Quantcast
SM57 With Warts ???? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM57 With Warts ????
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
SM57 With Warts ????

I've got an SM57 that has developed bumps along the body and not sure what to make of it. At first I thought just the paint had blistered/bubbled, but after scraping at one of the bumps it's actually the metal beneath that is the bump and it doesn't appear like obvious corrosion which might be loose and powdery from what I can see, unless it's within the metal. This is from a group of three that I bought brand new back in 1995 from a reputable brick and mortar store and this is the only one like this. This particular one had been in the original plastic sleeve/bag in its own zippered pouch for a bunch of years until I got out last night.
I did use it last night for some vocals and it sounds like any other SM57 I have, so the warts didn't affect its ability to capture sound, just looks sickly.

Anyone else ever run across this?
Attached Thumbnails
SM57 With Warts ????-sm57-warts-1.jpg  
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
rock and rolls a dirty business; i think someone used your mic with-out protection. naughty.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents ➑️
rock and rolls a dirty business; i think someone used your mic with-out protection. naughty.
But he said it was in the original sheath.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
humidly ??
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
why are you sexing your mic? that's gross!
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Plastic holds in condensation, so if the temperature fluctuates and condensation forms, it does not readily evaporate. Corrosion/rust?
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Cast magnesium-alloy body.... It's definitely surface corrosion under the paint.

-tINY

Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️

Cast magnesium-alloy body.... It's definitely surface corrosion under the paint.

-tINY

That's what I originally thought, but I figured corrosion would look powdery white or similar. This is just the metal bubbled up.

I unscrewed the body and it seems most of the "warts" are in the area where the the transformer potting is located, which makes me think if any corrosion took place, it was within the body and developed enough pressure to bubble the metal from inside.

I'm thinkin' this might be a good candidate for a mod.
Attached Thumbnails
SM57 With Warts ????-warts-2.jpg  
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Well, it's just a stinky 57... You could sand it smooth and rattle-can it with a funky color.... just make sure to mask off the connector and head/grill.

Or, leave it and tell anyone who asks that they should use protection when putting things in damp places.

-tINY

Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️

Well, it's just a stinky 57... You could sand it smooth and rattle-can it with a funky color.... just make sure to mask off the connector and head/grill.

Or, leave it and tell anyone who asks that they should use protection when putting things in damp places.

-tINY

I did an E/V mic handle with some black heatshrink tubing. This one with probably get the same.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, if it's any consolation, there's at least one here with that exact same issue. Not fond of the look myself, but it works.

George
πŸ“ Reply