The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mastering plugin of 2015
Old 19th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Actually never thought about doing manual gain reduction in the editor for EDM. Cool gotta try that myself.
Old 20th July 2015 | Show parent
Reviews Editor

Verified Member
144 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighEnd ➑️
Is this Steinberg Limiter as part of Wavelab 8 plugins? It is not included in Cubase 8, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering ➑️
Correct, only part of WL8
It's included on Cubase, if I'm not mistaken since v6 or 7 but it's definitely on Pro 8.
Old 20th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering ➑️
Even -6rms EDM tracks have their desired loudness before hitting the limiter.

I would imagine there would be some heavy clipping going on in this situation?
Old 31st July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Sorry to jump in late but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray ➑️
Conclusion... Equilibrium doesn't oversample at lower SR's and as such performs considerably better at 2x FS. The UAD MDW is oversampling with very high quality conversion which yields a superior result at 1x FS compared to Equilibrium. I've always upsampled my source files offline with a high quality SRC to enjoy the benefit higher SR's has to offer in regards to digital processing so I hadn't noticed that Equilibrium sounded worse at 1x FS.

I also think this might very well be the UAD 'secret' over the native counterparts. That they maybe oversampling all plugins on that platform with high quality SRC to yield a superior result for sessions that are running at 44.1kHz or 48kHz. I think beyond 48kHz there would be a far lower improvement if any at all.
... are you using FIR for this?

When people talk about oversampling EQs, they're talking about IIRs, not FIRs.
With IIR, it is true that designing shapes that match analogue prototypes is easier at higher samplerates, and oversampling is a way of throwing CPU at the problem. That's what the MDW does. That's what Weiss does. Upsample, IIR, Downsample. EQuilibrium has a metric ton of code in there to get better results for IIR /without/ upsampling. That's been measured, gawked at and talked about before, but that's not the topic here. And anyway, if it doesn't pass muster, you have Digital+, Digital+Phase and the entire FIR suite as options.

For an FIR, however, it's *literally meaningless* to oversample. The upsampling and downsampling filters are going to be FIR. So you'd have FIR->FIR->FIR. Well, that's just another FIR. The maths all cancels out, save for the inaccuracies in your anti-aliasing filter designs, which just serve to mess up the top end a bit.

TL;DR: If you're hearing better results with EQuilibrium in FIR mode at 96k then you want to halve your FIR length at 48k. Try giving the window parameter a nudge too.

Dave.
Old 1st August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
12 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble ➑️
Hi Dave, this was all mentioned in the email I sent you a while back but no it wasn't FIR it was IIR as this was the closest way to match Equilibirium with MDW as it uses IIR as you mentioned. FIR has a sound which doesn't suit everything and generally isn't as 'focused' as IIR. Most of the time when I'm using Equilibrium it's in IIR mode. Occasionally I like using FIR mode with the Sontec models when I'm looking for something more smooth but then the Analog EQ's I have generally sound better at this task than FIR for most things. IIR is very useful for surgical work and is more focused and less 'processed' sounding. I always use Equilibrium at 96kHz so IIR sounds great but at 1xFS I prefer MDW and my testing with Polybonk proved that the oversampling was what made the difference and why I suggested it as a possible option to add for the user even if it's only for the IIR mode.
Old 1st August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sorry to jump in late but...

When people talk about oversampling EQs, they're talking about IIRs, not FIRs.
With IIR, it is true that designing shapes that match analogue prototypes is easier at higher samplerates, and oversampling is a way of throwing CPU at the problem. That's what the MDW does. That's what Weiss does. Upsample, IIR, Downsample. EQuilibrium has a metric ton of code in there to get better results for IIR /without/ upsampling. That's been measured, gawked at and talked about before, but that's not the topic here. And anyway, if it doesn't pass muster, you have Digital+, Digital+Phase and the entire FIR suite as options.

For an FIR, however, it's *literally meaningless* to oversample. The upsampling and downsampling filters are going to be FIR. So you'd have FIR->FIR->FIR. Well, that's just another FIR. The maths all cancels out, save for the inaccuracies in your anti-aliasing filter designs, which just serve to mess up the top end a bit.

TL;DR: If you're hearing better results with EQuilibrium in FIR mode at 96k then you want to halve your FIR length at 48k. Try giving the window parameter a nudge too.

Dave.
Beautiful information. Golden for a firm user of your Eq. Thanks.
Old 2nd August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi Dave, this was all mentioned in the email I sent you a while back but no it wasn't FIR it was IIR as this was the closest way to match Equilibirium with MDW as it uses IIR as you mentioned. FIR has a sound which doesn't suit everything and generally isn't as 'focused' as IIR. Most of the time when I'm using Equilibrium it's in IIR mode. Occasionally I like using FIR mode with the Sontec models when I'm looking for something more smooth but then the Analog EQ's I have generally sound better at this task than FIR for most things. IIR is very useful for surgical work and is more focused and less 'processed' sounding. I always use Equilibrium at 96kHz so IIR sounds great but at 1xFS I prefer MDW and my testing with Polybonk proved that the oversampling was what made the difference and why I suggested it as a possible option to add for the user even if it's only for the IIR mode.
Not sure what I replied in that email, since it was a while ago, but it's probably worth mentioning that Digital+Phase effectively IS the same thing as oversampling (with all the maths flattened out) but with a MUCH better cpu-cost/performance ratio.
Old 15th August 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
it would be intresting to check the sir eq vs mdw , it offfer 2x and 4x oversampling for symmetric behavior near the Nyquist-frequency and some settings on the resampling that i don't understand..

http://www.siraudiotools.com/StandardEQ.php
Old 17th August 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not sure what I replied in that email, since it was a while ago, but it's probably worth mentioning that Digital+Phase effectively IS the same thing as oversampling (with all the maths flattened out) but with a MUCH better cpu-cost/performance ratio.
That's some of the best info ever (for this layman)! I often wondered why some emulations were so soul/cpu sucking. I have an older machine and honestly often have to weigh keeping the energy in the track and the mix, by bounce or not. Nice to have one of my first tier plugs that does the job and doesn't send the cpu into screaming fits!
Old 29th August 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
i recently used:

Stereo Summing:
1. Acustica Titanium 3B (danish Multiband)
2. Acustica Scarlet EQ (Sontec-like)
3. FF Pro-L

Busses:
Drums: Acustica Magenta and TT 1B parallel

...and it sounded great!
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
HOFA IQ Limiter
Barrat audio Equavescent EQ
DMG Audio Essence

Outstanding plugs.
Old 1st September 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
My 2015 itb chain is
DMG Equick for surgery eqing + hpf+lpf and side lowcut to monoize lower freqs
PRO-MB for taming harsh highs and pushy freqs and controling subbass
Waves SSL/API2500/Kotelnikov for dynamic profile
Waves API550b for colour eqing
PRO-L for clipping/limiting/maximization
Barricade 3 for ISP protection

So, as many of these plugins were already available ealier than 2015, i would say the best ones released in 2015 are Pro-MB and Kotelnikov

Last edited by Precision Studio; 4th September 2015 at 04:01 PM..
Old 1st September 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
PLPAR EQ maybe (still for 2015). NONOISE 3 for restoration (and the whole Sonic Studio restoration package).
Old 1st September 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes two DAWs, two sound cards and two sets of converters in the one machine. Not exactly the cheapest way to work but it's all about the quality of the end product.

Yes but that's not where I need a lot of gain make up, so it's fine running at 44.1.
Well done Matt! 44.100 seems to work best with most converters (best SNR), provided they use proper filters. Metric Halo LIO 8 works fine, the same way. Two DAWs is the way to go, as some processors (plpar eq), are incompatible with better mastering DAWs (soundblade). So starting with compatible ones (sequoia), and ending to the former, after the ad-da loop (through external boxes, not straight), seems a good compromise, than being restrained to soundblade compatible processors. Of course there is DMG; just to my perception, plpar seems somewhat more even (low end). Slightly though. Anyway, the workflow you described, maybe the most appropriate, yet most time consuming way to go.
Old 6th September 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hi All:

I'd appreciate opinions on the best plugin broadband compressor for (don't cringe) orchestral/concert band mastering. My client wants the quieter passages audible in her car(!), even though she went to an extraordinary length to create them in the first place. I'm trying to satisfy her with gentle volume automation, but just in case, might need a pristine broadband compressor for some slight parallel compression. I have a number of mix compressors (Waves, PSP, UAD, etc.), and the Waves Linear Multiband, but I'd rather not alter the spectral balance by using a multiband. The new Elysia Alpha Compressor by either Brainworx or UAD looks promising for this sort of thing. Any opinions on the best compressor for my needs?

Thanks,

Robert Cartwright
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Have you tried the TDR Kotelnikov? Probably the cleanest sounding compressor I've ever used.
Old 6th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You can try DMG Compassion and/or Essence!
Old 8th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 15 years
Fab Filter C2
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i am getting really satisfying results with the MJUC mk3 in parallel and the Sknote Shadow Hills bit nice openness from the analog in the box massive passive and i don't feel the need of any outboard.
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Equavescent eq.
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Plugins I tend to reach for ITB, when needed:

UAD Precision De-Esser (hi frequency limiting)
Equilibrium, usually in IIR
Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov Compressor
FF ProL for limiting on individual tracks to get levels matched across a project/album
Izotope Ozone 5 for final DC Offset and dither for printing.

Of course there are other things I reach for from time to time, but these tend to be my favorites.
Old 28th September 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
No love for the UAD Precision Limiter?
Old 28th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith ➑️
Have you tried the TDR Kotelnikov? Probably the cleanest sounding compressor I've ever used.
Too true. I finally got around to testing this thing and it feels like the meters are lying. FDR is a massive contribution to audio processing. Certainly a frontrunner for 'best plugin' actually released in 2015.

A quick aside: the manual doesn't explain how FDR is implemented. Is it a filter in the sidechain? Fabien?
Old 28th September 2015
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Think of it as an inversed eq on the delta/ difference signal

Cheers

Conundra
Old 28th September 2015
Tokyo Dawn Labs

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Yes, exactly.

From the philosophical point of view, FDR shapes the compressor's "action" (which you can hear by pressing delta), whereby a sidechain EQ (such as the low-relax section in Kotelnikov) affects the compressor's "reaction". No rocket science, both are basically EQs. A crucial aspect of the FDR filter however is that of keeping phase shift within a tight window, hence the limited amount of freedom it offers when "drawing" FDR curves.

Interestingly, making the SC and FDR response equal would be equivalent to a single-band MBC. Kotelnikov just offers a different perspective.

PS: Flowers are highly appreciated SmoothTone!

Last edited by FabienTDR; 28th September 2015 at 04:53 PM..
Old 28th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
On the praise side of things when it comes to Kotelnikov, which is my only software compressor: It's somewhat remarkable that it does not destroy most audio when crossing the -safe border- of gain reduction or so to speak.
It can deliver a little extra compared to all software compressors and many hardware alikes. Wonder if a mix knob is considered for future versions? I know it's possible to do parallel already but sometimes it's much quicker to -test- results with a dedicated
mix knob.
Lives for gear

Verified Member
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra ➑️
Think of it as an inversed eq on the delta/ difference signal

Cheers

Conundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR ➑️
Yes, exactly.

From the philosophical point of view, FDR shapes the compressor's "action" (which you can hear by pressing delta), whereby a sidechain EQ (such as the low-relax section in Kotelnikov) affects the compressor's "reaction". No rocket science, both are basically EQs. A crucial aspect of the FDR filter however is that of keeping phase shift within a tight window, hence the limited amount of freedom it offers when "drawing" FDR curves.

Interestingly, making the SC and FDR response equal would be equivalent to a single-band MBC. Kotelnikov just offers a different perspective.

PS: Flowers are highly appreciated SmoothTone!
Thanks guys.

It may not be rocket science Fabien, but FDR is a truly original concept. I can see it opening up lots of creative possibilities for developers.

Dom
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Speaking about this comp, if i understand correctly the gentleman's edition (clever name btw ) is basically the same algorithm than the freeware but with extra added features ?

Edit : my question here is : can i demo the overall "sound" of the gain reduction device or is it not the exact same algorithm between the two ?

Thx in advance
Old 28th September 2015
Tokyo Dawn Labs

Verified Member
🎧 10 years
It's exactly the same compression algorithm, minus the options exclusive to GE (FDR, Yin/Yang, Insane mode, etc).
Old 29th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR ➑️
It's exactly the same compression algorithm, minus the options exclusive to GE (FDR, Yin/Yang, Insane mode, etc).
Thx a lot Fabien, just downloaded it and will check this puppy
πŸ“ Reply