Quantcast
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings - Page 216 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 20th October 2021
Gear Guru

For a bit less, Beesneez 87 if you don't need it to be a Multi-Pattern, is a fine alternative.
Both great choices IMHO.
Chris
Old 20th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop ➡️
I only started following the last few pages and my condolences to the community.

I recently passed up a $350 used Miktek C7, which I know has tone switches and there is also a Lauten Audio $1600 mic that has them, as well.

I know this thread is specifically about 3u, but maybe this helps someone that doesn't want to order a mic from China or something and is looking for switchable mic tones.

I don't have experience with them or 3u. But I'm shopping.
The Lauten fc-387 Capsule, which might be the largest I’ve heard of in any mic, is made in China. That mic is really nice and has mastered the tone switch thing. It’s also much much more expensive than the Warbler mics. I’m not sure I’d consider the Lauten fc 387 Atlantis affordable and definitely wouldn’t think of it as “low end”.

The 3U build quality isn’t the same, but it will hang with the Atlantis and won’t get beat by miles I think

Last edited by Ox Han; 3 weeks ago at 09:52 PM..
Old 20th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Made in China does not mean crap. 3U and Lauten prove this,
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
The Lauten fc-387 Capsule, which might be the largest I’ve heard of in any mic, is made in China. That mic is really nice and has mastered the tone switch thing. It’s also much much more expensive than the Warbler mics. I’m. It sure I’d consider the Lauten fc 387 Atlantis affordable and definitely wouldn’t think of it as “low end”.

The 3U build quality isn’t the same, but it will hang with the Atlantis and won’t get beat by miles I think
Aston Starlight also has tone switch, but it's an SDC.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
Made in China does not mean crap. 3U and Lauten prove this,
3U, Lauten, SE, Miktek, and Lewitt all make very capable, professional-level gear, and as far as I know all those capsules are made in China – and except for Lauten and Miktek, the entire mic is. Made in China does not, indeed, mean crap, and that country's significant development in the last couple decades means they're able to manufacture very high-quality electronics.

Of course, there ARE still numerous bottom-budget mics (and everything else) made in China, too. So it pays to do research and know what you're getting.
Old 20th October 2021
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
ADK also makes some rather beautiful sounding capsules in China. Some hint that there might be a 3U audio involvement.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
ADK also makes some rather beautiful sounding capsules in China. Some hint that there might be a 3U audio involvement.
I'd be surprised if ADK where getting capsules from GZ, as ADK fell out with him from what I have been told by someone who designed some things for ADK.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane ➡️
The Serrano 87 is the closest I've heard to the real deal.

I've also used the Warm 87 R1. It has the vibe and is a very smooth mic, but it didn't have quite the same level of detail.
Compared to a U87ai or vintage? I was curious about the Serrano but it seemed a touch hard/thin in the one shootout I saw. I took it with a grain of salt since the capsules were a few inches apart during the testing though…
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn ➡️
Compared to a or vintage? I was curious about the Serrano but it seemed a touch hard/thin in the one shootout I saw. I took it with a grain of salt since the capsules were a few inches apart during the testing though…
Vintage. The one shootout that's up on YouTube is not a good representation, probably due to the placement if not other factors.

Carlos has also changed the stock voicing since the mic was originally released. The first builds originally sounded like a "brighter" vintage unit, and now they're voiced to be darker.

I know there are owners for whom he has darkened the "new" stock voicing even further who are quite happy with it.

Mine has the current voicing and is very neutral/sweet on top.

Last edited by ziggysane; 20th October 2021 at 06:09 PM..
Old 20th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nobody said "made in china means crap" or whatever this recent pile on is.

Ordering a single mic from China is crap, tho, in most situations. I mentioned mics that can be ordered from dealers. Ymmv.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane ➡️
Vintage. The one shootout that's up on YouTube is not a good representation, probably due to the placement if not other factors.

Carlos has also changed the stock voicing since the mic was originally released. The first builds originally sounded like a "brighter" vintage unit, and now they're voiced to be darker.

I know there are owners for whom he has darkened the "new" stock voicing even further who are quite happy with it.

Mine has the current voicing and is very neutral/sweet on top.
Cool. I might end up taking the plunge on one of those. I love my MKID, but it's usually parked in front of the kick drum (my favorite mic ever there), and I'd like something similar floating around for general purpose.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn ➡️
Cool. I might end up taking the plunge on one of those. I love my MKID, but it's usually parked in front of the kick drum (my favorite mic ever there), and I'd like something similar floating around for general purpose.
I would recommend this. Another plug for Carlos is that he put a lot of work into making circuits that match the original U87 spec along with using transformers and capsules that were selected to get as close to the vintage Neumann sound as possible. In that sense it's not just an 87-ish tribute that leaves out the feedback circuit or uses a generic transformer; it's an effort to match the real deal.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Following up- GZ67fet is very, very good. Been working on some projects with a few clients and it's a cinderella's slipper for nice airiness while still being thick and muscular.
📝 Reply