that's for sure!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Is this thread strictly for compressors, or can it include other devices which compress the signal as a byproduct of processing (eg, a saturator)?
📝 Reply