Quantcast
All in one Mastering plug ins - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
All in one Mastering plug ins
Old 28th February 2014
  #1
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
All in one Mastering plug ins

So I'm looking for mastering plugs that have multiple adjustable parameters on one plug in. The only two I am aware of is Voxengo Elephant and Ozone 5. Can you name and suggest some others that are high in quality?
Old 28th February 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Jonathan Race's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I wouldn't compare those 2. Yes Elephant is quite a flexible limiter with different modes etc but that's all, if you're expecting to be able to use compression, eq etc then you aren't going to get it from that plugin the same way you would with Ozone
Old 28th February 2014
  #3
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
...the t rex master suite is a very warm and useful all in one master plug in....
never heard of the elephant, though....

using ozone....but only for quick and dirty squeezing....took me a year to find out i better only use the brickwall limiting, which is really good here, and leave the rest off....
for a first impression it's a very good tool....

but real mastering happens somewhere else....
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
That's T-Racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeloy ➑️
...the t rex master suite is a very warm and useful all in one master plug in....
never heard of the elephant, though....

using ozone....but only for quick and dirty squeezing....took me a year to find out i better only use the brickwall limiting, which is really good here, and leave the rest off....
for a first impression it's a very good tool....

but real mastering happens somewhere else....
The T-Racks (IK Multimedia) mastering suite?
Old 28th February 2014
  #5
Gear Nut
 
dreamachine's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
fgx is cool
Old 1st March 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
In all honesty, I think to some degree software suits like ozone are primarily there for companies to make a quick buck.. Some elements of the tools have a great purpose. But good amount of the stuff in there is destructive, for example the tap saturator and maximizer..

Mastering is all about a second opinion with a good ear and good tools to make adjustments in accordance to what is observed.
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umulamahri ➑️
In all honesty, I think to some degree software suits like ozone are primarily there for companies to make a quick buck.. Some elements of the tools have a great purpose. But good amount of the stuff in there is destructive, for example the tap saturator and maximizer..

Mastering is all about a second opinion with a good ear and good tools to make adjustments in accordance to what is observed.
You may be surprised at how many mastering engineers use Ozone 5. It can be a powerful tool in the right hands.

My personal favourite is the Fab Filter bundle, much prefer the GUI.
Old 1st March 2014
  #8
Lives for gear
 
teebaum's Avatar
i make sometimes masters for a company, who make music for tv spots & the ask me for a solution, where they can just load a plugin into they're masterbus. the need to be very flexible and quick, when they're costumer need a new version.
the audiophile needs for this are a bit less high than for a pure music mastering, but they like that a mastering engineer bring in a new perspective and approve the mix.
i send them now some presets for ozone 5, r128 for tv, a setting for youtube etc.
i think ozone5 is the best solution in this case.
Old 1st March 2014
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
Chris Chapelle's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
My personal favourite is the Fab Filter bundle, much prefer the GUI.
+1
Old 1st March 2014
  #10
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Great points guys, yeah my comments were geared towards traditional music audio mastering.. I can see how software has revolutionized work flow in other markets..

I personally use ozone5 sometimes, But only the EQ in stain alone mode.. Not the whole suit.. I have a hard time recommending such a potentially destructive suit to most people.
Old 2nd March 2014
  #11
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
We use the Ozone 5 maximizer often. setting the link/release/and exact amount of limiting can make or break a mix. done right the mix sounds better. it's a way better tool than L3 ( which i hate the sound of ) but simpler and easier to use than the FabFilter ( which i like the sound of ). It's a little better at being loud than the Massey L2007.

the rest of the tools leave much to be desired. the eq is grainy. the harmonics are silly and not very constructive. the lim/comp/exp is way more plugin than anyone should be using to really master music, and the verb can be useful on a subgroup but again i would almost never add verb in mastering.

But if you are a pass fail audio student trying to steal gigs from professionals it's a great tool that at least works and is well written ( all be it a little hogging in the CPU department)

the other thing in ozone 5 we use daily is the left right balance view and the nice multi view metering in the meter bridge section.
Old 2nd March 2014
  #12
Lives for gear
 
MusicJesus's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
This isn't "mastering" β€” it's "loudening".

Often mistaken by the unknowing.
Old 2nd March 2014
  #13
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Why is this in the Beginners section?

Did Rumsfeld move it here?
Old 2nd March 2014
  #14
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Not out of line to move this topic here.. K man


I agree that most plug in eq's sound grainy. Only time I find my self using one is in M/S mode to slightly change the mix balance predominantly in the 200hz-2khz range.. If needed..

I do most boosting / cutting the analogue domain, 98% of the time it sounds much better.. For example, using units like the manley mini massive for high freq boosting always sounds better..
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umulamahri ➑️
Not out of line to move this topic here.. K man


I agree that most plug in eq's sound grainy. Only time I find my self using one is in M/S mode to slightly change the mix balance predominantly in the 200hz-2khz range.. If needed..

I do most boosting / cutting the analogue domain, 98% of the time it sounds much better.. For example, using units like the manley mini massive for high freq boosting always sounds better..
I don't know, just seems like a question that could reasonably be brought up by mastering engineers with 7 or 70 years experience, hence my wonderment of it being placed in the "beginners".
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
FyLe ForMatz's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAllianceEast! ➑️
the rest of the tools leave much to be desired
right.

i feel the same way about Alloy 2...kinda cheap-ish feeling...

not one of those GO TO plug ins at all.
Old 10th March 2014
  #17
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 ➑️
So I'm looking for mastering plugs that have multiple adjustable parameters on one plug in. The only two I am aware of is Voxengo Elephant and Ozone 5. Can you name and suggest some others that are high in quality?
I'm curious as to why one plugin?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 68 views: 15857
Avatar for Glenn Bucci
Glenn Bucci 8th September 2007
replies: 476 views: 112693
Avatar for csj
csj 31st January 2016
replies: 512 views: 145297
Avatar for beechstudio
beechstudio 10th April 2012
replies: 314 views: 48903
Avatar for Deleted 2c0affd80e87ff6
Deleted 2c0affd80e87ff6 18th May 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump