Quantcast
Taiyo Yuden quitting disc business/New CMC Pro TY production news - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Taiyo Yuden quitting disc business/New CMC Pro TY production news
Old 11th June 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Taiyo Yuden quitting disc business/New CMC Pro TY production news

Announced today that JVC and Taiyo Yuden will exit the CD-R and DVD manufacturing business in December 2015.
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
12 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
Announced today that JVC and Taiyo Yuden will exit the CD-R and DVD manufacturing business in December 2015.
Time to stock up I guess unless there is another suitable media?

The quality of the TY discs since JVC acquired them has gone down anyway, so what are most people using these days?
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
still been using the TY's.

I've not measured any quality loss or issues.

I'll be stocking up for sure !

As a backup disk, I've been using the PHILLIPS disc with my Plextor drive. No issue there.
Old 12th June 2015
Deleted 49af092
I have a nearly full stack of 100 JVC/TY discs and at the rate I've been using them in the last two years, this stack may last until 2020. One more stack would easily get me into the 2020's I think.

I'm just not doing many physical masters anymore. Weeks and sometimes months go by at this point without even touching the Plextor CD writers.

I'm busier than ever yet making fewer and fewer physical masters than ever. That's a win/win.

Last edited by Deleted 49af092; 12th June 2015 at 03:55 AM..
Old 12th June 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hey Plush - can you post a link? Not arguing, just like to be able to reference the source. Cheers.
Old 12th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
12 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️
still been using the TY's.

I've not measured any quality loss or issues.

I'll be stocking up for sure !

As a backup disk, I've been using the PHILLIPS disc with my Plextor drive. No issue there.
A few people, myself included noticed quite a bit more C1 errors say around 1.4 to 2% compared to 0.4 - 0.7%

Still well within acceptable tolerances but an increase all the same.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperkinski ➡️
I have a nearly full stack of 100 JVC/TY discs and at the rate I've been using them in the last two years, this stack may last until 2020. One more stack would easily get me into the 2020's I think.

I'm just not doing many physical masters anymore. Weeks and sometimes months go by at this point without even touching the Plextor CD writers.

I'm busier than ever yet making fewer and fewer physical masters than ever. That's a win/win.
Ditto. I bought 2x 100 stacks a couple years ago when I saw them on sale, I think I've used 2 or 3 discs since then. I have a feeling what I have now will outlast me
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Yes, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Not a problem here, as most folks I rarely use them and a still have a few hundreds stocked just in case.
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray ➡️
A few people, myself included noticed quite a bit more C1 errors say around 1.4 to 2% compared to 0.4 - 0.7%

Still well within acceptable tolerances but an increase all the same.
Yes same here but we have had some rare exceptions where it went back to pre-JVC figures. It has been a bit all over the place.
Old 12th June 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Here is the link to that announcement http://promediaworld.com/docs/Victor...nouncement.pdf
Old 13th June 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Genuine question: has anyone ever had a TY disc, new or old rejected? I have never had a single cd master rejected in 6 years...
Old 13th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness ➡️
I have never had a single cd master rejected in 6 years...
That's a sure way to jinx yourself ; )
Old 13th June 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Very odd how big corporations work, if they don't see enough profit and growth, they'll kill the model, rather than maintain the status quo for a small niche of buyers. <roll>

Reminds me of back when 3M decided to quit making audio tape, or when Ampex quit making tape machines.

We still burn lots of discs for clients, at their request, something comforting about a hard copy.

However the DDP delivery of masters is preferable.

I've seen many TY discs with C2 errors, but very few if any CU errors.

Even a single C2, and I won't use it as a master, but it's fine for Ref.

We'll see if TY JVC actually quits making CD-rs, or wether it's just another internet rumor.

Although that PDF looks fairly legit.

Best, JT

Last edited by Jerry Tubb; 13th June 2015 at 02:37 PM..
Old 13th June 2015
Lives for gear

Have any of you researched doing custom Flash Drives for clients for hard copies? Obviously way more expensive, but perhaps more relevant to the times we now live in. Many laptops, which seem to have become the tool of choice these days, don't come stock with with DVD drives.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix ➡️
Have any of you researched doing custom Flash Drives for clients for hard copies? Obviously way more expensive, but perhaps more relevant to the times we now live in. Many laptops, which seem to have become the tool of choice these days, don't come stock with with DVD drives.
Good idea - maybe I'll stock up on cheap thumb drives for clients who don't already have one. Maybe with my company name on them. Any idea where to get some? [Edit] - found this: https://flashcoast.com/quickquote.ht...NAEaAl3x8P8HAQ

I'm also going to stock way up on TY CDRs - I still go through a lot of them here - many clients like having a PMCD and listening copy in addition to DDP and files.

Hopefully GS Mastering Forum will provide good info on replacement media by the time they run out...
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb ➡️
Very odd how big corporations work, if they don't see enough profit and growth, they'll kill the model, rather than maintain the status quo for a small niche of buyers.
This is the problem with all mass-produced technology. Digital technology is only affordable when produced in massive quantities. Production lines eventually wear out and decisions need to be made about making serious investments in extending their life. I suspect the assembly lines for player parts have started being abandoned for some time.
Deleted 49af092
Quote:
Last year I ordered about 75 or 100 USB drives from Disc Makers with my studio name/logo on it. On my web form, I offer an option for clients to order a USB archive of all their mastering related files after the project is done, and I usually throw the original unmastered mixes on there too so they have everything in one place.

I'd say about 10% of clients order the USB drive but it's not real common since it's nothing they can't download themselves from Dropbox links.

Last edited by Deleted 49af092; 13th June 2015 at 09:57 PM..
Old 13th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MAM-A Inc., The Gold Standard
Old 14th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes! We obtained a quantity of custom labelled USB flash drive last year.

They've been very popular with our clients.

And with our name on them, clients remeber where they came from.

We'll also put wave files and the DDP image on the attending clients HDD.

Still, many want hard copy CD-Rs as well.

Best, JT
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Even USB as we know it will likely morph into USB 3.1 and thunderbolt 3 on a single USB C type connector:
https://thunderbolttechnology.net/bl...-c-does-it-all

The next thing keeps coming along increasingly faster than I can type the words "I can't keep up."
Old 14th June 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Yes....it's a downloadable, cloud based, MP3 kinda world now......and we'll all get by without TY or even CDRs. However, just because you think "Oh. I'll just get another brand"......be aware that rebranded Taiyo Yuden CDs AND DVDs can be found as JVC, Fujifilm, Fusion, Maxell, Miflop, Panasonic, Plextor, Sony, TDK, and Verbatim Corporation brands.

So while there are other brands we as users can find for awhile (Probably Phillips manufactured), or use other methods to deliver to clients or duplicators......wonder what this means to short run duplication? I know one respectable sized company in particular that swears they only get reliable runs with TY discs. I suspect that might be in part experience and in part just superstition. But short runs (those under 1000 discs which make molding financially feasable) are most commonly done to CDRs.
Old 14th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is a real problem for classical music where people still buy and play CD's in a CD player, still want recordings produced on CD and still distribute CD's of work to each other.

Working with files, streaming, compression and formats, media centres, network storage, tablets, phones (god forbid!) and computers is a complete bore to many people and it stands in the way of simply "putting a record on". CD's solve this problem for many who are uninterested in messing with overly fandangled geeky nonsense.

So I will be stocking up.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey ➡️
The next thing keeps coming along increasingly faster than I can type the words "I can't keep up."
Yep, I think it's a marketing ploy!

Aimed at those who smugly keep up with the newest incarnations.

The paint is still wet on OSX Yosemite, but here comes El Capitan!

Meanwhile my DAWs both run OSX Snow Leopard.

Brings to mind the old axiom:

"If it works it's obsolete"

Best, JT
Old 15th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
This is a real problem for classical music where people still buy and play CD's in a CD player, still want recordings produced on CD and still distribute CD's of work to each other.

Working with files, streaming, compression and formats, media centres, network storage, tablets, phones (god forbid!) and computers is a complete bore to many people and it stands in the way of simply "putting a record on". CD's solve this problem for many who are uninterested in messing with overly fandangled geeky nonsense.

So I will be stocking up.
You are exactly right about this.

I also find that the Jazz groups are wanting CD's.

The question becomes ... What happens at the 'CD Release' parties
Deleted 49af092
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️

The question becomes ... What happens at the 'CD Release' parties
CDs can still be manufactured w/o a CD- R master, but the need for physical CD-R reference copies or masters is dwindling fast. I don't see manufactured CDs going away until closer to 2025 or so at the very soonest.

Disc Makers and the local CD manufacturer near me now take DDP for replication and duplication orders so it's extremely rare that I'm making CD-R masters, and thanks to HOFA DDP Player Maker, clients can burn all the reference CD-R discs they want on their own.

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperkinski ➡️
…Which I think probably explains their exit from the business! I've got a stack and a half that could last forever based on my current burn rate.
Old 16th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
This is the problem with all mass-produced technology. Digital technology is only affordable when produced in massive quantities. Production lines eventually wear out and decisions need to be made about making serious investments in extending their life. I suspect the assembly lines for player parts have started being abandoned for some time.
Yes, reminds me of the old axiom-

"The needs of the many (or lack thereof) outweigh the needs of the few!"

I suspect if & when the supplies of TY run out, we'll switch to Mitsui Gold and never bat an eye.

Best, JT
Old 16th June 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Interesting article

http://www.techwaredist.com/wordpres...ordable-media/

Best, JT
Old 16th June 2015 | Show parent
Motown legend

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb ➡️
...I suspect if & when the supplies of TY run out, we'll switch to Mitsui Gold and never bat an eye...
This assumes they are still in production. I wouldn't assume anything about the future of optical media.
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
There was an article not too long ago about all the other companies that JVC/TY made disc for so I guess this will be the end of those other companies optical disc sales capabilities as well. Interesting list here The Taiyo Yuden FAQ - Club Myce. Lots of BIG names. This maybe a watershed event.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…