The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 23rd March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I finally pulled the trigger on a warbler IVD. It arrived yesterday. It took about 5 days to get from Shanghai to my place in the US via fedex. I put it up as a mono OH to see if it could be the solution to the problems I have with the TF11.

I have backed the TF11 further in front of the kit and that has helped smooth out the top end. I put the Warbler in the exact same spot. Actually, in the same shockmount on the same stand. I kept the warbler in cardioid since the TF11 is fixed cardioid. I literally just switched mics and kept all settings the same on the chain and in the DAW. I wasn't looking to shoot the mics out in a scientific fashion. I just wanted to hear how the warbler captured my kit in my room compared to the TF11 with the same settings.

The warbler is smoother in V1 than the TF11, but somewhat similar in the top. The V1 setting is pretty good, but I think I prefer the TF11 for it's sense of dimension. The warbler doesn't have the same depth and clarity as the TF11, but it still has a nice dimension to it. That's ok since it's half the price. I think the warbler's depth and dimension is better than the vanguard V4. I decided to put the warbler into V2 to tame the high end a bit more. If that is a success and maintains the same depth & dimension, the tf11 may go out the door.

So, I flicked the switch to V2, recorded a take, and listened back. I'm not gonna lie. I was pretty disappointed. The warbler lost a lot of headroom in V2. I was a bit confused because nothing had changed anywhere else. The mic in V2 was getting blown out on a crash cymbal, where it was absolutely fine in V1. I engaged the pad and that seemed to fix things, but the mic wasn't as dimensional as V1.

All in all the Warbler IV is a good mic, but the voicings didn't meet my expectations, which means it didn't really meet the objective. I might prefer to fight the TF11's high end with mic placement and lpf on an eq if needed to keep the depth and definition that mic captures. But, it's also twice as expensive as the warbler. If I didn't have the TF11, or that budget, I think the warbler would be a winner. I'll be curious how they both compare to a b-uls.

Last edited by Ox Han; 23rd March 2021 at 07:41 PM..
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Sounds like a defect. You shouldn't lose any headroom between those two voices. Did you try voice 3 to see if it was more of the same? I would email G. If it is a flaw he'll get you sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
I finally pulled the trigger on a warbler IVD. It arrived yesterday. It took about 5 days to get from Shanghai to my place in the US via fedex. I put it up as a mono OH to see if it could be the solution to the problems I have with the TF11.

I have backed the TF11 further in front of the kit and that has helped smooth out the top end. I put the Warbler in the exact same spot. Actually, in the same shockmount on the same stand. I kept the warbler in cardioid since the TF11 is fixed cardioid. I literally just switched mics and kept all settings the same on the chain and in the DAW. I wasn't looking to shoot the mics out in a scientific fashion. I just wanted to hear how the warbler captured my kit in my room compared to the TF11 with the same settings.

The warbler is smoother in V1 than the TF11, but somewhat similar in the top. The V1 setting is pretty good, but I think I prefer the TF11 for it's sense of dimension. The warbler doesn't have the same depth and clarity as the TF11, but it still has a nice dimension to it. That's ok since it's half the price. I think the warbler's depth and dimension is better than the vanguard V4. I decided to put the warbler into V2 to tame the high end a bit more. If that is a success and maintains the same depth & dimension, the tf11 may go out the door.

So, I flicked the switch to V2, recorded a take, and listened back. I'm not gonna lie. I was pretty disappointed. The warbler lost a lot of headroom in V2. I was a bit confused because nothing had changed anywhere else. The mic in V2 was getting blown out on a crash cymbal, where it was absolutely fine in V1. I engaged the pad and that seemed to fix things, but the mic wasn't as dimensional as V1.

All in all the Warbler IV is a good mic, but the voicings didn't meet my expectations, which means it didn't really meet the objective. I might prefer to fight the TF11's high end with mic placement and lpf on an eq if needed to keep the depth and definition that mic captures. But, it's also twice as expensive as the warbler. If I didn't have the TF11, or that budget, I think the warbler would be a winner. I'll be curious how they both compare to a b-uls.
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 ➡️
Sounds like a defect. You shouldn't lose any headroom between those two voices. Did you try voice 3 to see if it was more of the same? I would email G. If it is a flaw he'll get you sorted.
I’ll reach out with an email. Thanks.

...and that shipping speed during a pandemic? I was pretty surprised when it showed up so fast.
Just had to throw another shout out
Old 28th March 2021
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've tried a few of the cheaper 3U mics, the teal CM1, the black CM1, and one of the Warblers (can't recall which one as I no longer own it, but I think it was the U87 type). I have some pretty nice mics (Blue, Gefell, East German Neumann, Advanced Audio CM251 etc) and the black CM1 wasn't getting used that much until I tried it outside a kick drum (I also mic the inside with a dynamic).

I love this mic in this application -- I was going to buy a more expensive U47 FET copy for outside kick duty but no longer feel the need as I'm getting huge amount of low end out of my 20" vintage Ludwig kick now. I also tried using the Teal version outside kick but it was not as deep sounding. I think the black CM1 would work great for toms as well -- it's a pretty versatile mic with the pads and HP filter choices. Now looking at getting one of the GZ67s as the sound samples I've heard for that mic sound excellent.
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

The GZ12 might be a more fair comparison to the Telefunken, while still being less expensive. The few clips I’ve heard of it sounded great. It has the better AMI transformer in it with the C12 voiced capsule. Guosheng would probably let you exchange the Warbler for one to try it out.

I’ve been itching to get a pair of the GZ12s for years, and maybe eventually put some Tim Campbell capsules in them. I wonder how close they would sound to 414EBs, which are my favorite overhead mics ever.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA ➡️
The GZ12 might be a more fair comparison to the Telefunken, while still being less expensive. The few clips I’ve heard of it sounded great. It has the better AMI transformer in it with the C12 voiced capsule. Guosheng would probably let you exchange the Warbler for one to try it out.

I’ve been itching to get a pair of the GZ12s for years, and maybe eventually put some Tim Campbell capsules in them. I wonder how close they would sound to 414EBs, which are my favorite overhead mics ever.
I want something less bright than the TF11. Not sure if I communicated that clearly or not. I didn't know he made a GZ12 and that is interesting, but probably pretty bright.

That said, I may just buy a CT12 and drop in the warbler IV and pay someone to do the capsule swap. I also thought about doing the same thing to the TF11 haha. Perhaps I should try the warbler V since it is less bright but uses what I assume is the same edge terminated capsule as the IV.

I will also reiterate in V1 setting, the warbler IV is nice and less bright than the TF11, or sonically warmer, in the top end. It doesn't quite have the same depth and dimension as the TF11, but I think it fairly easily beats out the Vanguard mic I had in terms of dimension and depth/clarity. I will do one last comparison with the warbler IV and the TF11 both recording the same take from the same position.

Thanks
Lives for gear

Quote:
I want something less bright than the TF11. Not sure if I communicated that clearly or not. I didn't know he made a GZ12 and that is interesting, but probably pretty bright.

That said, I may just buy a CT12 and drop in the warbler IV and pay someone to do the capsule swap. I also thought about doing the same thing to the TF11 haha. Perhaps I should try the warbler V since it is less bright but uses what I assume is the same edge terminated capsule as the IV.

I will also reiterate in V1 setting, the warbler IV is nice and less bright than the TF11, or sonically warmer, in the top end. It doesn't quite have the same depth and dimension as the TF11, but I think it fairly easily beats out the Vanguard mic I had in terms of dimension and depth/clarity. I will do one last comparison with the warbler IV and the TF11 both recording the same take from the same position.

Thanks
I am gravitating right along you sound... and ears... one...two...three...IV rlol...
Old 29th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I’d be curious how a gz251 fet would compare against the tf-11. Basically 3u’s premium version of the warbler IV (multi-pattern instead of multiple voicings, though). At this point, it’s not as much of a deal, but still $300 less than the tf-11.
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut
My MKIV arrived today. So far I'm pleased. In V1 it has a nice smooth sparkle over 4kHz and will surely be good for recording singing, at least for some voices. I'd be delighted if it worked for mine, but I need to do more work to be sure.

In V2 it's definitely good for spoken word.

The only thing that doesn't immediately please is the fierce HPF/demudding thing the built-in HPF does. I guess it's designed for very close-miked singing, which lots of people do.

But if all I have to do eq-wise to get a result I like from myself and friends is to apply my own HPF - I'll be happy! Let the experiments begin....

Gavin

PS - I spoke too soon about the HPF. It's essential!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Julie has a new favourite mic...

Julie Atkin sings On the Sunny Side of the Street, which was composed in 1930 by Jimmy McHugh, with lyrics by Dorothy Fields. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the..._of_the_Street

Julie is accompanied by my 1912 Jeffries duet concertina.

Her mic is a 3U Audio Warbler MkIV in voicing 1, with the mic's HPF on. No other eq was used. Her previous favourite was an sE 4400a.

(The concertina was miced with two AT4040s, again with HPF on, eqd to reduce the mics' 6-7kHz spike.)

Gavin

Last edited by gmatkin; 4 weeks ago at 08:18 PM.. Reason: To make the YouTube link appear properly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fine singing there! I enjoyed it a lot. Does anyone else hear some strange intermodulation between the singer and concertina on certain notes?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

And who's that "Rocky fella'" guy?
The boxer?

Chris
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick ➡️
Fine singing there! I enjoyed it a lot. Does anyone else hear some strange intermodulation between the singer and concertina on certain notes?
Glad you like it!

I didn't apply any eq across the recording... So I guess if there's intermodulation going on due to some nonlinearity, it'll likely have crept in when I ran it through a gentle hard limiter - or it's a YouTube artefact.

Or what I learned all those years ago wasn't true! It wouldn't be tge first time...

Btw, concertinas sound pretty nonlinear to me...

G
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
And who's that "Rocky fella'" guy?
The boxer?

Chris
Rockefeller, I think. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._Rockefeller

G
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That was a treat.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I am selling a couple of CM1 Teal (the green one) and black (the new one)

They are great microphones. I can't treat my room at all so it's not for me.

near new, the black still in his case, used a few hours mainly recording guitar and a bit singing. Never used outside home of course.

could be sent in europe (EU) but please only serious buyers thank you.

I bought them directly from Guosheng

Price 80 euros for both a bargain for sure for these two microphones.

Hope it's ok I post here otherwise I'll remove no problem.

they are sold now on 04/18/2021.
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-20210416_174445.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-20210416_174430.jpg  

Last edited by tastam; 3 weeks ago at 04:33 PM.. Reason: sold
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm a newly converted fan of the sE T2
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastam ➡️
I am selling a couple of CM1 Teal (the green one) and black (the new one)

They are great microphones. I can't treat my room at all so it's not for me.

near new, the black still in his case, used a few hours mainly recording guitar and a bit singing. Never used outside home of course.

could be sent in europe (EU) but please only serious buyers thank you.

I bought them directly from Guosheng

Price 80 euros for both a bargain for sure for these two microphones.

Hope it's ok I post here otherwise I'll remove no problem.
TWO for 80 Euros!

Chris
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
TWO for 80 Euros!

Chris
I said I'd have them, but apparently it's too much of a pain to ship from the EU to the UK, although I've asked the seller if he'd enquire at his local post office.

Anyone in an EU country shopped anything of this value to the UK recently? Is it an ordeal, stupidly expensive etc?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I'm assuming that shipping to the U.S. would be right out of the question, then. Someone in Europe is going to get a very nice deal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn. That is quite a deal. Snatch it up, somebody.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
Damn. That is quite a deal. Snatch it up, somebody.
I got them! Even sending a nice cable with them! What a nice guy.

Can’t wait to try them out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OTE=gmatkin;15394574]On the Sunny Side of the Street, which was composed in 1930 by Jimmy McHugh, with lyrics by Dorothy Fields. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the..._of_the_Street[/QUOTE]

Lovely song and performance! Apologies in advance for the tangent...but as the Wikipedia article mentions, the authorship of this song is contested — some believe it was actually written by the great Fats Waller, who sold the song at a moment of financial hardship for $500...only to see the song become a huge international hit.

I’m in the camp of the Fats Waller believers. In an interview, Fats’ son Maurice stated that every time Fats heard the song on the radio, he would switch it off and become upset and silent.

As a long-time fan of Fats’ music, to my ears the song bears all the hallmarks of a Fats composition. I’ll spare the musicological analysis, but the melody and lyrics are absolutely consistent with Fats’ body of songs. No matter who performs it, I always imagine Fats’ rendition...which we unfortunately will never hear.

Last edited by Honkermann; 3 weeks ago at 06:08 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Same kind of story, for another great singer/songwriter of the Doo Wop era... "Mr. Easy" AKA Jesse Belvin. His "Earth Angel"
(I'm convinced he wrote it alone) sold 10+ million copies. He wrote many other songs, that ended up with crediting others, for relatively small amounts of $$.
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk ➡️
I said I'd have them, but apparently it's too much of a pain to ship from the EU to the UK, although I've asked the seller if he'd enquire at his local post office.

Anyone in an EU country shopped anything of this value to the UK recently? Is it an ordeal, stupidly expensive etc?
I have sent stuff to the UK from Slovakia since 1st January and it has not yet arrived (now April). On a guitar forum I have read of people in the UK buying stuff from the continent and it not arriving and one case of someone who sent a guitar from the UK to Belgium and it has not arrived. One more thing I have read is that some EU politicians think that such delivery problems should exist to dissuade other countries from exiting the EU. It's a mess, hopefully one that in time will get sorted, but for now I think tastam is wise to not attempt sending something to the UK.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight ➡️
I have sent stuff to the UK from Slovakia since 1st January and it has not yet arrived (now April). On a guitar forum I have read of people in the UK buying stuff from the continent and it not arriving and one case of someone who sent a guitar from the UK to Belgium and it has not arrived. One more thing I have read is that some EU politicians think that such delivery problems should exist to dissuade other countries from exiting the EU. It's a mess, hopefully one that in time will get sorted, but for now I think tastam is wise to not attempt sending something to the UK.
Thanks. I am not getting the mic's now. My Paypal payment didn't go through for some reason so the seller assumed I was no longer interested and sold them the next day to another GS member. Shame.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Sorry to hear that.
Chris
Lives for gear

Pay pal is not too good...
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkermann ➡️
OTE=gmatkin;15394574]On the Sunny Side of the Street, which was composed in 1930 by Jimmy McHugh, with lyrics by Dorothy Fields. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the..._of_the_Street

Lovely song and performance! Apologies in advance for the tangent...but as the Wikipedia article mentions, the authorship of this song is contested — some believe it was actually written by the great Fats Waller, who sold the song at a moment of financial hardship for $500...only to see the song become a huge international hit.

I’m in the camp of the Fats Waller believers. In an interview, Fats’ son Maurice stated that every time Fats heard the song on the radio, he would switch it off and become upset and silent.

As a long-time fan of Fats’ music, to my ears the song bears all the hallmarks of a Fats composition. I’ll spare the musicological analysis, but the melody and lyrics are absolutely consistent with Fats’ body of songs. No matter who performs it, I always imagine Fats’ rendition...which we unfortunately will never hear.

Glad you liked it. For my money, it could easily be a Fats' song, and I have no difficulty imagining him performing it.

Gavin
📝 Reply