Quantcast
Bought a Focusrite ISA One, but... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bought a Focusrite ISA One, but...
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Bought a Focusrite ISA One, but...

I'm having issues with it, and I need some help. My disclaimer is that I'm still a noob at this.

My current setup is as follows: Shure SM7B/Rode NT2-A >> Focusrite ISA One >> Presonus Audiobox USB >> USB Port on my computer into REAPER.

The issue I'm having is that I'm getting too much gain. I'm using the Presonus purely as an input for the computer, as the ISA One has no USB port. All of my levels on the Presonus are zero'd out, so I shouldn't be getting any extra signal from that. Or so I think.

I have to lower the gain on the Focusrite pretty much to zero in order to keep the vocals I'm recording from clipping. And in doing that, the resulting recordings sound dull and lifeless.

I'm suspecting that even though I have the levels on the Presonus all zero'd out, I'm still getting gain from that device before it goes into the computer. The VU meter on the ISA isn't showing clipping, yet, I'm getting clipping in my resulting recording.

Any one have any advice/tips/insight into this? I'd like something to go on before I go out and spend more money on more hardware that might not solve the problem.

Thaankss!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hi, I checked the Presonus audiobox usb and if I'm not mistaken it has no line in level input.
Only mic input and instrument input.
You need to connect the ISA one out to a line level input.
So an interface that has line in next to mic and instrument in.

Good luck
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Take a look at your gain settings on both the interface and the preamp.

On the Isa one you have two different gain settings.

0db - 30db and 30db - 60 db.

The isa also has a trim pot so its definitely something that can be fixed.
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apartment dog ➑️
Hi, I checked the Presonus audiobox usb and if I'm not mistaken it has no line in level input.
Only mic input and instrument input.
You need to connect the ISA one out to a line level input.
So an interface that has line in next to mic and instrument in.

Good luck
He's right. Best thing to do is sell your presonus and get an interface that you can enjoy using the ISA One with...
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by epotts06 ➑️
Take a look at your gain settings on both the interface and the preamp.

On the Isa one you have two different gain settings.

0db - 30db and 30db - 60 db.

The isa also has a trim pot so its definitely something that can be fixed.
Even if he can get the levels under control by using the bare minimum gain on the ISA, its not really a recipe for good results to hit a low level signal coming from a good pre into another gain stage of a mediocre pre, etc
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth ➑️
Even if he can get the levels under control by using the bare minimum gain on the ISA, its not really a recipe for good results to hit a low level signal coming from a good pre into another gain stage of a mediocre pre, etc
I did not know for certain that the audiobox does not have line level inputs.
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks a bunch, everyone. I kind of figured this was the case, but I didn't wanna go spending $$$ of dollars unless I was sure. Thanks again! I'll start researching for the appropriate interface now. And if you all have any interface suggestions, I'm definitely open to suggestions.
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 Audio Interface | Musician's Friend

Would this be a good choice? I've heard a lot of good thing about the Scarlets for the price, but I want to double check before I actually buy it.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Homeslice...why not get a plain old soundcard to install on your computer instead of an interface? Since you got the ISA ONE, you don't need the interface preamps, only the AD conversion. I used the M Audio 192 and love it.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 ➑️
Homeslice...why not get a plain old soundcard to install on your computer instead of an interface? Since you got the ISA ONE, you don't need the interface preamps, only the AD conversion. I used the M Audio 192 and love it.
I could do that, but what about multi-tracking? Can't really do that with the ISA...
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If you have the dough, the SPL Crimson looks really slick to me :D Super flexible and super sexy!
πŸ“ Reply