Quantcast
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings - Page 212 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

III vs IV vs V vs Stellar CM-5 (tube style C12/T15)
https://app.box.com/s/4r9oyku13budzlento2x3ximnlouzmby
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman ➡️
A stealth thread… how clever.
Excuse me for not reading the SIX THOUSAND posts that might have somewhere revealed the secret.
No need for that, 'cause I explained it on the very same page.

And that was in response to your posts.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsantella ➡️
Yes I see that was unclear - I meant USD$500 per mic, so my budget is $1000 total. Edited my initial post.
To echo Ragan - I'd recommend the warbler IVD b/c I'm a fan of edge-terminated LDC on overheads. I also think this mic would work well when used to record most tracks because of it's capsule tuning. You won't get a lot of build up in the mids if used on drum OH and piano. And you won't get anything harsh because the top isn't harsh and is a bit creamy, which I think is from the transformer used inside.

I don't think you could get a better sounding mic without spending a lot more $. I've tried a few FET mics for mono OH (vanguard V4, Tele TF11, Warbler IV, 414 xls, Lauten Atlantis) and the IV has been the best mic under USD$1,000.00 among those mics.

Last edited by Ox Han; 5 days ago at 03:19 PM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato ➡️
No need for that, 'cause I explained it on the very same page.

And that was in response to your posts.
Explaining something to an individual poster after 6,000 thread posts did not and does not prevent someone from entering the thread based on a misleading title.
“No need for that…” is a breezy comeback, but not an explanation or excuse.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Explaining something to an individual poster after 6,000 thread posts did not and does not prevent someone from entering the thread based on a misleading title.
Thing is, you don’t have to read 6,000 posts. A good start would be reading the first post.

There’s been some confusion about the title from time to time, but this thread has been about 3U Audio mics on every page along the way. I’ve never understood the need to be snarky about the title. I mean, who cares? When does it ever work out well to jump into a long thread based solely on the many-years-old title and not read any of the context of the conversation you’re jumping into? Feels like common forum sense to me and none of this feels like anything to get twisted britches over.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
I’ve never understood the need to be snarky about the title.
I mean, who cares?
none of this feels like anything to get twisted britches over.
So shut up.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
For around $600 you can get a pair of each of the Black CM1SE and Teal CM1SE for both Neumann and AKG flavors . Single pattern cardioids but who really needs other patterns?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I believe it's a good practice to give people the benefit of the doubt.
At least once.
So that's what I did.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's funny, sometimes you end up with a conflicted impression of someone. "Is this person really just trolling or is that too harsh?" And then sometimes they just come right out and show you and it's an easy, breezy application of the ol' ignore button.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I have a warbler mk1 which I’ve had for a couple of years thanks to this thread! I love it, It sounds great on other singers but I find it murky/ cloudy on my own voice.

For a while now I’ve been gassing for a telefunken copperhead. do you think this would be a step up from my warbler or are they in a similar league? I know it’s an apples to oranges comparison but has anyone compared the two?

I’m basically looking for more clarity and presence and a general step up into the “high end” microphones world.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Copperhead has a very distinctive tone.
(I like it quite a bit)

Fletcher helped them develop it.
You may want to PM him.
Shannon Adkins knows it well too, and has posted vocal clips with it here at GS. (Gifted singer too)

I would also check out the Roswell Mini K87, and put it on your shortlist. Also Blue Blueberry and the Serrano 87-special request/tuned "Bright/Modern" by Carlos.

What's funny is that I've heard some great vocal clips on YouTube, with the AT4040...
That fit your description, because that suited the singer's voice!
You may get off cheap.

Should mention the new Soundelux U195 too,
as a worthy rival to the Copperhead.
(I have one)
Can switched either "Bright-ish"/FLAT or FAT "vintage".
It's closer than the Copperhead, to "Clarity/Presence" IMHO.
The Copperhead sounds more U47-ish to me.
Chris
P.S. Vintage tone fan here BTW.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Copperhead has a very distinctive tone.
(I like it quite a bit)

Fletcher helped them develop it.
You may want to PM him.
Shannon Adkins knows it well too, and has posted vocal clips with it here at GS. (Gifted singer too)

I would also check out the Roswell Mini K87, and put it on your shortlist. Also Blue Blueberry and the Serrano 87-special request/tuned "Bright/Modern" by Carlos.

What's funny is that I've heard some great vocal clips on YouTube, with the AT4040...
That fit your description, because that suited the singer's voice!
You may get off cheap.

Should mention the new Soundelux U195 too,
as a worthy rival to the Copperhead.
(I have one)
Can switched either "Bright-ish"/FLAT or FAT "vintage".
It's closer than the Copperhead, to "Clarity/Presence" IMHO.
The Copperhead sounds more U47-ish to me.
Chris
P.S. Vintage tone fan here BTW.

Thanks for that! Hadn’t even considered any of the other mics you suggested.

Every YouTube clip of the copperhead I’ve heard had a nice presence and sheen compared to the other mics they were up against in a shootout (wa47, tf47, u87 etc)

You’ve mentioned some other cheaper mics as alternatives, so does that mean that the copperhead wouldn’t necessarily be an upgrade in terms of quality compared to the warbler and more of a crossgrade?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

IMHO it's kinda like a chemical interaction.

A Commercial Pro Studio tends to want a U87,
as a vocal all rounder...
As they record many kinds of singers.

For the rest of us, there's a tendency to constructively "get away", with something different.

Fletcher is also reactivating "Mercenary Audio", and I expect he'd stock the Copperhead.

Not sure what his "demoing" mic(s) policy might be.
Pre-Pandemic it was common to be able to leave a Credit Card deposit, with a Dealer.

Warren at Zen Pro Audio is another cool dude.

Also you might live near a Vintage King, maybe even near Sweetwater Headquarters.
Just a thought...
Chris
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Just jumping back on - thanks so much for all the thoughtful replies. It sounds like most people agree the MKIVD is probably what I'm looking for (including GZ himself, who suggested the CM-1 Teal, MKIV, MKIVD, or GZ251fet).

Does anyone have any experience with the Warbler 127 C-Flats? I've been interested in a pair of WA-84's for a while now and wondering if the 127's would be a better use of my money.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have a pair of 127s with flat omni & cards & hypers. They're excellent all rounders. Certainly in the same league as the WA-84s... because... family origins.

Phenomenal value. Didn't have a chance to directly a/b with the WA-84s, but from memory wouldn't prefer the WA-84 to the 127s in most cases. Or any case in my use case, because I'd rather spend the money on more capsules. And did. The flat omni is wonderful too.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’ve compared the Warbler 127 cardioid flats to the WA84. Overall, I preferred the 127s. The WA84s sounded cool but they were a little boomy in the low mids and I found that a bit annoying on acoustic guitar. I’ve also compared the 127 card flats to KM84s and they’re really, really close.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Mando that's a good point, I would prefer additional capsules for the money as well. That said, I definitely appreciate that the WA-84s come with shockmounts and a hard case included (which closes the price gap a tiny bit, in my mind at least).

Ragan, always nice to get an opinion from someone who's heard a direct comparison - and nice to hear that the 127's have the edge. It does sound like the difference is very minor though, so it's good to know if I decide I'm too impatient to wait 1-2 months for 127s to arrive I can live with myself for getting WA-84s.
📝 Reply