Quantcast
Is self plagiarism ok? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is self plagiarism ok?
Old 26th December 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Is self plagiarism ok?

Many institutions do more than frown on self-plagiarism. What do you think; is it ok to plagiarize yourself?
Old 26th December 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hell, Hans Zimmer built an entire career on it.
Old 26th December 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
It seems he often steals from himself, When those earlier compositions were sold (whole or in part) to someone else and then he re-purposes parts into a new film; I guess its like double dipping. If the owners don't care probably nothing will ever happen. In school, if you reuse you own words you have to 'cite' your original paper otherwise they say you are plagiarizing yourself so funny...
Old 2nd January 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave ➡️
Many institutions do more than frown on self-plagiarism. What do you think; is it ok to plagiarize yourself?
I don't know which institutions you're referring to, but I've never heard of any composer frowning on self-plagiarizing.

Your repertoire isn't just your legacy; it's also your toolbox.
Old 2nd January 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
As long as you don't find out about it, I guess you are ok.
Old 2nd January 2019 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama ➡️
As long as you don't find out about it, I guess you are ok.
...or as long as you're not the litigious sort.

Er, um, I mean as long as you're not the self-litigious sort.
Old 3rd January 2019 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama ➡️
As long as you don't find out about it, I guess you are ok.
Makes me think of this:

YouTube


(sorry for not using embed but unfortunately GS doesn't let you use the time setting where you can post a video starting at a specific time)
Old 3rd January 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Its considered cheating if you don't correctly cite yourself as the source in many universities and colleges on term papers etc. It sounds weird but the times are a changing. What if you have 2 personalities?
Old 6th June 2021
  #9
Gear Head
 
Wire Grind's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
At the end of the title, just add the word "REMIX."

Seriously though, I've known of a lot of bands that recycle some of their older material, and sometimes they call it a remix. Others might call it version II, or, if it is that different, they re-brand it as a new track all together. I think it's okay so long as no one thinks that they've been deceived or cheated.
Old 6th June 2021 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Grind ➡️
At the end of the title, just add the word "REMIX."

Seriously though, I've known of a lot of bands that recycle some of their older material, and sometimes they call it a remix. Others might call it version II, or, if it is that different, they re-brand it as a new track all together. I think it's okay so long as no one thinks that they've been deceived or cheated.
It is not OK mainstream... more so everyday RLOL! I agree with you - if you are not a 'scholar' no harm - no foul... big bro ~
Old 6th June 2021
  #11
Here for the gear
 
commerce's Avatar
 
Lack of inspiration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave ➡️
Many institutions do more than frown on self-plagiarism. What do you think; is it ok to plagiarize yourself?
No, it is a capital offense.
Old 6th June 2021 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by commerce ➡️
No, it is a capital offense.
RLOL!
Old 6th June 2021
  #13
Lives for gear
 
of course
Old 6th June 2021 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
depends entirely on the context: in academia/science, it's a no-go (has always been); in arts, plagiarism (or actually the difficulties to protect your own work) is a much bigger issue than self-plagiarism; in politics it is used to underline one's own principledness; in many other areas of life it is simply boring...

"Der Wert eines Gedanken mißt sich an seiner Distanz von der Kontinuität des Bekannten" (Thedodor W. Adorno) - in 'minima moralia' iirc; i'm too lazy to look it up...
Old 6th June 2021 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
depends entirely on the context: in academia/science, it's a no-go (has always been); in arts, plagiarism (or actually the difficulties to protect your own work) is a much bigger issue than self-plagiarism; in politics it is used to underline one's own principledness; in many other areas of life it is simply boring...

"Der Wert eines Gedanken mißt sich an seiner Distanz von der Kontinuität des Bekannten" (Thedodor W. Adorno) - in 'minima moralia' iirc; i'm too lazy to look it up...
In America universities are now often citing self-plagiarism... it is a big issue (I don't agree with it if you haven't 'given' or sold your copyrights to another entity) I am not sure about other countries that much....
Old 7th June 2021 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
here, it only can become an issue if you do it too often but in any case, you must quote correctly and cite the source, even if it is yourself.
Old 7th June 2021 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
depends entirely on the context: in academia/science, it's a no-go (has always been); in arts, plagiarism (or actually the difficulties to protect your own work) is a much bigger issue than self-plagiarism; in politics it is used to underline one's own principledness; in many other areas of life it is simply boring...

"Der Wert eines Gedanken mißt sich an seiner Distanz von der Kontinuität des Bekannten" (Thedodor W. Adorno) - in 'minima moralia' iirc; i'm too lazy to look it up...
I'm assuming (based on the subject of the forum) that the context is music production of music, and that the word "self" indicates it your own work (which you own) and not others work or work you have sold to others (which you would not own and would not be covered under the word "self").
Old 7th June 2021 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto ➡️
I'm assuming (based on the subject of the forum) that the context is music production of music, and that the word "self" indicates it your own work (which you own) and not others work or work you have sold to others (which you would not own and would not be covered under the word "self").
could well be: as i teach a bit, i was refering to academia where the rules are quite clear.

nevertheless, having a big ego/being self-referential/self-plagiarism may become an issue in other circles as well but without a specific example and some context, we can only continue to speculate...
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump