The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 8th August 2017

🎧 5 years
Awesome! I'm thinking to sell my Line Audio CM3s and will probably replace them with 127s
Old 8th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
Oh hello there, Warbler 127s and "cardioid flat" caps...

Clips coming soon.
Nice! However, where did you order them from? I´m checking the 3UAudio ebay store, and I can´t see the Warbler 127s. The only SDCs I see are the CM-100....they look very similar!

http://stores.ebay.com/3uaudio?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM ➡️
Nice! However, where did you order them from? I´m checking the 3UAudio ebay store, and I can´t see the Warbler 127s. The only SDCs I see are the CM-100....they look very similar!

http://stores.ebay.com/3uaudio?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
You must be new to this thread.
So welcome.

Skip the bay.
The guys and gals here buy directly from the maker.

His name is Guosheng Zhuang.
Contact him here:
E-mail: [email protected]
And give him our best.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato ➡️
You must be new to this thread.
So welcome.

Skip the bay.
The guys and gals here buy directly from the maker.

His name is Guosheng Zhuang.
Contact him here:
E-mail: [email protected]
And give him our best.
Indeed new to this thread and to 3U Audio mics too

Thanks a lot for the tips, I´ve already contacted Guosheng!

ps: why is this model not listed on the bay shop? Would you recommend any other model from 3U Audio (I was very close to buying isk´s 2B Beauty when I found out about 3U Audio).

Thanks in advance!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Read first post
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM ➡️
Indeed new to this thread and to 3U Audio mics too

Thanks a lot for the tips, I´ve already contacted Guosheng!

ps: why is this model not listed on the bay shop? Would you recommend any other model from 3U Audio (I was very close to buying isk´s 2B Beauty when I found out about 3U Audio).

Thanks in advance!
I know it's a monster, but I'd at least skim the thread. It's a unique situation where you're buying directly from the owner.

He makes a lot of different mics so if you narrow down what you want somewhat and tell us what your budget is we can probably steer you in he right direction.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Listen to demos on this thread:

Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos

you'll have better picture how each of the models sound...
Old 8th August 2017

🎧 5 years
I can say unequivocally that a full read of this thread was well worth my time.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I know it's a monster, but I'd at least skim the thread. It's a unique situation where you're buying directly from the owner.

He makes a lot of different mics so if you narrow down what you want somewhat and tell us what your budget is we can probably steer you in he right direction.
Hehe, I´ve read the last 10 pages, but I´ll do a more thorough read! Sorry about that.

What I´m after is, on one side, a couple of matched SDCs with different patterns (main duties will be overheads on drums, and acoustic guitar), and on another side, a tube mic for vocals mainly, as a set-up from the LDC I´m using currently (AT-2050). I found out about isk microphones while researching the SDCs, and saw the 2B Beauty (tube mic) on their catalogue. It´s because of that mic that I decided to change vocal mics. I´m currently using a custom ribbon and the AT-2050 and mixing both signals, I find it´s a good match. But the AT-2050 has a characteristic boost in the high mids, that can get a bit harsh when EQing for brilliance or clarity, and is present on all recordings I do with it, no matter the instrument. I´d rather have a nicer color, and I think the 2B Beauty would be a nice step up.

About the budget, I´d like to spend around 500-600€. I like to get the best bang of the buck so I think that isk and 3U Audio might be the perfect choice!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiv ➡️
Listen to demos on this thread:

Thread Dedicated to Just 3U Audio Mic Demos

you'll have better picture how each of the models sound...
Thank you!
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Julen

For value for money I recommend either Barbaric Amplification for hand built tube mics from around $500, or 3U Audio if you want to spend about the same on a FET mic or less (Warblers). Definitely check out BA as well as 3U Audio. BA rates 3U Audio as great value as well by the way.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
For about 600$ i would check 3U Audio GZ series (GZ67, GZ251)
Old 9th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiv ➡️
For about 600$ i would check 3U Audio GZ series (GZ67, GZ251)
I too would recommend to anyone spending $600 to check out the GZ mics, but if you want a tube mic rather than FET, then also consider the hand made (point to point wiring) BA tube mics, which use the 3U Audio capsules (or others if specified) for the same price.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
but if you want a tube mic rather than FET
This is a 3U Audio thread. But when the topic is 600 dollar tube mics (which Guosheng does not offer) I add the new AA CM48T as an option.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato ➡️
This is a 3U Audio thread. But when the topic is 600 dollar tube mics (which Guosheng does not offer) I add the new AA CM48T as an option.
I hear you. I never mind mentioning other mics on her from time to time, when people seem like they are looking for great mics at a good price (hence how they found the thread). Dennis himself also discussed BA, AA and iSK mic's (and others) in this thread from time to time.

🎧 10 years
Yup, which is why I added the Advanced Audio option.
Especially since 3U Audio has no tube mics in this price range.

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
*Waiting patiently for Ragan's thoughts/demo's...*

Seriously Ragan does the best demo's, dang haha. Thanks Ragan, I'm glad you finally got them.

Actually I listened so many times to one of the Warbler vocal and acoustic shootouts, I broke down and learned Fire Lake from Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band and we play it with my band now
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➡️
Aston don't make their own capsules. They use Chinese OEMS.
Oh, I'm sure the capsules are OEM, but they apparently tested many to get the one that was right for the circuit. I'd love to hear a comparison between the Starlight and 3U Audio 127. At the end of this bit of marketing, Aston say "We could do it cheaper. But nobody could do it better", so be interesting if at half the price, the 127 did do it better! lol

Here is the full bit of "built in UK" marketing.

We are incredibly proud to say that Starlight, like all of our microphones, is designed and Made in the UK, and not just assembled from imported components. More than 90% of our build of materials (BOM) and components are sourced in England, Scotland and Wales. All material processing is done locally too, including the chassis tumbling, the engraving, the mould manufacturing for the mic head and base... even our packaging, which is 84% recycled material and 100% recyclable, is made right here in the UK.
We could do it cheaper. But nobody could do it better.
Old 10th August 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk ➡️
Oh, I'm sure the capsules are OEM, but they apparently tested many to get the one that was right for the circuit. I'd love to hear a comparison between the Starlight and 3U Audio 127. At the end of this bit of marketing, Aston say "We could do it cheaper. But nobody could do it better", so be interesting if at half the price, the 127 did do it better! lol

We are incredibly proud to say that Starlight, like all of our microphones, is designed and Made in the UK, and not just assembled from imported components. More than 90% of our build of materials (BOM) and components are sourced in England, Scotland and Wales. All material processing is done locally too, including the chassis tumbling, the engraving, the mould manufacturing for the mic head and base... even our packaging, which is 84% recycled material and 100% recyclable, is made right here in the UK.
Subtract Aston's (sizeable) marketing budget!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidjones ➡️
Subtract Aston's (sizeable) marketing budget!
for sure.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The only thing they don't tell you in the marketing or videos is where the capsules are built. They are very coy about it. But it's known they get them from the Far East.

They aren't the only manufacturer who test their OEM capsules. AA and Peluso do it.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➡️
The only thing they don't tell you in the marketing or videos is where the capsules are built. They are very coy about it. But it's known they get them from the Far East.

They aren't the only manufacturer who test their OEM capsules. AA and Peluso do it.
I don't have an issue with Asian capsules. So are the ones Peluso sells under his own name made specifically for him in S E Asia or are they just off the shelf ones he then sells for 6 times the price or whatever?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If only Guosheng's fine capsules could speak...

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
If only Guosheng's fine capsules could speak...
Does that mean Peluso's capsules are made by GZ? I realize this is info you will have been told to keep to yourself if the case anyway, but thought I'd ask!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Does that mean Peluso's capsules are made by GZ? I realize this is info you will have been told to keep to yourself if the case anyway, but thought I'd ask!
Just take it that his handiwork makes it into more mics than people may suspect.
Old 13th August 2017 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh hello there, Warbler 127s and "cardioid flat" caps...

Clips coming soon.
What's the word? About to place my order.
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Warbler 127 (flat cardioid) SDC vs KM-84 (wow!!)

Two days ago a friend and I recorded acoustic Guitar with one of my vintage KM-84s and the new Warbler 127 SDC with the flat cardioid capsule. I had tested one of the prototypes 127s with the regular cardioid capsule and it was very close to my KM-84 on acoustic guitar except for a rise around 3.5k (going by memory on that). Anyway, I shared what I had heard with Guosheng and suggested he make a flat cardioid capsule to get closer to a KN-84 since he was already there in the mids and lows and extreme highs. I think some other folks were also pushing for a flat cardioid. Long story short. When my friend Chris Rosser and I played back the 2 files on his monitors we couldn't tell the difference between my KM-84 and the warbler. You may hear some difference but the bottom line is Guosheng has done what I don''t think anyone else has in terms of duplicating the KM-84 sound in a modern microphone. There, I said it. :-)

Here's the wetransfer link (below) for someone to download and create a permanent link for people to listen to. The link expires in about 5 days so if someone is gonna put this up on Soundcloud it's best to do it ASAP. Thanks all.

https://we.tl/5Z1iiEDEDc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulmany ➡️
What's the word? About to place my order.
They sound really good. I've just had the chance to do some pretty quick messing around with them on acoustic guitar but they sound great. Should have some clips up within a couple days.

They definitely sound a little meatier and a little more transient-smoothed compared to the transformerless CM100s. And I think the cardioid flat capsule is probably gonna be my go-to.
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 20 years
A few weeks ago, I bought two Warbler 127 mics with the cardioid capsules. We compared one to a Neumann KM-84. I agree, the Warber 127-C was very close but a bit brighter. It's also about +6db hotter.

I just ordered two more Warbler 127 mics, but with the flat cardioid capsules, plus two more flat capsules for the previous mics. I have a bunch of KM-84s, but they are too fragile/valuable for live recording. I'll be very happy if the Warbler gets me close to the sound of a KM-84.
📝 Reply