Tube Pre's - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tube Pre's
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Tube Pre's

Hi Guys, I'm kind of a newbie to recording. I'm interested is some budget tube pre's that will warm up my tones. I'm recording all sorts of different stuff from EDM to Rock and even a little jazz and Orchestral stuff.

Im running a windows machine with Ableton Live 9 suite. My interface is the Tascam US 1800. My thinking is I get some sort of tube pre to "pass through" my mic's into my interface. I'm looking to warm up my tones mainly for drums and vocals. Am I way off here? If not anybody got a budget friendly recommendation? Or maybe even some other idea's for outboard hardware which will accomplish the same thing? Thanks, sluts!!!
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Some tube mic pres are dark and warm, others are really bright and hifi. Don't get caught up on whether or not something has a tube in it.

For a nice tube pre amp for warming stuff up, the Manley mic pres are great, but since you posted in the low end form that is probably out of your range.

When budget is tight I think you are much better off spending money on a Warmer mic. A lot of people get really bright cheap condenser and then try to warm them up after the fact. You are better off getting a warmer sounding mic to do the trick. For extreme warming up you can look at the the Cascade fathead mics, for something a little more balanced look at a Shure SM7 or and EV RE-20.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Thanks RCM... I've been eyeballing the RE-20. Heard lots of good things about it, was interested in using it for kick. I had a buddy who really like to use it on vocals, he said it worked really well with his voice (which it did) but I thought the re-20 wasn't generally used for vocals, am I wrong?? Right now I'm recording vocals with an NT1-A, I can get it to sound nice with a deesser, and I've read some criticism of this mic are harsh highs but alot of people tend to like it. I was just wondering if a tube pre would help, but I think your advice is solid. You think it's worth dropping the cash on a little better mics with the US-1800? I'm sure the pre's on it aren't that great to begin with.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The RE-20 IS a vocal mic... well, a mic designed for the human voice for broadcasting and vocals - it does not have the proximity effect of many mics and has a built-in pop. I have (among others) an RE-20 and SM7 and 9/10 times the RE-20 sounds better on voices for pretty much everyone except some really loud screamers.

EDIT: It's great on Kick too (and bass cabinets sometimes)
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Re-20 is great on a male voice...it's good, relatively versatile mic.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The RE-20 is a great vocal mic, used on many big records. I would much rather have an RE-20 than an NT1 any day of the week.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I really like the SM7b suggestions. Personally, I've never had much luck with an RE20 on vocals. I always get some weird sibilance going on with that mic and I"ve also found it to be a pretty hard sounding mic for vocals. Not nearly as soft and flattering as the SM7.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Cool... I'll look into the sm7 too, been hearing alot about that one. Thanks all.
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan ➑️
The RE-20 is a great vocal mic...
I like it on my voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan ➑️
I would much rather have an RE-20 than an NT1 any day of the week.
I think I sold my NT1 after getting an RE-20...
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstick ➑️
Hi Guys, I'm kind of a newbie to recording. I'm interested is some budget tube pre's that will warm up my tones. I'm recording all sorts of different stuff from EDM to Rock and even a little jazz and Orchestral stuff.

Im running a windows machine with Ableton Live 9 suite. My interface is the Tascam US 1800. My thinking is I get some sort of tube pre to "pass through" my mic's into my interface. I'm looking to warm up my tones mainly for drums and vocals. Am I way off here? If not anybody got a budget friendly recommendation? Or maybe even some other idea's for outboard hardware which will accomplish the same thing? Thanks, sluts!!!
The only budget tube pre that is out there that is also worth using is the ART MPA II (or it's older version, the MPA Gold). There is good gain, good headroom, and variable impedance as well (and it is two channels).
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Yeah, Ivmike... thats what I was looking at, I found one brand new for $219 and I just wanted to see if it was worth it.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It was mentioned (kinda) earlier but..... there are tube pre's.... and there are TUBE PRE's

A v72 is a pristine sounding amplifier, which still has everything that makes a tube sound like a tube.

A starved plate tube pre is just pretending, and does a disservice to the real thing by propelling the false notion that tube pres are "dark" etc.

my 2 cents
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove ➑️
It was mentioned (kinda) earlier but..... there are tube pre's.... and there are TUBE PRE's

A v72 is a pristine sounding amplifier, which still has everything that makes a tube sound like a tube.

A starved plate tube pre is just pretending, and does a disservice to the real thing by propelling the false notion that tube pres are "dark" etc.

my 2 cents
So are you saying that a budget tube pre, such as the art pro2, is a waste?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The ART Pro MPA isn't a bad preamp in the sense that you get a lot for your money, but I'd say that's more about character than warmth. It's still true that you're better off getting a mic that gives you what you want. If you read beyond the marketing hype, the effect that people call "warmth" is more about going through transformers than tubes. Nobody ever calls solid state Neve preamps sterile or cold.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't have any experience with the Art. I would look into what tube circuit is it using. In other words are the tubes working at full voltage, or is it a starved plate design.

If it were my money, I would buy an AEA TRP. I use it as often, if not more than the v72 and a Neve 1066.

It is that good, If your into high fidelity. If you like noise, distortion, "unflat" frequency response (which you may, that is part of what gives character), look elsewhere. But... if you like your vocals to soar above the mix with ease. Check out the trp.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Right on, thanks guys. I'm thinking I'll hold off on the tube pre's and work on getting better mic's... after all how much good could the pre do if your mic isn't cutting it.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you really want "warm",
I can tell you a SM57 and a Scully 280 micpre will do the job, sounds as "warm" as most older tubemicpre's...
It's all about the UTC
x-formers... You can find them cheap on Ebay...

Try it!

Best,
Tom
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The ART MPA is not starved plate. It runs around 150v. It also has a solid state gain stage.

The Sebatron pre-amps sound really nice.

Sebatron VMP 2000e Dual Tube Mic Pre | Soundpure.com
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstick ➑️
Yeah, Ivmike... thats what I was looking at, I found one brand new for $219 and I just wanted to see if it was worth it.
I own both the MPA II and the Gold; I re-tubed both (myself) and I have been very happy with them. If you are on a budget, it's a great preamp and it is a fantastic bass guitar DI as well.

The MPA is not starved plate (unless you disengage the "high voltage" switch).

$219 is a great price for a new unit.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Awesome, thanks for your reply. I'm definitely thinking about picking one up.
πŸ“ Reply