Quantcast
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings - Page 215 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 13th September 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What’s Guoshengs email address? I’m having an issue with my G47fetV. Low output and high noise floor/buzz.
Old 13th September 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 ➡️
What’s Guoshengs email address? I’m having an issue with my G47fetV. Low output and high noise floor/buzz.
Ouch! Have you tried turning it off and on? ;-)

3uaudio at gmail dot com

I expect it's an issue with solder joints on the XLR connector. But my expectations don't have a good track record.
Old 15th September 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I recently booked a studio for a Hip-Hop artist I produce that had a C414 into a Warm 73 preamp. I was like "meh" okay. I don't cut rap vox with 414's anymore. I bought my Warbler MkID, D.A.V. BG-1 and Summit TLA-50 chain for the first time, set it up with the mic voicing switch to 3. It sounded phenomenal. The Warbler performed admirably, it just cut through the mix made her vox have that Oooomph! It kind of reminded me of the C800g and what it does around the 2-3k area.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Question for my 3U gurus out there. I've been toying around with grabbing a KM84-ish SDC, and it seems like the two to beat under $500 are the Warm 84 and the Warbler 127-C-Flat.

Now, of course, the Warm is probably using a 3U cap. They're close enough in price, and I'm guessing they're pretty close to each other in sound too. Anyone here actually compare them?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Bushman digs his Warm 84.
FWIW Carlos Serrano is planning to come up with his own 84.
(His vintage toned 87 is an exceptional sounding mic)
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mr. Bushman's love of the WA84 is a big part of what piques my interest (and he's not alone, lots of experienced engineers seem to love those even if they're not crazy about any other Warm gear). Since I'm in Austin, I can often find Warm stuff flying around the used market for pretty cheap, so I may well snag an 84 in that manner if it comes up... that's unlikely to happen with the 3U. I do like supporting GZ directly, though, so I suppose we shall see.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dan Worral who does the voice movers and tutorials for many plugin companies including Fab Filter and TDR. Uses the Warbler MK4 for his voice overs.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've had the 3u and currently own the Warm audio

To me, the 3U is more pointy in the upper mids, and the Warm is kind of huge in the lower mids. I much prefer the Warm for drum overheads - sold the 3u pair and use the Warm for drums.

I'll say that I don't love either on acoustic guitar. The 3u was too hard sounding and the Warm is too much flub and not enough midrange detail for me, but funny enough on drums they sound perfect. Also previously had the Line Audio CM3 and the Beyerdynamic MC930 sdcs, prefer Warm to both of those on drums.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting.... Seems like Warm is doing something very right with the circuit of their 84. To prefer them to the Beyers is high praise, for sure!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'll be selling off my Warbler VID this month to fund some other fun purchases. If anyone is interested, drop me a PM.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidjones ➡️
I'll be selling off my Warbler VID this month to fund some other fun purchases. If anyone is interested, drop me a PM.
I could not find any hint of which planet, continent, country you are on or in. That would be helpful to know (and that's why we have a location field in our profiles).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlaned ➡️
I've had the 3u and currently own the Warm audio

To me, the 3U is more pointy in the upper mids, and the Warm is kind of huge in the lower mids. I much prefer the Warm for drum overheads - sold the 3u pair and use the Warm for drums.

I'll say that I don't love either on acoustic guitar. The 3u was too hard sounding and the Warm is too much flub and not enough midrange detail for me, but funny enough on drums they sound perfect. Also previously had the Line Audio CM3 and the Beyerdynamic MC930 sdcs, prefer Warm to both of those on drums.
Which sdc’s do you prefer on acoustic guitar (any of the four mentioned, or something else)?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight ➡️
I could not find any hint of which planet, continent, country you are on or in. That would be helpful to know (and that's why we have a location field in our profiles).
I updated a few fields in my profile. I’m in Portland, OR.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
Question for my 3U gurus out there. I've been toying around with grabbing a KM84-ish SDC, and it seems like the two to beat under $500 are the Warm 84 and the Warbler 127-C-Flat.

Now, of course, the Warm is probably using a 3U cap. They're close enough in price, and I'm guessing they're pretty close to each other in sound too. Anyone here actually compare them?
I’ve used both. The Warbler 127 is extremely close to a KM84. In the blind tests I did (and posted) it was about a 50/50 split which people preferred. I slightly prefer the KM84 to the 127. The Warms sound pretty different, but pretty nice. I just found they had too much bloat and woof in the low mids to work on acoustic guitars. I was always fighting it. I like their soft top though.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
I’ve used both. The Warbler 127 is extremely close to a KM84. In the blind tests I did (and posted) it was about a 50/50 split which people preferred. I slightly prefer the KM84 to the 127. The Warms sound pretty different, but pretty nice. I just found they had too much bloat and woof in the low mids to work on acoustic guitars. I was always fighting it. I like their soft top though.
The Warm bloat on their 84s led me to send them back where they came from, too.

My pick is the Oktava MK 012 which also fares well in blind tests with the ultimate microphone (the KM84.)

I preferred the Neumann in your A/B, but it was close enough that I can see how those Warblers are usable mics.
Gear Nut

It's about that time and I'm about ready to grab a GZ67fet.

Had the regular Warbler MKI for about a year and a half now and it's been incredible for vocal performances. I don't expect double the mic with the GZ67fet, but it seems like a logical step up to have around considering I adore the sonic characteristics of the MKI and want something just a touch more finessed.

I'll report back with a comparison opinion after I give it some thorough testing.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hey there! First time poster. After sifting through this thread in addition to using the search bar, I didn't find a whole lot of info specifically on 3U and drum room/overheads. Apologies if I missed that part of the discussion.

In any case, my current front-runner is the Warbler MKID, as it seems to have a lot of versatility. As I mentioned, drum room (and possibly buying a 2nd to use as a stereo overhead pair) would be my main use, but it would be nice to have something that would fair well with other instruments and VO. I've never owned a LDC, and have only used an AKG Perception 100 (cheap boy). I'm very much a newbie, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lermpy ➡️
Hey there! First time poster. After sifting through this thread in addition to using the search bar, I didn't find a whole lot of info specifically on 3U and drum room/overheads. Apologies if I missed that part of the discussion.

In any case, my current front-runner is the Warbler MKID, as it seems to have a lot of versatility. As I mentioned, drum room (and possibly buying a 2nd to use as a stereo overhead pair) would be my main use, but it would be nice to have something that would fair well with other instruments and VO. I've never owned a LDC, and have only used an AKG Perception 100 (cheap boy). I'm very much a newbie, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
The Warbler MKIV would be a more conventional overhead choice. It’s based on an AKG414, which is very common in that position. It’s more hifi and neutral than the MKI, which has a more aggressive midrange. Which one would work better as a room mic really depends on the room. Both are great all-around mics, and at some point you’d be happy to have both.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn ➡️
The Warbler MKIV would be a more conventional overhead choice. It’s based on an AKG414, which is very common in that position. It’s more hifi and neutral than the MKI, which has a more aggressive midrange. Which one would work better as a room mic really depends on the room. Both are great all-around mics, and at some point you’d be happy to have both.
As an adherent to mono OH atm - This
The Warbler MKIV is amazingly close to the new 414 XLS with a touch of weight from the transformer and not quite as 3D. MKIV is the best bang for buck in FET condensers mics for OH. Get a pair. Record. Move on to next mic hurdle
Here for the gear

Thanks guys - noted!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
As an adherent to mono OH atm - This
The Warbler MKIV is amazingly close to the new 414 XLS with a touch of weight from the transformer and not quite as 3D. MKIV is the best bang for buck in FET condensers mics for OH. Get a pair. Record. Move on to next mic hurdle
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by 3D? When I first got my gz251 (I understand it’s not the same as the mkiv) I thought it was more 3d than my 414 at the time. But I guess I kind of attribute 3d to weight.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.m. son ➡️
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by 3D? When I first got my gz251 (I understand it’s not the same as the mkiv) I thought it was more 3d than my 414 at the time. But I guess I kind of attribute 3d to weight.
Good question - I would explain it as this. I thought there was a little more sense of space in the 414 XLS. It sounded like there was a little more depth to it. I hope that helps. The warbler IV is really great though and you're not going to be held back by it.

As always, sound is subjective and YMMV
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I wanted to buy a Warbler MK1D. Since it does not ship to Norway, I would like to get a recommendation on mics that are at least as good as MK1D. What is the cheapest alternative? The intended use is male vocal, singer songwriter, high studio production. How would you compare the alternative?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingspirit ➡️
I wanted to buy a Warbler MK1D. Since it does not ship to Norway, I would like to get a recommendation on mics that are at least as good as MK1D. What is the cheapest alternative, or is there a way to ship the mic to some company that ship MK1D to Norway? The intended use is male vocal, singer songwriter, high studio production. How would you compare the alternative?
There are a bunch of solid/cheap U87 clones nowadays: Warm, Serrano, Stam, others I’m not thinking of right now…I’ve heard clips of those three and they all sound like they’re in the same ballpark.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yep, no shortage of u87-esque mics out there. The Roswell Mini K87 would be a good bet, as would the Advanced Audio CM87 or Warm 87. The Serrano, Stam, and Beesneez 87 replicas will be a good bit more expensive but will likely sound really great.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lermpy ➡️

Thanks!
I have the AKG 200, which is the same as yours, but has switches.

That's the one I may possibly "sacrifice", in order to learn some basic modding, and soldering. I have a friend who's good at that kind of stuff..
But he works a lot of hours-like me. So we'll see.
Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I only started following the last few pages and my condolences to the community.

I recently passed up a $350 used Miktek C7, which I know has tone switches and there is also a Lauten Audio $1600 mic that has them, as well.

I know this thread is specifically about 3u, but maybe this helps someone that doesn't want to order a mic from China or something and is looking for switchable mic tones.

I don't have experience with them or 3u. But I'm shopping.

Last edited by XHipHop; 4 days ago at 11:41 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Regarding EU shortage. I am working my connections in town. My support does show great power due to Mafia reputation. Look into Facebook meme post for business citation or contact Norwegian HR. Martin
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, this sure took a turn.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The Serrano 87 is the closest I've heard to the real deal.

I've also used the Warm 87 R1. It has the vibe and is a very smooth mic, but it didn't have quite the same level of detail.
📝 Reply