The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings
Old 21st August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 ➡️
Hey guys, I added more sound files to my post here. These are the sound files I added:

10. Warbler MKIIID with upgraded AMI T14 transformer (vs GZ47FETV) - added 8/20/16

11. GZ47FETV (vs Warbler MKIIID with upgraded AMI T14 transformer) - added 8/20/16

(10 and 11 were recorded together)

12. GZ251 Tube (vs GZ67FET) - added 8/20/16

13. GZ67FET (vs GZ251 Tube) - added 8/20/16

(12 and 13 were recorded together)

14. Mix of GZ251 Tube (vs GZ67FET) Vocal and Backing Track - added 8/20/16

I upgraded the GZT-12 transformer of my Warbler MKIIID to an AMI T14. Sound files #10 and #11 compare the upgraded MKIIID against the GZ47FETV.

I bought another mic, the GZ67FET. Sound files #12 and #13 compare the GZ251 Tube against the GZ67FET.

Lastly, sound file #14 is the mix of the GZ251 vocal (sound file #12 ) and the backing track.

In order to show the natural sound of the mics, the recordings are raw and without any effects.

Hoping you could share your thoughts on the tests.
Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely check them out when I'm back in town. How do you like the AMI tranny compared to the stock 3U?
Old 21st August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshep ➡️

Have seen a lot of love for the warbler I - and wonder if someone could just cut through all of the dialogue and tell me essentially what the chief difference actually is in that "I" model vs the "VI" ? Honestly enough of a difference to
consider picking it up if i have a VI?

Thanks!

Mike
Basically the V3 on the Warbler MkVI is nearly identical to V1 on the Warbler MkI so you can think of it as adding a V4 and V5 to the switch on the front of your mic.
Old 21st August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
Yeah as far as I know, the black finish was just an extra option.

I like the regular nickel finish versions. They look classic.
phew good to know!Still have to save up a little more cash before pulling the trigger on this guy. Would love a a tuber too
Old 22nd August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely check them out when I'm back in town. How do you like the AMI tranny compared to the stock 3U?
The AMI tranny has more articulation and faster transients than the stock, although this is at the cost of a little lesser warmness and low mids than the stock. At first I was taken aback by this, but I've gotten used to it and have begun to like the AMI more than the stock.
Old 22nd August 2016

🎧 5 years
Thanks for posting that comparison mtl777. You can really hear the 3U family sound across those files.

Overall I didn't have a preference but they provide great colours to choose from. As I tend to record rhythm tracks first, I'd match the microphone to go with the arrangement.

Also, I hear some distortion in the files, like a spiky bit crusher kind of sound. For example, check out the GZ67Fet file. I'm not familiar with that file sharing site so it could be something like the file compression.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hey guys, I added more sound files to my post here. These are the sound files I added:

10. Warbler MKIIID with upgraded AMI T14 transformer (vs GZ47FETV) - added 8/20/16

11. GZ47FETV (vs Warbler MKIIID with upgraded AMI T14 transformer) - added 8/20/16

(10 and 11 were recorded together)

12. GZ251 Tube (vs GZ67FET) - added 8/20/16

13. GZ67FET (vs GZ251 Tube) - added 8/20/16

(12 and 13 were recorded together)

14. Mix of GZ251 Tube (vs GZ67FET) Vocal and Backing Track - added 8/20/16

I upgraded the GZT-12 transformer of my Warbler MKIIID to an AMI T14. Sound files #10 and #11 compare the upgraded MKIIID against the GZ47FETV.

I bought another mic, the GZ67FET. Sound files #12 and #13 compare the GZ251 Tube against the GZ67FET.

Lastly, sound file #14 is the mix of the GZ251 vocal (sound file #12 ) and the backing track.

In order to show the natural sound of the mics, the recordings are raw and without any effects.

Hoping you could share your thoughts on the tests.
put it on soundcloud next time that website is a spam hell hole cant even download the files so i can process them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up Just joined the club!

Quote:
That's common. Sometimes mine would say that for several days and then go straight to "out for delivery".

Just like you said, no usps updates for 3 days then "out for delivery". My Warblers came in this weekend. Haven't had a chance to fire them up though. Still trying to settle in to our new home. Anyway, here is the $25 dollar case I purchased on kidvybes' (posthumous) recommendation.
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-2-warbler-1-middle.jpg  

Last edited by Funny Cat; 22nd August 2016 at 06:57 PM..

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➡️
Just like you said, no usps updates for 3 days then "out for delivery". My Warblers came in this weekend. Haven't had a chance to fire them up though. Still trying to settle in to our new home. Anyway, here is the $25 dollar case I purchased on kidvybes' (posthumous) recommendation. Link below.
*sniff sniff* smell that china quality
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by takaka ➡️

Well....most mics, even the big names have factories in China. That would be pretty evident if you read this thread. The Warbler capsules are what's special as well as the high end parts used inside. So....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If these heavy, solid, tanks loaded with custom capsules and WIMA, Dale, Fairchild, etc are "China quality" then, yeah, give me a nice big whiff.

Smells pretty sweet compared to the usual bitter aroma of Multiple Middleman Markups.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by takaka ➡️
Do you mod Russian mics, and were you previously banned here under a different name?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Murdock ➡️
Do you mod Russian mics, and were you previously banned here under a different name?

Haha! By the way what happened to "takaka's" post? It was just here a little while ago.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jampa ➡️
Thanks for posting that comparison mtl777. You can really hear the 3U family sound across those files.

Overall I didn't have a preference but they provide great colours to choose from. As I tend to record rhythm tracks first, I'd match the microphone to go with the arrangement.

Also, I hear some distortion in the files, like a spiky bit crusher kind of sound. For example, check out the GZ67Fet file. I'm not familiar with that file sharing site so it could be something like the file compression.
Thanks for the comment!

I'll check about the distortion, but it may be because I'm too close to the mics and am overloading them. Do you hear distortion in ALL the files or some only?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Haha! By the way what happened to "takaka's" post? It was just here a little while ago.
Yes that's odd...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes that's odd...

That's why we always quote our enemies!
Old 23rd August 2016 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for the comment!

I'll check about the distortion, but it may be because I'm too close to the mics and am overloading them. Do you hear distortion in ALL the files or some only?
Yea, I hear distortion in all of them. Was anything clipping in the recording process?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Murdock ➡️
Yes, he's been banned on this forum at least a half dozen times over the last few years and continues to come back under different handles.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 ➡️
Yes, he's been banned on this forum at least a half dozen times over the last few years and continues to come back under different handles.
Was that really Joly? Do we know this?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jampa ➡️
Yea, I hear distortion in all of them. Was anything clipping in the recording process?
I looked at the waveforms in Audacity and ran the analyzer. It did not detect any clipping. I think what you're hearing is the mic diaphragm distorting on loud passages because I was singing too close to the mic and sometimes I get carried away. Although the signal coming out of the preamp is not loud enough to produce a clipped waveform when recorded, the signal from the mic that goes into the preamp already has that sound of the diaphragm distorting due to my loud vocal at close range.

Good of you to point out the distorted sound. I'm fond of close micing because I love the intimate effect and also my room sound is not so good. But I need to learn to back away from the mic during loud passages.

Too bad I don't have time anymore to redo the recordings. I'll just leave the distortion in there. Anyway, it can serve the purpose of showing how these mics respond when their diaphragm is overloaded with high SPL. I'm not saying they respond badly. Any mic will distort with an overly loud vocal at close range.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
....Any mic will distort with an overly loud vocal at close range.
I saw a post somewhere recently saying the Cascade Vinjet ribbon was the only mic that didn't distort on a loud female singer. I'm tempted....

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Is this also the reason I can't find the EV ND76 thread?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Doesn't really makes sense to me.
Joly's "key ingredient" for modding is a Chinese capsule.

Anyway, back to business.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No, it's not Joly. Definitely not Joly. Sorry, didn't intend to mislead. It's a guy named Chris. He's been on here as DreamCastle ,Escape222, and various other handles. It's always a dead give away by the way he trashes the same mics, starts the same old troll posts and by the videos he posts.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 ➡️
No, it's not Joly. Definitely not Joly. Sorry, didn't intend to mislead. It's a guy named Chris. He's been on here as DreamCastle ,Escape222, and various other handles. It's always a dead give away by the way he trashes the same mics, starts the same old troll posts and by the videos he posts.
Oh THAT dude. Gotcha. Super troll.

🎧 5 years
stay on topic plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato ➡️
Is this also the reason I can't find the EV ND76 thread?
Someone Buy The New Electro-Voice ND76

buy the crappy nd76
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan ➡️
I saw a post somewhere recently saying the Cascade Vinjet ribbon was the only mic that didn't distort on a loud female singer. I'm tempted....

It's true! It does not distort! I know first hand after working with a female artist that distorted on most of our mics whenever she would belt high notes. Vinjet is a great mic all around.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a Vin Jet for awhile too. Solid mic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I did a quick speaking test yesterday into my MKI vs my CM5. I was really surprised at how dark the MKI is even in V1 setting. At first I was taken aback but then I realized how meaty the lows and low mids were and how smooth the top end is. It probably takes EQ lifts very well I'm guessing. I think this might be a really great OH mic. Not sure I would use it on a singer unless they had a very high pitched and thin voice though? I have other premium mics for vocals anyway. Are my findings similar to you other owners with this mic?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I did a quick speaking test yesterday into my MKI vs my CM5. I was really surprised at how dark the MKI is even in V1 setting. At first I was taken aback but then I realized how meaty the lows and low mids were and how smooth the top end is. It probably takes EQ lifts very well I'm guessing. I think this might be a really great OH mic. Not sure I would use it on a singer unless they had a very high pitched and thin voice though? I have other premium mics for vocals anyway. Are my findings similar to you other owners with this mic?
What mics are you used to?

You can go back and listen to my U87 vs MKID clips. The U87 is closer to voice position 2 on the Warbler.

Maybe you just typically use pretty bright mics? The MKID doesn't strike me as dark, FWIW
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What mics are you used to?

You can go back and listen to my U87 vs MKID clips. The U87 is closer to voice position 2 on the Warbler.

Maybe you just typically use pretty bright mics? The MKID doesn't strike me as dark, FWIW

I've tried so many over the past two decades it would be a pretty long list if I wrote it out. I love dark, thick mics actually. u67/M269c are my favorites for vocals. I do like bright for pop and dark for just about everything else. I was going into a ua 4-710d with the hybrid setting right up the middle in between trans/tube. Both my MKI's sound the same so it's not an anomaly. I have two MKI's by the way not the D-versions.

I guess that's why I was surprised, i.e. your clips are not as dark. My room is untreated at the moment (just moved house and setup a mobile station in a spare bedroom) but that wouldn't contribute to what I'm hearing. At least I don't see how it could.

I hate my own voice...especially when speaking lol but I'll try and get enough courage up to post the quick comparison so you can hear exactly what I'm talking about. Hang on...
📝 Reply